Ozzie wants a new #2 hitter

beck72

From today's trib, comments from yesterdays press conference:

"I want more speed," said Guillen, whose Sox finished third in the AL with 132 stolen bases. "It's not fair to get [scott] Podsednik on base, Podsednik on base, Podsednik on base and when the kid doesn't get on base, the heat comes to him.

"Hopefully we can get somebody who can run. I want a second hitter so we can put Iguchi down in the sixth or seventh spot to get more [run production] out of him."

I agree the sox need to have another OBP option with speed in case of an injury to Pods, and to give the sox more options for scoring runs. Interesting call though where would you put that #2 hitter with speed. Ideas?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
From today's trib, comments from yesterdays press conference:

"I want more speed," said Guillen, whose Sox finished third in the AL with 132 stolen bases. "It's not fair to get [scott] Podsednik on base, Podsednik on base, Podsednik on base and when the kid doesn't get on base, the heat comes to him.

"Hopefully we can get somebody who can run. I want a second hitter so we can put Iguchi down in the sixth or seventh spot to get more [run production] out of him."

I agree the sox need to have another OBP option with speed in case of an injury  to Pods, and to give the sox more options for scoring runs. Interesting call though where would you put that #2 hitter with speed. Ideas?

castillo? pierre? furcal?

i think oz has got kenny's ear, he proved it last season. this is what i like to hear.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
I agree the sox need to have another OBP option with speed in case of an injury  to Pods, and to give the sox more options for scoring runs. Interesting call though where would you put that #2 hitter with speed. Ideas?

Crede (Scot Boras client) traded before his FA year. Uribe to 3B. New #2 plays SS?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
Gooch batted third in Japan. I wonder how he'll like a further demotion to 6 or 7 in the order?

They quoted Tads on more than occasion saying he would like to hit in a postion where he could swing the bat. If he was in the 6th or 7th spot in the order he would be able to do just that.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
castillo?  pierre?  furcal?

i think oz has got kenny's ear, he proved it last season.  this is what i like to hear.

Luis Castillo would be a perect fit. He could DH, and play 2b, giving Iguchi some days off. When he plays 2b, the sox could rotate guys in at DH

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Crede (Scot Boras client) traded before his FA year.

Not going to happen. Crede's a huge part of the sox going forward. And despite his good playoffs, Joe's a .250 hitter. He's not going to get Eric Chavez money. Now, if Joe hits like .280 with 25 hrs and 100 rbi's this year....

My off the wall prediction for this offseason was for the sox to aquire Juan Pierre from the Marlins, so I am going to stick to this prediction... I have no reason to belive that this is accully happen, but I predicted AROD getting traded to the Yanks and Colon going to the Sox along with the sox getting Pods in the past few years. Having said that I have been wrong about 70% of the time :huh: :D :lolhitting

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
My off the wall prediction for this offseason was for the sox to aquire Juan Pierre from the Marlins, so I am going to stick to this prediction... I have no reason to belive that this is accully happen, but I predicted AROD getting traded to the Yanks and Colon going to the Sox along with the sox getting Pods in the past few years.  Having said that I have been wrong about 70% of the time  :huh:  :D  :lolhitting

We'd be regressing. Rowand >>>> Pierre.

I think a good cheap option to fill in some speed is Kenny Lofton. Left Handed, high OBP(.395), good speed (22SB/3CS), tons of experience. He is at a stage in his career where he only expects 250-350 AB's, he would be a great replacement for Timo.

I know this isn't exactly what Ozzie wanted, he's probably looking for a full-time player to bat #2, and I have a sneaky feeling we will see both Anderson and Borchard on this team, which would make getting another OF out of the question.

But if one of those guys get's moved, Lofton would be a great addition, and if Pods got banged up like he did in the 2nd half this year, Lofton is a proven lead-off hitter who could slip right in there without us losing too much.

I know that this isn't a likely signing at this point, too crowded in the outfield at the moment, but Lofton has always been a great player, seems to end up on winning teams a lot, has tons of experience, is left-handed, fits the mold of what this team is about, and should come fairly cheap.

Edited by Fingish

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
I think a good cheap option to fill in some speed is Kenny Lofton. Left Handed, high OBP(.395), good speed (22SB/3CS), tons of experience.  He is at a stage in his career where he only expects 250-350 AB's, he would be a great replacement for Timo.

I know this isn't exactly what Ozzie wanted, he's probably looking for a full-time player to bat #2, and I have a sneaky feeling we will see both Anderson and Borchard on this team, which would make getting another OF out of the question. 

But if one of those guys get's moved, Lofton would be a great addition, and if Pods got banged up like he did in the 2nd half this year, Lofton is a proven lead-off hitter who could slip right in there without us losing too much.

I know that this isn't a likely signing at this point, too crowded in the outfield at the moment, but Lofton has always been a great player, seems to end up on winning teams a lot, has tons of experience, is left-handed, fits the mold of what this team is about, and should come fairly cheap.

Lofton offers a lot in a short term role, and is a solid clubhouse guy, IMO. But I think the Sox with the $$ to spend will be looking for a solid option. At least I hope they stay away from the band-aids.

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
:finger

Right back atcha...

Hey mods.. aren't the above comments about Kenny Lofton vacation material? :rolly

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I think it just looks childish. Grow up. If you really feel the need to say "*Insert players name here*  is a piece of s***, and should never play in the major leauges again" then you shouldn't be allowed to post on Soxtalk.

Tony is a brilliant mod.. ;)