Minor League playoffs: should you care?

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
I still can't believe people are following the minor league playoffs. lol. I'd rather watch a midget f*** a possum.

How is it different than a regular season game? It's still evaluation time for White Sox prospects.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 02:56 AM)
How is it different than a regular season game? It's still evaluation time for White Sox prospects.

For the organization, yeah. I'm talking about you guys. It seems some of you really care if Great Falls or Winston-Salem wins their league title. Like will you order a 2010 Winston-Salem High A championship shirt? Oh my god. I busted out laughing typing that. To each their own. The minor leagues to me are nothing more then for player development.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
For the organization, yeah. I'm talking about you guys. It seems some of you really care if Great Falls or Winston-Salem wins their league title. Like will you order a 2010 Winston-Salem High A championship shirt? Oh my god. I busted out laughing typing that. To each their own. The minor leagues to me are nothing more then for player development.

Yeah I'm the same. Obviously it's preferable if they win, but I don't care either way.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)

Not picking on you J4L, but once in a while people post similar things... and it drives me crazy... I'm going to use your post as an example to make a point.

If all the Sox minor league teams finished in last place, no doubt people would comment on it as validation for their impression that our system sucks.

But if a team plays well enough to make the playoffs, it's not worth commenting on? Except to announce your lack of interest as a post in the minor league forum... and question why people are interested???

The point of a forum is that it provides a place for people who ARE interested in a subject to talk about it, isn't it?

So why show up just to piss in the pool and call the swimmers stupid?

Plus... I would think that if you are interested in player development, that you would find this thread interesting. Successful MLB player development systems typically have minor league teams in the playoffs on a regular basis. Not only is their an obvious correlation between good players and good teams... Player development includes teaching people how to win under playoff pressure too.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
Not picking on you J4L, but once in a while people post similar things... and it drives me crazy... I'm going to use your post as an example to make a point.

If all the Sox minor league teams finished in last place, no doubt people would comment on it as validation for their impression that our system sucks.

But if a team plays well enough to make the playoffs, it's not worth commenting on? Except to announce your lack of interest as a post in the minor league forum... and question why people are interested???

The point of a forum is that it provides a place for people who ARE interested in a subject to talk about it, isn't it?

Plus... I would think that if you are interested in player development, that you would find this thread interesting. Successful MLB player development systems typically have minor league teams in the playoffs on a regular basis. Not only is their an obvious correlation between good players and good teams... Player development includes teaching people how to win under playoff pressure too.

+1 Well put.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)

I really care how W-S does n play offs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)

YES, if Great Falls wins the Pioneer league championship, I WILL go buy a GREAT FALLS VOYAGERS PIONEER LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SHIRT and probably a hat too! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)

Outstanding post. Backs up alot of us minor league followers quite well. I've followed since I started posting here in 04. I've played with (or against) or befriended some guys in the minors in other teams' affiliates (and one in ours currently) and I've watched alot of prospects since college. (some who I've seen or heard about in high school) I care alot about how these guys do, and hell they are in the playoffs. I don't care in your in high school, college, rookie ball or in the MLB, that is always very cool to be apart of and win for your team and yourself.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)

Why stop caring after caring all year long? I spend $1,000 on season tickets every year, I want the Barons to win and go to the playoffs. Those teams have fans, it's easy to say that when you don't live in a minor league town. Those players care and they are part of the organization you are a fan of. Why wouldn't you want them to succeed? Just because the minors are for development, doesn't mean that winning a league title is irrelevant. That's work that the players have put in all year. I understand if you don't care about them winning or losing, but you're basically saying that the minor league teams don't matter and equating them to a glorified practice squad. They wouldn't play competitive games at all or keep records if the teams and leagues weren't legitimate. You're insulting the fans in those cities by saying winning or losing a league title doesn't matter. We don't all live in Chicago.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Why stop caring after caring all year long? I spend $1,000 on season tickets every year, I want the Barons to win and go to the playoffs. Those teams have fans, it's easy to say that when you don't live in a minor league town. Those players care and they are part of the organization you are a fan of. Why wouldn't you want them to succeed? Just because the minors are for development, doesn't mean that winning a league title is irrelevant. That's work that the players have put in all year. I understand if you don't care about them winning or losing, but you're basically saying that the minor league teams don't matter and equating them to a glorified practice squad. They wouldn't play competitive games at all or keep records if the teams and leagues weren't legitimate. You're insulting the fans in those cities by saying winning or losing a league title doesn't matter. We don't all live in Chicago.

:headbang

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)

J4L

645.jpg

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)

:drink Great post!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)

Like I said, to each their own. I've never in my baseball fan life given two s***s about whether one of our minor league affiliates actually won or lost a game. All I care about when it comes to the minor leagues are LEGITIMATE prospects, not nice guys (Jeff Bajenaru comes to mind) that have no chance in hell of making it to The Show. I look at this Dash team, and I don't see one guy with a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing Chicago before, I don't know, 2013? If then? And another thing that makes minor league titles worthless is that the elite talent is obviously going to make it to the big leagues at some point during any given year. The elite talent that's leftover usually jumps at least one level during any particular year. So by playoff time you don't even have anything close to the team you started with most of the time. Just a bunch of roster filler and AAAA guys on their last harrahs before it's time to go out and get a real job. I will say you have a point for those that don't live in Chicago. But you have to see where I'm coming from as well.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
Like I said, to each their own. I've never in my baseball fan life given two s***s about whether one of our minor league affiliates actually one or lost a game. All I care about when it comes to the minor leagues are LEGITIMATE prospects, not nice guys (Jeff Bajenaru comes to mind) that have no chance in hell of making it to The Show. I look at this Dash team, and I don't see one guy with a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing Chicago before, I don't know, 2013? If then? And another thing that makes minor league titles worthless is that the elite talent is obviously going to make it to the big leagues at some point during any given year. The elite talent that's leftover usually jumps at least one level during any particular year. So by playoff time you don't even have anything close to the team you started with most of the time. Just a bunch of roster filler and AAAA guys on their last harrahs before it's time to go out and get a real job. I will say you have a point for those that don't live in Chicago. But you have to see where I'm coming from as well.

I see you must live in DOWNERS Grove.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Like I said, to each their own. I've never in my baseball fan life given two s***s about whether one of our minor league affiliates actually won or lost a game. All I care about when it comes to the minor leagues are LEGITIMATE prospects, not nice guys (Jeff Bajenaru comes to mind) that have no chance in hell of making it to The Show. I look at this Dash team, and I don't see one guy with a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing Chicago before, I don't know, 2013? If then? And another thing that makes minor league titles worthless is that the elite talent is obviously going to make it to the big leagues at some point during any given year. The elite talent that's leftover usually jumps at least one level during any particular year. So by playoff time you don't even have anything close to the team you started with most of the time. Just a bunch of roster filler and AAAA guys on their last harrahs before it's time to go out and get a real job. I will say you have a point for those that don't live in Chicago. But you have to see where I'm coming from as well.

Just because these guys get paid to have fun and do what they love and a lot of people would sacrifice a small child to get to do, does not mean that it's not a real job. They work a lot harder than a lot of people with "real jobs". They have VERY little time for themselves and they work extremely hard every day for 6 months straight, they might get a total of 10 days off if they get sent to a rainy area of the country ...And it's not just b**** work they do all day ..it's working out and other strenuous activity all before playing a 9 inning game ...IF it doesn't go into extra innings ..could go to 20 ..you never know! Then after the season ends they go home and work a normal job too. Some of these guys have everything handed to them, yes, but some of them have to work hard ..harder than a lot of us who have hours free enough to post on Soxtalk each day.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)

All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with wanting them to win the league title. But most of us have cared all season long about them winning games, so why all of the sudden would these games be more meaningless than the regular season games?

I love MiLB. And not because it's a feeder system for MLB. The quality of games and competition is generally very good. You get closer to the field and the players. It won't drive you into the poor-house to go.

You get to see some players who will make it to the majors, often before anyone except scouts and hardcore fans really know anything about them. One of the best parts, IMO, are the surprises that come as a result of watching players develop... guys who don't look like much... and then the 'light bulb' turns on for them.

I think it's exciting and fun. And apparently alot of other people do too. Because attendance at MiLB games has literally exploded over the last 5-10 years.

Another thought...

I enjoy watching and following sports at all levels... not just "major league". If sports was all about who was going to 'make it' at the top professional levels, then why bother watching college football or basketball? The odds of minor league baseball players making it are at least as good as that.

The way I look at it... these are sort of like the "WhiteSox College" teams. And I follow them and think about them pretty much the same way I do other college sports.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
I love MiLB. And not because it's a feeder system for MLB. The quality of games and competition is generally very good. You get closer to the field and the players. It won't drive you into the poor-house to go.

You get to see some players who will make it to the majors, often before anyone except scouts and hardcore fans really know anything about them. One of the best parts, IMO, are the surprises that come as a result of watching players develop... guys who don't look like much... and then the 'light bulb' turns on for them.

I think it's exciting and fun. And apparently alot of other people do too. Because attendance at MiLB games has literally exploded over the last 5-10 years.

I feel the same.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Another thought...

I enjoy watching and following sports at all levels... not just "major league". If sports was all about who was going to 'make it' at the top professional levels, then why bother watching college football or basketball? The odds of minor league baseball players making it are at least as good as that.

The way I look at it... these are sort of like the "WhiteSox College" teams. And I follow them and think about them pretty much the same way I do other college sports.

Also the same.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)

The irony here is that you post on a baseball message board, where what you are saying is even less relevant than anything you are posting because you have exactly a zero chance of having anything to do with the White Sox organization, well, ever. By that logic, you should never want anyone to read or hear what you have to say about the Sox.