Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:06 PM) Lmao this is such an about face for you. Before this hire all you could do was complain same ole same ole Bears don't hire anyone they don't know blah blah. Now when they do, you act like Ballard would have been good to come in and fix it because he has been here and knows where the skeletons are and the McCaskeys want all the power. Yeah, I thought you wanted someone from the outside.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:53 PM) I believe what Gabriel said. He knows Ballard and probably did talk with him. I'm surprised he gave that info up. LOL Bernstein has said it was more that Ballard spent too much time on organization and not enough on roster where Pace knocked it out and spent his time on roster. My problem is, no GM in the world can do it on their own. We need as many bright football people in the building as possible. Just hearing some of this stuff makes me cringe because in theory, Ballard has seen how it is done in halas and how it is done elsewhere and essentially knows what is broke in Chicago and could legitimately offer ways of fixing it. Not knocking Pace, just disappointing if it was the fact that Ballard was more negative and more pointed about what needed to change internally (in addition to roster...but maybe not as focused on roster). Part of me says the roster is largely a work in process anyway which starts with the draft, so how much time should you really spend on it other than maybe giving your opinion of systems that you like, your general view of the players, etc, and clearly an opinion of what went wrong on the field last year. I dont' want someone coming in and making an imaginary roster or something. That is a bunch of fluff anyway. I just picture Pace going...see I trade Cutler for Rodgers and than do this and that and bam...superbowl contender. Not really but kind of like that and McCaskey and Phillips going, oh we can get Rodgers...oh yeah that would be great.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Some say Ballard spent more time talking about the structure within the organization that needed to be put in place and less time discussing the roster and those components (which is understandable). Doesn't sound like Bears liked it or were ready for that much change. A lot of this I think is Gabriel speculating based upon past conversations he has had with Ballard about it (I don't think they have talked recently).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:44 PM) Greg Gabriel: "Chris Ballard knew where the problems were in the organization, and what he told the Bears on how to fix it, the Bears didn't like"... He also mentioned that Sean Payton respects Pace as much as anyone else in the league and has for a long time. Confirmed Bears probably wanted to break from the past. I totally believe Gabriel's first quote, haha. I hope it isn't true but I could very much see it being the case. I could imagine Ballard came in and told it like it was and what was needed to fix and they didn't like it cause it impacted too many within the organization. Pace came in and had a good pitch, which wasn't near as negative on the organization and it blew them away. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't find that very alarming. The settling point is Acorsi was involved too.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Greg Gabriel: "Chris Ballard knew where the problems were in the organization, and what he told the Bears on how to fix it, the Bears didn't like"... He also mentioned that Sean Payton respects Pace as much as anyone else in the league and has for a long time. Confirmed Bears probably wanted to break from the past.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Now this gets me excited (maybe, while never having a direct title, he was involved in the draft) Peggy Kusinski @peggykusinski 2m2 minutes ago Per #Saints media new #Bears Pace responsible for unearthing guys like jermon bushrod, jahri evans, marques colston and pierre thomas.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 10s10 seconds ago Rival exec on Bears' hire of GM Ryan Pace: "Excellent. Coaches love him. Good pro guy. Hard worker. Very conscientious." Larry Holder @LarryHolder 5m5 minutes ago Loomis on Pace at '14 Senior Bowl: "I kind of feel like he's been our secret for a while, but look, he's a great, young personnel director"
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
For those doubting Ernie's involvement:
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:27 PM) He is the guy that was waiting in the hallway for a couple hours for his interview earlier. I bet that was an initial shock. Got to hope Pace was ready. Talk about moving swiftly.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
HE is in fact the youngest GM in the league. Now the next exciting part...who will the coach be.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Doug Marone was the OC for the Saints before Kromer, during the first first 3 years of Payton's tenure. Just an FYI. Give it half an hour and the Chicago media will pick up on this and rumors of Marone will start.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Some reaction. Lot of good feedback in there and I liked what Glazer talked about, basically that Pace (similar to Ballard) had been waiting out for the right spot. Makes me feel good. I'll end my negativity.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:01 PM) Early reports are that it wasnt the case of Ballard backing out. I think it was Zaidman that reported that they were prepared to offer the job to Ballard and were leaning towards him but Pace just blew them away. I just think interview is just a component, you got to look at background and track record and everything else too. Maybe Chris was more realistic with the Bears in the interview and the rebuliding than Pace, who knows. I really don't like the fact that our GM doesn't have an extensive background in college scouting and the draft, which to me is one of the biggest part of being a GM (not the only part but you can't be a successful GM without successfully drafting, imo). Of course I base this on what his bio said and for all I know he was always very involved in the draft room and did actually have a lot of input / say in draft picks in New Orleans. He is more experienced than Ballard from the standpoint that he almost served as the quasi GM this past off-season. Of course the Saints off-season was a lot like the Bears, a lot of paper championships were awarded but on the field results were the opposite.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
One thing that I don't like...if you look at his background, he has very very little college scouting background. That worries me.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Random sidenote: I still don't think the interview should necessarily be the selling point. Hopefully they liked his track record, references, etc. I'm sure Bears have pretty good relations with Payton and were able to talk to him. Than again, I'm sure we heard good things about Kromer too Excited to hear his press conference. I am also curious to hear what Ernie's feedback was (or if the Bears will address that or not) during the press conference. One thing I do wonder is whether anything will leak about Ballard not being as interested or what.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Told you guys they'd find a way to have Bowles in...now to see if Bowles knocks the Bears socks off. I like the fact that supposedly Pace's approach at a multi-year rebuilding plan knocked all of their socks off and his proposed approach I guess was better than Ballard's. That said, its all freaking hypothetical so hard to really say. At least its a guy from a winning organization but I really admire what the Chiefs have accomplished the past two years without an elite QB. I also think the Chiefs are a team that has a lot more overall talent than say the Saints. I've never viewed the Saints as loaded with talent and always felt that they were a flawed team that thankfully had masterful offensive personnel, specifically Brees, who could never seem to get the defense right (not sure how much that falls on Pace per say). Hopefully he's one of these young wiz kids that one day can move to the president role after winning a few superbowls as we promote from within some bright people who develop under him Geeze...37. Would that make him the youngest GM in the league?
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:05 PM) Not sure if thats good or bad but I think that says we are putting a premium on scouting How good were the Saints drafts?
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:33 AM) But if Accorsi is a paid consultant, and interviewed them, wouldn't that count? I don't think he did interview the coaches, and I think he should have. IMO, unless you are talking contract, George and Ted talking to a potential coach is worthless. George & Ted should still be in the room. Ultimately they sign the checks. I think they should go off of the consultants recommendation but they also have to be comfortable with the process. I don't think they should just wait outside while Ernie does all the work. If I were a candidate and I couldn't meet with the owner and president and talk to them and understand their visions of your role, etc, I'd look very poorly on the Bears organization and would not be interested in working with them. I have no idea whether Ernie was in the interviews with the coaches or not but that decision shouldn't be made by Ernie so I am less concerned (as long as Ted / George let the GM make whatever decision on HC and i have no reason to believe the GM won't be allowed to do that). Would you prefer the Bears tell their next GM candidate that our adviser really liked so and so and we are going to hire him? That wouldn't make sense either. I want our GM to completely dictate who he wants. The coach still needs to meet and ownership still needs to sign off on it but I wouldn't expect a veto unless their was some insane red flag on the candidate (like, no, that candidate said all of these derogatory things about my mom Virginia). As long as Ernie is involved with the GM stuff, that is all that matters in my book. Also, I should point out, If I were the owners, I'd have let Ernie coach me so I could ultimately lead the meeting and ask the key questions, etc. I want as much of this stuff coming out of my mouth vs. having a 3rd party doing everything. That could look very poorly, imo. Than, Ernie can jump in with occasional questions and commentary as well. I presume it should be a pretty fluid discussion and would presume a lot of the talking is being done by the GM and not the other way around.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:22 AM) If the GM is hiring the coach and Accorsi has interviewed the candidate, what is the purpose of said candidate going to Halas Hall to anwers questions from Geoge and Ted? What questions are they asking? If it is ANYTHING football related, NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT HALAS HALL. If you saw my other post, by interviewing candidates of playoff teams who had bye weeks, if said teams stay in the playoffs, you are actually able to re-interview them during the bye week between the conference championships and the superbowl. If you didn't interview them during the initial bye week, you have to wait until after the superbowl to interview them again. By meeting with candidates with the Seahawks / Broncos, we basically gave ourselves a shot at having our GM meet with them during the bye week. Otherwise, first shot we'd have at those candidates (if we were interested), would be after the superbowl (which I certainly wouldn't want us making our first impressions that late).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:42 AM) It would be awesome if their new GM is now part of the process, but a pipedream IMO Bowles would take the job if offered.. Why would Bowles blow off the 49ers and Falcons for the Bears, which is considered the worst job of the 3? I don't think Bowles would necessarily take the job before meeting with the other teams but part of that comes down to how confident is he in terms of his rank with those other teams and if he were to meet with our GM, how good of a sales pitch can our GM make (Supposedly that is a major strength of Ballard's).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Alright...I'm going to do some Steve like reporting and decide that we will hear that our new GM, Chris Ballard, was part of the Bowles interview. By the end of today we will know who are GM is (I think the Bears brass already knows) and if the Bears like what they hear from Bowles, they will make an aggressive push to stop him from visiting the Niners / Falcons later on.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:24 AM) And if Accorsi isn't asking these candidates questions, exactly what is his purpose? Just to get names? These names were all pretty well known since Emery and Trestman were still Bears employees. George and Ted interviewing someone for football position is like Derrick Rose interviewing potential rocket scientists. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Have Accorsi interview these guys, give his recommondation, and then bring Ted and George in to see if they are comfortable with the dollars and personality. They shouldn't be asking football questions. They have proven they aren't qualified to do that. Accorsi has been interviewing the GM's, which is the important hire that Ernie is involved with. I am going to presume that something came up with Adam Gase that Ernie didn't attend, but either way, that is less of a focal point since the Bears aren't going to hire a coach without bringing in a GM and the GM will be the one asking the HC the questions that matter and making the final decision. If the Bears were to hire Gase today, without having a GM in place and without Ernie being involved, at that point, we can all get upset cause that would be awful. However, I don't think that is the case and with all of the misinformation out there and the fact that one person reported that Ernie wasn't in that interview, how do we even know that is the case. I know I read multiple tweets that pointed to Ernie taking part in all of the GM interviews (at a minimum).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Per Jason LaFoncora (NFL Network)
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Per Ed Werder
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:19 AM) Brad Biggs @BradBiggs · 3h #Bears interviewing #Cardinals DC Todd Bowles for head coaching position today after schedule change. A look at him http://trib.in/13RIbZu I meant like what time. Morning, Afternoon, etc. I say that because when it came to Melo, literally the media was following his limo. Shouldn't they be doing something similar. This is the Bears we are talking about. The Bears trump every other sports franchise in Chicago (like it or not). Scooping this type of news is huge for any Bear reporter and for whichever media outlet employees said reporter.