Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. Ballard is reportedly still in Chicago (per the Score).
  2. You would think with the Bears done interviewing 4 candidates, that some of the candidates would at least start getting informed that the Bears are going to head in a different direction (and at least than, those groups would start leaking info). I guess the question is, do the Bears think they need 2nd round interviews with certain candidates or did they get to spend enough time with them in 1 interview. How come the Chicago media can't figure out when Bowles is interviewing? I figure something gets leaked prior to his interview but would be nice to know when that is scheduled for.
  3. QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 10:07 AM) No offense to Gage, but that doesn't sound like a rock solid source. I never said it was a solid source. I don't personally believe it, but thought it was at least worthy of sharing as an FYI.
  4. QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:56 AM) Ya, he's much worse. They are entirely different. One is out partying all the time (nothing illegal) where as the other has had 1 illegal moment and one much more serious, but he was never convicted moment. None of us know what happened there. Had he been innocent though, than really he has had 1 theft incident (which was stupid but in the grand scheme of things minor) and an incident at school that probably never gets blown out of proportion (had it not been for the 1st incident; however, you can't ignore his stupidity for doing said incident given he has had to live in the shadows of that 1st incident). It really comes out to what is out their in the inside circles regarding his main incident. If everyone really doesn't think there was much smoke their (and I have no earthly idea), than I really wouldn't be worried about his off the field issues. However, if 1 is more of a "coverup" than well, I don't take him.
  5. QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:54 AM) Ok well that settles it then. I hope Winston fails so you guys can be wrong in your strong convictions and I can be right. And when we are right, it won't matter to you cause Bears will be winning. Sounds like a win win. I should point out that I am notoriously wrong on Bears QB's so my thoughts are pretty worthless. I tend to be pretty accurate on other teams but I must be overly biased when it comes to Bears QB's.
  6. QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:33 AM) If you actually watched the majority of their games you would see why they aren't really comparable. As a FSU fan, I was shocked and laughed when I saw Ponder and Manuel get drafted in the first round. Manuel in particular I can't tell you how many times would just chuck the ball downfield and have one of his big WRs just go up and grab it. Winston is totally different. He puts balls in windows that are barely there, he throws to spots that get his receivers open instead of waiting for an open man, and he uses his mobility only when necessary. Look, I personally agree with those saying they would not want their team to draft him, because I'm done rooting for him too and wouldn't want him on my NFL team, but for anyone to deny his ability and potential and to use weak comparisons is just being ignorant and willfully blind because of the stuff in his personal life. He's an exceptional talent who was spotted in high school and has actually lived up to the hype. From a pure ability on the field, he is more than worthy of being the #1 pick. Obviously, his off the field baggage changes things, but I just do not understand those who try to deny the talent, other than doing so out of some grudge against him. Sonix...your insights are super valuable and very consistent with what I saw and my thoughts. I really think if it weren't for those off the field issues, Winston would be getting talked about as being a once in a generation type QB prospect. That is how good I think his football skills are. And I agree with you that FSU didn't have a lot of talent around him and the dude still carried his team to a playoff game (and led his team back in the National Championship game last year). He has done it all. It would be absurd to not pick him at 7 if he were available (unless he totally bombs interviews, etc). I don't think he is even very much like Manziel, from the off the field perspective, either.
  7. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:00 AM) If that is the case, i wonder if Ballard has any regrets about telling everyone he is not interested I don't think so. It is clear he is confident that he will get a job and will only take a job that is on his terms where he is confident that he'll have the opportunity to succeed. I personally am skeptical on this but I also long thought all those reports on Ballard being pre-chosen as the guy and it already was a done deal, a bunch of BS too. I just hope the Bears are picking who they think is the best candidate. I don't want them listen to all these people who poo-poo Ballard just cause he spent time in our organization and the McCaskey's hearing that and letting it influence their decision. And to be frank, as stupid as that sounds, I wouldn't put it past them. At least Pace comes from a winning organization. I want the report to be false though...I think Ballard is a tremendous fit but I'm just an armchair owner.
  8. Saw this on another board. This is from someone who "supposedly" has a close connection to someone within the Bears organization. Take it for what you will, but the individual indicates the Bears will announce they have hired Pace prior to interviewing Bowles. Evidently he blew the Bears away. I am still hoping it is Ballard.
  9. QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:03 AM) McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere. Such a fun rotation. Bere is now the bullpen coach for the Indians I believe.
  10. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:40 AM) I didnt think Accorsi was supposed to be the interviewer, he was supposed to provide Philips and McCaskey candidates and info on them. I do think he spends time prepping them on questions but he is directly involved with the GM interviews (to what extent who knows) but to me that is the key hire that he is influencing and involved with. Accorsi shouldn't be the one making the head coaching decision. He can provide lists and feedback but that is the GM's job. I'd be irritated if I found out that Accorsi wasn't taking part in Pace or Ballard's interviews but by all accounts he has been at all of the GM interviews.
  11. QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:29 AM) an independent evaluation by two people that are not qualified to give an independent evaluation does not make for a positive result. Also if the GM is going to hire the coach why are the ticket manager and accountant interviewing him? This has been stated a lot, but if the Bears didn't interview them and the teams advanced to the playoffs (e.g., Seattle and Denver, which are the only two teams whose head coaches we have interviewed), than we would not be able to interview them again until after the superbowl. However, if you at least have a preliminary interview with them, you can than meet with them again during the bye week leading up to the superbowl. That is why the Bears met with Gase and the Seahawks guys. It was a preliminary meeting for us to show interest, get initial info, and I'm sure told them, we are going to work on hiring our GM and will than have him vividly involved and in charge of the next conversation, etc. Strategically it would have been stupid not to interview them. And in the case of Bowles, I think this is more of a matter of the Bears organization doing Atlanta a favor and moving our interview because of things more important than football. I'm going to guess we planned on Saturday because it worked for us and allowed us time to have our GM in place. Either way, you usually bring in guys twice prior to hiring them (unless you already had a lot of comfort with him). I still wonder if the Bears have made up their mind or if some more candidates will be brought in for the GM spot. If not, I would think they would have an announcement come out today (or you'd at least start hearing some leaks as the Bears started talking terms with their chosen candidates).
  12. QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 09:59 PM) If Kirk could just get a season ending injury that would be great. Stupid post. We have one of the elite coaches in the league who raves about him. Have you guys seen what Josh Smith has done, guys like Rudy Gay, etc. There are things that don't show up in the box score. This Kirk hate is just absurd. Yeah, he could do some things better but clearly he's valued amongst the league. Listen to any former coach talk about Hinrich, the knowledgeable analysts, etc, and you hear nothing but big time praise for a lot of the things he does and the value he brings to a team.
  13. QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:08 AM) Good lord... To be honest, I don't really care. I want that to be the GM's decision anyway. Yeah, we should get some feedback from Ernie but I want our GM in full control and I want our GM in place for any of the main moves.
  14. Awful game but its just one game. We still are playing way too sloppy, imo. That said, still a lot of time to clean a lot of that up and get stronger. Hopefully the Bulls learn from this. And Rose really needs to get out of this funk and start playing more aggressive. Stop f***ing settling for all these damn jumpers. They'll pull through and Rose will get better. I wonder if Rose is going through some dead legs or something like that as well (which is impact his shot).
  15. QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 03:02 PM) A lot of good knowledgeable baseball people, including on this board, believe he ranks just below Ricky Henderson. He deserves to be in the HOF I think what really hurts him is that he was rarely the best player on his team (those Expos teams were loaded) and he never really lead the league in any major category. For whatever reason, he was often overshadowed. He is statistically the 6th best left fielder to play the game. That alone says...sure fire HOF'er.
  16. Peyton Manning threw 22 TD's & 10 picks in his first two seasons in college. Winston threw 65 and 28 picks. Peyton actually threw more picks his 3rd and 4th season (23) than during his 1st two seasons. Peyton's numbers were over the course of 22 games while Winston's were over course of 27 games.
  17. He will get a significant push these next two years, the question is can he get that much of a push. IF there were a good two years for Raines to be in his final two years, it would be the next two years where only Griffey is a sure fire first ballot HOF'er. Vladdy is a sure fire HOF'er as well but don't know that he is first ballot. Manny should be, but those positive tests and other issues are going to keep him out for a while (if not forever).
  18. QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 12:45 PM) Jennings on the field got old real fast this year he can go. I think a lot was his attitude and the fact that he didn't want to be there. Safeties took a lot of hit for his continous screw-ups. If you noticed, by and large all of those wide open big plays, which were driven by miscommunications came on Jennings side of the field. He really blew and that type of attitude is what the Bears need to get rid of. Like I said, I thank him for his run, but unless the cap hit was significant, I'd let him go somewhere else (that said, I do understand the fact that we are extremely thin at CB; although I did like the play of Al Louis or whatever the undrafted CB's name was).
  19. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:59 AM) Tim Jennings arrested in Georgia for speeding, DUI, and reckless driving. so there is that His play stunk on the field and now this off the field issue. I personally would have no problem getting rid of him, however, I don't know how much dead money that turns into. Emery really made a mess of things last off-season.
  20. QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:49 AM) I think he could be a top 10 NFL QB, I doubt he will ever be a top 5 and most likely will be a mid range QB. Is that worth a top 10 pick? In my opinion not really, given how often QBs get injured etc, I would always rather trade down and get more talent when rebuilding. But that is just my personal preference. I think Winston is a pipe dream anyway. No way he is there @ 7 and I can't justify moving up to get him. I think the best scenario is a team has a guy they want at 7 and we can move down and take Hundley and accumulate another high pick. Ideally we could also move Jay for a draft pick as well (I still think there will be more market for him than has been talked about). I think my dream scenario would be moving down, acquiring a 2nd for Cutler, and getting a 3rd - 4th for Marshall. I than have zero problem going with Hundley (or another QB) and bringing in a veteran QB who can help groom Nick. That said, I'm probably higher on Nick than most. It does mean that you need to have extremely bright offensive coaches to go with Nick though.
  21. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:32 AM) Absolutely. No other position can change so much of your team so fast than a good QB. Put Cutler on the Packers and to be frank, I don't even think they are a playoff team. I think they are about 1-2 games better than this years Bears, if that. All that said, their are very few elite QB's.
  22. QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:29 AM) Not with decision making. And nowadays I think we can all agree that may be the most important trait to have. Jameis made a ton of questionable throws. Albeit many college QB's do make a lot of mistakes but to compare him to Luck is nuts. He isnt even in the parking lot of Lucks ballpark. Luck actually makes a lot of questionable throws. Luck is the best talent to come out of the draft since Peyton (and Luck having better physical tools and Peyton having better intelligence...albeit by a very narrow margin). I said Jameis is best since Luck. Doesn't mean I put him at the same level as Luck but if it weren't for his off the field issues, you would be talking about a guy everyone would be salivating over. He has made tons of big time throws and came up huge in big game after big game. Will he make the occasional turnover, certainly, but he's playing in a pro-style offense. You are going to turn the ball over running that style far more than you would in a spread offense. Mariotta really doesn't have the opportunity to throw a ton of picks given their style of offense. Heck to be frank, Cutler should have never had the opportunity to throw as many as he did given the style we were trying to run in Chicago.
  23. QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:28 AM) As long as Cutler is on the team you cant spend a top 10 pick on Winston. Might as well take a flier in the later rounds on a guy like Jacoby Brissett. Sure you can. The goal is to build a long-term winner. If you have a shot at a guy you think is the franchise QB, you take him, no questions asked. We know we don't have a franchise QB on the roster currently.
  24. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:24 AM) Its been said his knowledge of the playbook was pro-like but it could also be Jimbo's bulls*** like everything else we hear about Winston. Yeah, I'm largely basing my view on the fact that not only does he have the tools, but he's supposed to have a very high football IQ. He's also done things on the biggest stage, dealt with adversity (albeit self inflicted in many instances), handled a pro offense (which makes it a lot easier to project him, imo) etc, and overcame it. Tools are obviously fantastic. Dilfer apparently spent a day with him last year and ever since than has talked about how smart his football IQ is.
  25. @Edwerderespn: Despite success with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, I'm told #Bears do not have Mike Shanahan on list of HC prospects

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.