Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 02:42 PM) Every year the Sox find new and creative ways to abuse the minor league DL's. I mean, Cales was on BHAM's DL, then off to pitch a couple games, then on again, then off to go to AAA, then pitched, then on again to make room for Beck. They're just outright trolling at this point, daring some other team to file a grievance. Fortunately, no team is going to do that, unless the DL is messing with a Rule V or 40 man situation or something that impacts another team. No one cares about David Cales. No point. You could just send them to instructional or wherever you wanted and it probably wouldn't matter and still clear up a spot.
  2. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 12:05 PM) That's where the "If the Sox think they live up to their top 20 ranking" part comes in.....If they are fairly confident that Pederson or Seagaer is the LH bat to pair with Abreu for the future then I'd make that move. Still a risk even if they are "confident" but nevertheless, with their contractual obligations, and the incredibly team friendly deals given to Sale/Q, I believe it could be a risk worth taking. I'm sure I'm wrong somehow, but looking at the payroll for next year, even adding Kemps 21M puts the sox at 64M. Nate Jones is really the only guy they have to pick in arbitration. They could realistically add a SP, a catcher, and some bullpen pieces and still be around a realistic 95M. But again it's moot if they don't give up Pederson/Seager. Pretty sure they are going to have to give a prospect and eat a good chunk of the contract, which is where things might get interesting. I just don't know that the Dodgers will make that type of decision (to eat money and give up a prospect like that...vs. just eating more money) given that they don't really have any major payroll restrictions (or don't appear to).
  3. QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 12:03 PM) Seems like there are two options for the Sox with Beckham: A - Give him away for virtually nothing (like the trades that send Thome to LA and Contreras to COL) so the team isn't on the hook for the remainder of his 2014 salary. B - Ride out the season and non-tender him. C - Profit. I don't know what C means but I'm all for A.
  4. QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:26 AM) Danks is, this year, a #4 starter. But people seem to be forgetting that he was really more of a #3 before the injury, and this is his recovery year. No one should have expected he'd be 100% his usual self this season. He's still building up strength. So really what you are trading is a guy who is a #4 now, but very likely could be a #3 in the remaining two years of his contract. And at that level, his salary is more or less in line with value. Keeping that in mind, if the Sox are willing to trade him and maybe send some money (say $5M a year for each remaining, so $10M total), then you are giving another team significant differential value. Will that get you an elite prospect? No, but it could very likely give you a couple or three prospects who might turn into something. The team who gets Danks gets a cost-controlled starter for 2.5 seasons who, if healthy next year gives you mid-rotation quality. There's value there, but the Sox are probably considering whether it is better to wait and trade him this offseason or even next year at the deadline, when he's likely to be performing better. Technically, wasn't last year his recovery year. This is his 2nd full season after the injury. I don't know that I would say that he's likely to be performing better. Hard to say that. Guys coming back from shoulder injuries tend to struggle. What Danks has done has been an accomplishment in and of itself.
  5. QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:33 AM) What everyone else said. I think this is a precursor to his potential trade. Doesnt necessarily mean Beck will see time at the major league level this season, but I think he ultimately slots in if someone else gets moved to the major league level and he finishes the season there. They aren't going to move Beck into the rotation just because we trade someone else. This is just more about Beck's continued development. Putting him to the majors right now would be extremely short sited and probably very detrimental to his develop.
  6. QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 07:23 AM) Any publication that has Rodon and Adolfo arriving in the same year shouldn't be taken seriously. And since it's an MLB piece, it shouldn't be taken seriously to be begin with. Yeah, that is extremely poor. The list is really poor in general, imo.
  7. QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 07:57 PM) Andrew Mitchell and Braulio Ortiz are immediately over him, two guys who have way less of a chance of contributing at the MLB level. It's not completely positional either, they have Keon Barnum at 15. No way Barnum is a better prospect than Ravelo. Dykstra and Saladino unlucky to miss out too I would have thought. Kevan Smith arguably low at 20. Mitchell has a big time arm and I wouldn't write off his ability to pitch at the big league level.
  8. QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:48 PM) I'm not against trading Danks, but for me the price needs to be hefty. They have shed enough salary that they don't have an urgent need to dump his, and he can be a #4 starter on a contending team in 15-16. Need at least a Top 50-75 prospect for him. Look at his WHIP and ERA. Nothing about that is getting you some elite prospect.
  9. I pencil Eaton in as a big part of our core players going forward. Just hope he can stay healthy.
  10. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:18 PM) No he is not. He used to be. He is now a below average defender after getting worse at 2b each season of his career. Both by the eye test and the statistics test. Only thing he does above average is turn the double play and that is primarily driven by his above average arm at 2B. It is why I firmly believe no one would even put a waiver claim in on him.
  11. QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:03 PM) Would have been a nice return for Beckham. As in anything would have been. Or Jared Mitchell. He was literally just bought. I don't even know if we could have got him for Beckham without sending cash, to be frank.
  12. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:45 PM) I think what people feel is that he's one of the biggest busts relative to what we thought we had. He was supposed to be the best 2nd baseman of the decade. Guy exploded onto the scene and you take away that year and he would have been out of the majors a couple years ago so that I totally understand.
  13. QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 11:58 AM) Those of us advanced stat haters laugh again. If there are advanced stats that say Beckham is anything but a C-minus grade type player then I say, cmon. All you do is have to watch the games and track season after season to know Beckham is lousy. I mean are we all in agreement Beckham is a C or D player? He's no A or B. I don't think there is much any stat out there to support Beckham being anything but C- or below. I think Wite was just saying to call him one of the biggest busts in White Sox history is pretty weak, given how the draft works and the fact that he was one of the most productive players taken in the 1st round of his draft. Bottom line, it is those reasons why I will always root for on the field performance because I really don't think accumulating top 5 picks does much to speed up a rebuilding process, not in baseball, where the reality is all picks are a crapshoot. Better odds in the top 5, sure, but not to the point it is worth losing a bunch of games (which is an indication that your current talent isn't getting better).
  14. On a sidenote, it sounds like it was Claussen, not Palmer who threw the picks.
  15. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:32 AM) He used to be so good, its amazing the drop off. but seriously, the guy turned 30 and it all went downhill. He experienced a pretty significant lower body injury and given his shape, probably had a pretty hefty impact on him.
  16. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:28 AM) I think the right way to say it is this...if his bat plays, they'll find room for him. I meant people think he could actually be a league average defender in a corner outfield position and that he is a decent athlete. Meaning, you don't need his bat to completely outplay his defensive abilities, which is what you'd need if he were to be an atrocious defender at any position other then 1B. I fully expect that they will change his positions in time, but right now, they are focused on his bat and his development there, which to your original point, if it plays, you find room regardless of defensive skills. However, for that to work, he'll likely need to show the power potential some think he has.
  17. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:30 AM) I think if you looked at just those two instances and laid them next to each other, yea it could be annoying when presented every fact. When you look at the league wide varying punishments for violence and drug use, you see a very strange inconsistency that is driving everyone crazy. I think they have consistently been lenient on first time offenders. It has been the repeat offenders they have been harsher with.
  18. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:21 AM) Same dude who said Melo was going to Chicago? I just can't buy into message board rumors I guess. Rumors are just that. Rumors. This person is supposedly legit but that doesn't mean 100% is going to be accurate. That is always the case. Look at what happens with proven posters. I mean, Rock, is not always going to be right. That doesn't mean he's full of crap or his source is wrong. If it was a complete done deal, it would be public, everything reported has uncertainties to it and might be misinformation released, etc. You never truly know. Now some people are just full of it. But you can usually spot those and pull them out. I find it laughable that people think some insider is going to be 100% accurate. Take it for what it is worth and it can give you potential hints into at least the thought process, etc. And in this case, I really don't see the Bulls working towards a 3 way trade, not if they want Love. However, if Minny finally moves that route, I could see them trying to get talent but if it were me, I'd be trying for Wiggins.
  19. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:15 AM) I'm sure people felt the same way about Josh McCown being the backup. McCown was a long term player in the league. And yes, I had similar feelings but despite my feelings of Josh, at least he had a history of playing in the league, etc, and being a legit back-up. My fears were that he was too old, etc. Palmer has never been a legit back-up and now all of a sudden he is. Totally laughable and this "QB" whisperer stuff is overrated. You can't just take total hasbeens and make them good. McCown was smart and efficient and at one time a guy some people thought had some legit upside, early in his career.
  20. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:07 AM) I'd probably try to swing Thompson in another deal should it go down(which I'm doubting, kinda think Steve is just "trolling" for reactions). Really wanna see Niko get a good chunk of minutes this year. Steve is posting a rumor from a Real GM poster.
  21. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:57 AM) Actually I wouldn't mind that. Losing out on Love would suck, and helping facilitate the trade to move him to Cleveland would suck too. In the end though they significantly upgrade the SG position, both starting and backup. That allows Jimmy to move to SF to replace MJD. With the addition of Pau and Niko, losing Taj wouldn't hurt that bad, and TT isn't a bad player. Yep; Our wings are much better, offensively, not sure how they are defensively. I don't know if Tristan can play defense. That is a big wild card for me because if we are going to give Cleveland Love, we better make sure we got a slew of guys we can put on him and also make sure we can take advantage of his defensive issues.
  22. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:57 AM) Actually I wouldn't mind that. Losing out on Love would suck, and helping facilitate the trade to move him to Cleveland would suck too. In the end though they significantly upgrade the SG position, both starting and backup. That allows Jimmy to move to SF to replace MJD. With the addition of Pau and Niko, losing Taj wouldn't hurt that bad, and TT isn't a bad player. One major issue I have, is if we are going to help Cleveland get Love, we better be certain we are getting extra value for our players, not just standard value, imo. There is a huge risk is helping Cleveland get Love. I still think if Minny does want to contend, Bulls have the best package out there.
  23. Also had another great start. Happy the change of scenario between AZ and NY is helping him.
  24. QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:50 AM) I take it he wasn't too good at 3B since it looks like they switched him from 3B to 1B in 2012, but does anyone have any insight on his defense? It doesn't look like he's ever played OF, but could he be a possible LF someday? Some think he could potentially be playable in the outfield.
  25. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:29 AM) Palmer is earning that #2 job It will be a disaster if he is our #2. I can buy Claussen as the 2 as he never got a shot with any talent around him but Palmer, LOL.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.