Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 10:27 AM) I think he means in the 10-day window in which he is designated for assignment, reaching a deal with the Marlins to acquire him instead of risking that he make it to the Sox via waivers. Thats what I meant, didn't think about the waivers part and this being post 7/31.
  2. Couldn't we technically work out a trade for him? I'd be all for that.
  3. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:09 AM) Yet he has no history of playing like that in a game. Hmmmm. All I know is he's had multiple incidents this camp and Trestman, who is a pretty composed guy, has thought it was important to send the message. It is also just a bad example to everyone else. You see one guy get away with it and then maybe you lose your temper and go, its okay. It can be a very contagious issue. I think Trestman has handled it and hopefully Bennett responds well. By the way, I really like Martellus.
  4. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:41 AM) I dont think he retaliates in a game situation, since its an actual game and not practice. A vet knows the difference, a rookie may not. Trestman is definitely one of the more professional type coaches that doesnt like the extra s***, there are some coaches in the NFL that would encourage it. When you practice like that, you play like that.
  5. No trade doesn't matter in a straight waiver claim, if it turns into a trade, then it matters.
  6. I happen to think that Rondon will be a top 5 prospect in our system in a year. His defense is that special.
  7. QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:49 AM) I wanna go back in time one month and share this statement with that version of Soxtalk. I am not saying he's going to do that. I just said if he did that, that is what you'd be talking about. I'm enjoying this ride but its Tyler Flowers, if we had a good option, I'd be asking for him to be playing now, but we can't just throw Nieto to the wolves totally and might as well ride this version of Flowers while its rolling and who knows, maybe something finally clicked.
  8. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:53 AM) Projection is a FO's job. People on this board project both an increase in production and a decrease. One thing that doesn't make sense to me is if a relief pitcher's performance greatly varies from year to year, why would anyone use the previous season as the indicator for how they will perform in the current season? Regression and breakouts happen all the time. The Sox have a couple of breakouts in Petricka and Putnam. Next year, those guys both could be regressions. That is why you use scouting. I also think the comment on relievers performance fluctuating is exagerated. I think mediocre relievers performance can fluctuate but the good relievers with quality stuff tend to perform year in year out. Could some years be better then others, certainly, and given the smaller statistical sample sizes for relievers, that can type of variability can happen, but I think the relievers are relievers is a little old. I think that is more you can have a few guys in the back end of the pen that all of a sudden come out and have a great year, etc.
  9. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:28 AM) If FIP is an indicator of future success, it appears it needs a bit of fine tuning. FIP is one of the most overused and overrelied upon new stats out there. There are inherent flaws in the calculation and favoritism towards certain statistics.
  10. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:23 AM) So you think training camp fights correlate to penalties in the regular season? That would mean the Lions have more training camp incidents that anyone in the league right? Or they just have 2 extremely dirty players. I think being undisciplined in camp leads to issues in the game. It is why you practice. You lose tempers in practice why wouldn't you in the game and when you do, you get flagged 15 yards for a personal foul. Thankfully Trestman has sent a hard message so clearly he was pretty fed up with this too (in fact he was pissed about it two fights ago and made a huge deal about it).
  11. QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:12 AM) At this point, its a possibility since he apparently had surgery this morning. That would be extremely strange if that were the case. I presume somewhere between 6-10 weeks. Although I do presume time to recover from surgery is slightly longer which maybe puts him at 12-14 weeks which might just mean you can't hold the roster spot and sit him for the season.
  12. I would gladly claim Utley, but Utley is going to get claimed and Phils won't let him walk for nothing.
  13. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:59 AM) I did "look" at the video and it was nothing out of the ordinary, if anything Fuller made a dangerous play and needed to be sent a message. Yet Bennett is the one suspended. Why, because he's already had a few of these incidents. You practice undisciplined and you play undisciplined. Look how that worked for the Lions. Teams that are undisciplined are penalized and tend to lose a lot of games.
  14. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:19 AM) You think they'll get claimed? I would be shocked if all of them were claimed. And if they were, I would expect you'd see some of those guys go for nothing.
  15. QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 04:00 AM) if he ends up settling in at .250ish with moderate power (by moderate I mean number of HRs, not shear power...because the dude is strong) and decent defense, he'll be fine as the starting catcher. If he hits .250 with moderate power, with his ability to call a game and do a quality job behind the plate, we will be in great shape because we'll be talking about one of the 5 or 6 best catchers in the game. Tools are there but lets see if he can sustain and start hitting the ball more consistently hard for a long term period like he has since putting those glasses on!
  16. QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 11:48 PM) Okay now, let's not get carried away. He's not far removed from hitting .089/.141/.143 over 120 plate appearances. Sometimes I think you just watch simulated baseball. Sometimes, don't you think its nice to sit back and enjoy things. I'm sure there would have been some advanced stats that could have told you he wasn't going to hit .089 for the rest of the season which meant there was a hot streak in there somewhere to bring him up to 188 or some crap.
  17. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 06:42 AM) Easy mom, there is a video of the incident if you want to watch it. You can even see them make up and Cutler come over to speak with Fuller. Look. Bennett has taken down a few guys and there have been quite a few more incidents. I follow training camp and have for a long time and also follow all the other camps. I know 1 or 2 incidents tend to happen but there have been more then that with the Bears. Why do you think Tresty cut practice short by almost half an hour. He was sending a message saying cut it out.
  18. If you are factoring in contracts, you go with Sale. If you factor in best player, its Sale. However, if you are concerned about his long term ability to stay healthy, you might lean Abreu. Ace pitchers help you win a series though.
  19. We seem to have some problems in camp. Morning practice was cut short 25 minutes because Bennett decided to body slam Fuller. There have been a lot more fights reported in this years camp then I can pretty much ever remember and while I'm all for a little chippiness, this is just sloppy and undisciplined and needs to stop. It needed to stop 3 fights ago and most definitely need to stop now. Reports are that Fuller just tried to strip the ball and Bennett went crazy on him. These incidents are increasing in severity too, which is bad, because the culture is that it is okay because others have done it and it is a slippery slope. Next thing you know, we turn into the flipping Lions. Tresty certainly isn't condoning it but the leaders of this lockeroom and coaching staff need to end this stuff NOW!
  20. That is downright hillarious.
  21. QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 11:47 AM) Same thing Rodgers had. He was out 2 months. Tough break, but he'll be back. Bears still have Josh Morgan, and I'm intrigued to see is Chris Williams will get some time at WR. Morgan has been pretty bad by all accounts.
  22. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 11:32 AM) Not really. A bad pen is something that tends to happen when your back two guys get hurt. The back 2 guys, well the back guy, was one of the worst in baseball anyway. We aren't talking about two of the top relievers in baseball. Nate Jones argument works, he was one of the better 7th / 8th inning guys in the game but Lindstrom wasn't even close to that and as a closer he isn't very good. Sure we had an injury but as a whole this was a bad pen. Lindstrom was our 5th best reliever a year ago and all of a sudden this year he was our so called "best". That alone should tell you how bad the pen was set up. Again, I wasn't going to get all that mad about it because I didn't expect to contend and figured we'd be able to use it to potentially find some cheaper guys and get our young pitchers some time to hopefully prove themselves so we had some cost-controlled options that were ready for when we were contending.
  23. How long is he going to be out? 8 weeks or so?
  24. Uh oh. Hopefully nothing major. He really looks like he has a shot at being a pretty good slot receiver.
  25. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:54 AM) Yes. I understand injuries can set you back, but it's Nate Jones and Matt Lindstrom. I will say, since he's been injured, Matt Lindstrom has become a lot better pitcher without even throwing a pitch than he was when he went down. He was one of our last relievers a year ago and become one of our top 2 guys and it wasn't like a year agos performance indicated he was deserving of that. No, he wasn't bad, but he certainly isn't real good either. It was a bad pen from day 1 (which, I think you are in agreement with DA, at least based upon the post above).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.