Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:43 AM) I would expect the Sox to explore this ASAP. My presumption is a contender comes to him as well and maybe he considers that, otherwise would be surprised if the Sox / him didn't see a nice fit. He could be a good mentor for Nieto too, imo.
-
Cardinals sign AJ Pierzynski
QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:43 AM) He don't have a whole lot left in the tank, but it's certainly more than Flowers has. Exactly.
-
2014 MLB catch-all thread
QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:37 AM) AJ Pierzynski DFA. Let it begin... And for good reason. There is absolutely zero reason we shouldn't at least make an offer to him. I think he'll find his way to a contender as a back-up, but still, no reason not to at least reach out to him. It isn't like Flowers is some guy of the future. I'd rather have AJ around working with Nieto then Flowers.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:30 AM) Well, couldn't he announce Bulls just like LeBron did with the Heat? Dan Gilbert swore up and down he'd never let LeBron get his money by participating in a sign-and-trade. LeBron announced Miami, then Cleveland did the deal (because you gotta get something). If Carmelo wants to be signed-and-traded to the Bulls, then he'd just announce he's chosen the Bulls. Then the deal gets made. Of COURSE the Knicks would take Boozer to get a couple of 1sts and Mirotic. It'd make no sense not to. So, if he really wanted to come to Chicago, which I'm growing increasingly doubtful, he could just so easily announce it and still know he's getting paid. Could, but I think he does want to get paid where as Lebron truly didn't care. He was going no matter what and I don't know that Melo necessarily is 100% that way, that is why he'll play more of the leverage. Either way, I think Chicago is where he's headed, as long as Bron Bron really is going back home to Cleveland. If not, we are toast, but we are a Lance Stephenson signing (+ Nik) or other potential moves from being right there with the Heat as the best team in the East. Either way...moot point...Melo is coming. And I just got an offer for free lunch at work from some old consultants...even sweeter. When I get back maybe there is some news! Thank goodness I've been on a lot of conference calls the past few days.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:27 AM) Pretty valid point. W/Lebron on board, they'd have done better then Riley has done. Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft 58s For the naysayers if LeBron was coming back to Miami he would be recruiting free agents instead of staying silent. #ignoranceisbliss Also to a similar point; If Bulls had received any sort of indication from Melo they were out, we'd have heard them moving on to a few different more significantly priced plan B's. Instead all we have heard is Pau and then the fact that they at least made interest with some lower priced guys (who wouldn't really be impacted regardless of their plan). Reality is Bulls feel they have a chance too and the lack of any other scenario's points that out. And before someone goes well Pau is that guy, yes he might still be that guy, but he's also of interest to Melo, potentially. If we do a S&T we will have the BAE and MLE and that MLE can be used on Nik or Pau. If Melo wants someone more experienced, we use it on Pau (plus it then frees Nik up if Phil really does need a better asset to sweeten the deal). Everything we have done thus far has been with one thing in mind...sweet sweet Carmelo and it will happen my friends...it will happen!!!
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Pretty valid point. W/Lebron on board, they'd have done better then Riley has done. Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft 58s For the naysayers if LeBron was coming back to Miami he would be recruiting free agents instead of staying silent. #ignoranceisbliss
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:22 AM) I think that'd be great. I, too, like LeBron, and I'd honestly be happy for Cleveland. It'd be rather unbelievable, though. Also, I'm increasingly nervous for what I care about - Melo to Chicago. Jason, please do another of your "I think the Bulls get Melo" posts with some reasoning so I can enjoy it. Seriously. Just for you Steve. Melo to Chicago; With Lebron in Cleveland, Melo has no reason to stay put. Not enough talent available in FA next year for Phil to build an immediate winner, therefor, Melo tells Knicks today he will not return. Does not announce Bulls, rather says he's interested in both, to apply pressure to Knicks to work out S&T so they can receive something and Melo ultimately can get something very near a 4 year max from Chicago all while the Bulls return top talent and Knicks get at least some assets (and lots of payroll flexibility) for assisting Bulls.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:19 AM) Ha seriously. Wish I was as optimistic as Mr. Gage. And yes, LeBron going to Cleveland is scarier than him staying in Miami. But you got to love it. I have zero problem with Lebron going home to Cleveland. None. I've also came to really like Lebron again.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:13 AM) Yea what would really suck the most, obviously, is Lebron to Cleveland and melo not with with the bulls. I think Lebron to Cleveland, Melo to Chicago, Bosh to Houston, Wade...who knows.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:12 AM) If he does, I guarantee he will say it wasn't about the money but all about Phil Jackson's vision and championship rings. And if that were totally true, there would have been no reason for the dog and pony show in which he took part. Without really going out and meeting other teams, he couldn't know that for certain. Can't blame him for looking, however, I think the time he's taken to make the decision tells you he is at least considering other options, otherwise he would have quickly decided, imo.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:11 AM) Melo goes back to NY. Big 3 go back to Miami. LOL AT MEDIA I'm ok with big 3 going back to Miami. They are very beatable with an aging Wade. None of the moves they have done are that scarcy. Lebron in Cleveland will actually be scarier, if they can make the right moves. Maybe not this year, but long term.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:03 AM) Where's the sas stuff coming from? Who knows...supposedly he said this on a NY radio report. However, supposedly he also said he will be announcing his return to the Knicks.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO 1m Interesting and (maybe) totally unrelated aside, LeBron James' wife and kids are returning to their Akron home today, a source says.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:02 AM) So why the hell does Melo even care what LeBron does? Theory is Melo wants to play with Lebron in NY, that could happen if he signs a 2 year deal with opt out in a year to stay in Miami. No one thinks he's signing with Miami long term. That is why a lot of people are starting to speculate Melo is waiting on that to decide whether he stays in New York or bounces for another option. I happen to think that other option is a place like Chicago where he can win and the Bulls / Knicks will start working on a S&T. I literally think Melo wants to stay in NY badly but only if he thinks he has a legit shot at winning. That gets a lot less likely if Lebron is off the list (plus Aldridge is gone too) and we might find Love off the list of available FA next year as well.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO 24s LeBron expected to announce free-agent choice on http://lebronjames.com . I'd start refreshing at time of his meeting w Heat (6 pm EST).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft 11s Around 6:00 p.m. (EST) start checking http://lebronjames.com as the news of the LeBron's choice should be announced.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
SAS now reporting that Melo to make decision in a few hours. Chris Sheridan also reporting that Lebron, his agent Rich Paul, and Riley will be only people attending the meeting. If so, I think much more likely LBJ has already decided and he might have told Melo and hence why Melo is getting ready to announce his decision as well.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft 10s The meeting with the Heat is now going to consist of Pat Riley, LeBron James, and Rich Paul, per a source. Probasketballdraft @Probballdraft 3s It appears that LeBron & Rich Paul made the request to save the Heat from making a pitch, last-ditch plea.
-
When Does Flowers Get Replaced As Everyday Catcher?
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:38 AM) You're still blaming Walker? Last year, the offense was horrible under Manto who supposedly was a godsend compared to Walker. Then Steverson shows up and he is the new guru. How much better are the Sox offensive if you take away the additions of Abreu and Eaton? This is Tyler's 3 major league hitting instructor, and there is no improvement. I think there is a lot of evidence to show Greg Walker more than likely wasn't the reason the White Sox couldn't hit when he was coaching and is even less likely those same players aren't hitting now. Preach on. It was never Walker. Might it have been time for a new voice, sure, but Walker was not this terrible hitting coach some people like to say. Reality is we've had some really bad offensive players in our lineup for a while.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:32 AM) If Melo is really waiting on LBJ, which I'm a little doubtful about but the timing seems to be syncing, the most plausible explanation IMO is that Melo is going to a non-NY team if LBJ goes to CLE, NY if MIA on short deal, non-NY team if MIA on long deal. I can imagine the Knicks selling him on LBJ's availability once they get cap room Fully agree.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
SAS just said he heard from Melo's people that the decision will be tomorrow AM by the latest. I think all the domino's fall very quickly after Lebron's meeting. My presumption is Lebron either tells Heat he is staying at end of meeting or tells them they are no longer an option and that he is taking his talents to Cleveland. Note: I fully think no later then tomorrow, all of this stuff is settled (well relatively speaking).
-
2014 FIFA World Cup
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:53 AM) Depends what your expectations are. As I've said countless times, I don't expect Illinois to regularly compete for B10 titles right now. So, improving incrementally when you are at rock bottom is great. If they go 3-9, you think I'll be jacked up? I think the USMNT and soccer fans have higher expectations than just showing improvement or trying hard, having close losses and "never giving up" etc. Maybe I'm wrong. So you say USMNT soccer fans. Are you basically indicating you aren't a fan and thus are just in here trying to stir the pot? I think USMNT fans are looking for continuous incremental improvements during each 4 year cycle and understand the way this process works and that it is a long-term plan. This is not something that happens overnight. I think the first step was moving away from Bob Bradley ~4 years ago and I think Jurgen will continue to change and push the needle in the right direction and then in another 4 years someone else will likely take that torch (although I suppose he could stick around for 3 cycles...although that is extremely rare, the US is looking to change an overhaul culture that takes such an extended period of time).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:51 AM) Not sure if this is sarcasm but this has been pretty thoroughly debunked. In the mainstream media a lot of people still buy it. Similar to the talk of Bulls only offering $74M. Both have been debunked by local media reporters, however, mainstream keeps going on about it. This kind of reminds me of Jose Abreu...no one gave the Sox a chance until bam...we signed him. Seems like no one thinks Bulls because of all of these "perceptions" vs. any actual inside information.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:49 AM) But I thought Rose didnt even talk to him or see him, right? Broussard has been laughable when it comes to his sources regarding Carmelo/Chicago. Bulls have been extremely tight lipped as have Anthony so any stuff coming out regarding Bulls is probably junk right now. And if Bulls were truly out, we'd have seen them start moving on towards a plan B. And Gasol might be one of the Plan B's, however, I think he is also potentially one of the scenarios tied to plan A (depending on what Melo wants and what Phil wants in S&T).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:44 AM) Sure, but if you're trading your franchise guy you either want an established talent back that you can market (Klay Thompson, Rondo) or picks to rebuild. Again, the point being Boston has better assets than the Bulls at this point, and Ainge isn't bringing in Love either. Rondo doesn't do Minny that much good and I don't know how much value he has on the open trade market (I think he's a great player but it seems like its hit or miss what teams feel about him, especially in this era where there are a lot of good point guards). Golden States offer centered around Klay and Lee is significantly better if the Wolves don't want to rebuild.