Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:09 PM) There's your first post that brought Mitchell up, did you type Mitchell by accident? I didn't remember him being talked about as a pitcher but If igured you knew something I didn't. My fault. whoops. Was talking about Hawkins (and his 90 MPH FB & good slider). Note: In no way am I saying the Sox should even entertain having him pitch.They should have him focus on purely working on his offensive game for his 1st time in his career (since he currently works on both). I love the fact that Hawkins is a high character guy (supposedly) as well too. I think it puts him in a better position to put in the work necessary to make the needed improvements to his game.
  2. My bad, I caused the confusion. Mitchell in my sentence should have said Hawkins.
  3. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:05 PM) Your post brought it up? You asked me how hard Mitchell threw. I was talking about Hawkins (unless I accidentally typed Mitchell)?
  4. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:58 PM) Don't forget Nathan Jones. He might end up being the best of all those relievers when all is said and done. How can I forget him. I think I discovered him on Soxtalk. Was watching him on the backfields 3 or 4 years ago and was blown away. Talked to a scout and they said when he's on, he has the better stuff then any closer in baseball. The problem was, he couldn't repeat his deliver, and had huge fluctuations in stuff (98 one day with a sharp hook; 89 another day with a hanger). He still has had a lot of problems with his command so I'm curious to see how he holds up long term, but the dude has an arm.
  5. I'm not talking about him having serious pitching potential. He is a legitimate pitching prospect though and saying otherwise is ignorant. That said, no one is looking at him pitching. The dude will be hitting. The Sox aren't going to have another Wes Whisler situation (who was a terrible pick irregardless). Hawkins has a bat that projects with a plus arm. THe fact that he would have been drafted as a pitcher is meaningless. Mark Trumbo could pitch too, Angels are pretty happy they used his bat though. Trumbo was projected by a lot of teams as being a better pitcher. Don't let the fact the was an 18th round pick fool you, he got 1st round money and dropped because everyone thought he was headed to USC.
  6. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:01 PM) Never even knew Mitchell had anything resembling a "plus" arm. Always considered that one of his biggest weaknesses, particularly in CF. It is. Thats why I have no idea why Balta is taiking about Mitchell's arm.
  7. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:56 PM) If Hawkins can go from touching 90 to touching 95+, then we can talk about him having serious pitching potential. What did Mitchell throw? Jared? Not 90. Not many prep pitchers throw 95+ regularly and if they do, they are getting drafted in the top 20.
  8. QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:55 PM) I'd still like BPA at 48. We will see. Agree.
  9. QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:53 PM) Too bad sox aren't expanding their options. Would love to see throw a curveball and take Roache, but pitching is a dire need in our system. I'll make one thing for clear, everything is in dire need in the system. However, with Beckham maybe figuring it out and Viciedo, Sale and Reed developing (along with De Aza looking good), all of a sudden things don't look near as barren (as the system has developed 4 of those guys; won't count De Aza).
  10. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:51 PM) Sergio Santos "Touches" 98. Technically he didn't in high school. Hawkins projected to be a pretty good pitcher but his bat is very strong. Thats the only reason you don't hear people talking about him as a pitcher. He would have went top 5 rounds though (which is pretty good in and of itself). Nice slide piece.
  11. QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:49 PM) Safe bet is college pitcher at 48. Pierce Johnson, Alex Wood, Brian Johnson Jake Barrett, Chris Beck, Brandon Kline, and Pat Light are some names to consider. Fully expect them to go with a pitcher, probably a guy that profiles to pitch out of the pen (seems to be the Sox MO as they figure they can get a power arm that doesn't project to the rotation but can be a plus reliever). Its a unique MO too. But in theory, they've done a good job identifying pitching (whether its via trade, the draft, or even free agency).
  12. There goes Stroman. Some comps to K-rod and Flash. I still think he can start though. Nice pick by the Jays.
  13. QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:19 PM) I prefer the pre-TV days of the draft. It takes too long and Mayo, the guy who knows the most about these prospects, can't get a word in edgewise from Reynolds and Hart. Hart may not be as on top of things as he was when he was GM, but he knows a lot more then any of the other guys about talent evaluation. Additionally, Callis is the guy that knows the most on the tv set. Mayo would be next. However, that puts him 3rd as far as I'm concerned.
  14. Love what the Nationals have been doing.
  15. QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:45 PM) Yikes.. He was the one who advocated KW of trading for Danks (like) but also recommended Broadway, McCulloch and Bopone Logan. (dislike) He is our Texas amateur scout FYI. Logan wasn't a high pick was he? So the fact that he made it was really good. Not so good on Lance/McCulloch.
  16. I was cringing as he did that back flip. Like the fact that he'll have a plus outfield arm. Not sure if he can stay in CF, but I think Mitchell will be there, so hopefully that power continues to develop (obviously he's got good power now and it should only get better) and we see him in RF for a long time. The dude is strong.
  17. I love the comp (Matt Kemp).
  18. I really liked Stroman but I like the Hawkins pick as well. No complaints out of me and look forward to seeing what he can do over the next few years. Hopefully he can continue to develop and we'll have another upside guy to go with Mitchell (who I still think will be a very good player). Not sure what happens with Thompson/Walker but we will see. Either way, those are the only major developmental offensive players we've taken early that I can remember over the past few years and I find it ignorant to write the Sox off based upon there progresses (or lack of progress), especially given how one is in his 1st full minor league season (Walker), the other was a raw highschooler (Thompson) whom you never are going to hit at 100% on, and the 3rd was a guy who did great in the minors, looked great in minor league camp, and then had an awful injury (who is finally, this year, recovered from it).
  19. Only thing I don't like is the Sox historical inability to get these guys to develop. Maybe that is changing though with Mitchell starting to come around and I guess we still have more to see in what happens with Walker and Thompson. Would be unfair to write them off (or the organization) at this point based upon this and really these are the 3 guys most of us think about when it comes to raw upside guys the Sox picked (albeit only one was a high schooler).
  20. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:22 PM) No s***? Seriously...I can live with that.
  21. Sox will have there pick of some guys most of Soxtalk likes.
  22. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:12 PM) What the hell good does he do us in a vacuum? I don't know. I just know if the Sox draft Wacha, we have to hope our organization can help him with his breaking stuff. He has the fastball and change-up to succeed, but needs to really improve his breaking stuff and overall command if he's going to be worth a top 15 pick.
  23. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 04:42 PM) I don't know that I agree, but if that is true, than I would certainly prefer he stick with it as opposed to whatever he did last year! I believe he mentioned that last year he had changed his approach a bit and tried to do put things in play and that ultimately he ended up over thinking and being caught in between a whole lot.
  24. Heaney off the board. I don't really like Wacha, other then I can make comments like Wacha Wacha. Only bright side is his changeup is nasty and his fastball is solid with a good build. If he can develop the other pitches, I guess I can see why scouts like him, but for a college guy he's not very developed.
  25. Some teams are going to regret passing on this guy. His ceiling is that of a middle rotation starter and the upside is solid. Very strong mechanics, improving secondary stuff, strong velocity on his fastball. Great pick by the Pirates.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.