Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:15 AM) That shot by Harden was so irresponsible, at the bar it got a collective "WHAT ARE YOU DO... WOW!" It's going to be funny when some bottom feeder signs Harden to a ridiculous offer sheet to be their primary scorer and he turns into Ben Gordon. James Harden is a quality scorer in the NBA, but his newfound "celebrity", for lack of a better word with his increased role, 6th man award, and exposure, is clearly going to his head. He's taking far more bad shots, and I don't know why it's taking everyone so long to start thinking the guys a big piece of s***. I mean, if Dwyane Wade did half of what Harden does, with the stare downs, the stupid looks, the hand signals, he would be crucified on this board. Please don't compare Harden with Gordon. Harden is a very very efficient scorer. The guy is a very good player. Star, no, but he's significantly better then Ben Gordon. And he's came up big when the Thunder needed him.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Also fun that last year, the Sox have more picks and I think got a better pick in the comp round then what we took last year in our 1st pick (47th overall) in Walker. Not saying I don't like Walker, but there is just something fun about getting a couple guys with the ability to grow into potential middle of the order hitters.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:13 PM) What was the point they were making about compensation picks that do not sign? You lose the money? Do you know get an extra pick next year if your compensation pick does not sign? You lose the pick (comp picks do not get passed on to the next year; that, along with the concerns over going above slot given the new system, is the reason the only teams that will take these guys that fell in the comp round are teams with multiple picks as they can better afford to miss out, plus they have had more money allotted so they could pay overslot for one guy and then go under on 2 guys to even it out).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:11 PM) Seems like he was knocked because he is locked into 1B defensively. So? He's all about the bat and power. If you don't hit you're probably not going to make it to the big leagues anyways. Excellent points. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Sox try him in left field. Sounds like a few teams talked to him about it. You already know he can play solid defense at 1B, so why not try him elsewhere (unless of course a team just really doesn't believe he can do it). Worse case, you move him to 1st a few years from now. The key with him is his bat and that seems to grade out well (swing can get a little long, but you can't coach the bat speed and raw power potential he has).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
I'll say one thing, if you grade the picks based upon MLB's comps, then the Sox win out (Howard & Kemp). All that said, one thing stands out about both of these guys. They have mlb body types now and great bat speed. It is something that stood out about Viciedo as well. I like the fact that we are getting guys with some upside if they pan out. These two guys immediately become the best power prospects in the Sox system (Sox really didn't have any other then the raw Thompson, unless you look at a guy like Wilkins). And these two have better power potential then Trayce.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Rangers are a fantastic organization and just went with a guy way off the radar (from a comp round perspective). Just putting things in perspective.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:05 PM) SOS with KW and company cheap signable guy and drafting way above projection. Remember, the Sox have actually produced quite a bit of major league players through the draft (comparatively speaking). I don't like it but I also like the potential of the guy the Sox picked (other guys more, but thats not saying the Sox picked a crappy player). This isn't Kenny Jr the Sox picked here. Or even Wes Whisler (who was a garbage pick).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:04 PM) There goes Jose's kid Sox should have taken him just because, but then I saw he didn't have the stache and realized why he slid in the draft and didn't go #1 overall.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
When it is a comp pick too, I am even less surprised the Sox reached. They want to make sure they get a pick (vs. taking a tough sign who they could ultimately get nothing out of if he held out). Blue Jays take 2 guys I liked (STroman and Smoral). Maybe the Sox surprise me though and use the savings later in the 1st 10 rounds. Clearly this pick was a reach (from an overall rankings perspective) but at the end of the day, we'll know more a few years from now.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
I don't like taking a prep 1st baseman this early. Like his power potential though, just prefer other guys. That said, its the sox and I'm never surprised when they take the cheap route. I will also say, they've done a very good job in the draft the past years though and when you factor in the fact that they have been so cheap, it makes it better. Still, I take the lefty pitcher any day over a guy who has to really rake to stay at 1B. Good body though.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Please let it be Smoral. I know we don't usually go the prep route and he'll cost money, but come on.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:53 PM) If Smoral throws in the upper 90s, that changes everything. Pitching in the low to mid 90's in high school as a lefty is huge. I'm not saying Smoral is a guarantee can't miss talent, but he's a legit talent and would be one hell of a pick for the Sox at 48 (if somehow he was around) and if he is, I'd be stunned if the Sox passed up on him.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:49 PM) There aren't? I'm happy to be the guy's biggest fan if he becomes a White Sox, but at this point he seems to have nothing on Aaron Poreda other than age. I just want someone to tell me the part I'm missing, my research on the kid consists of about 45 minutes of reading/watching Aaron Poreda was a college lefty with a big sinking fastball. He threw in the upper 90's too and as a result was picked early in the draft. No comparison between Poreda and Smoral though. A lot of comps out there on CC or Johnson but that is more because of his size at this point. And you are greatly mistaken. There aren't many prep lefties that have this kids arm and potential (hence why he's a top 50 pick).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:46 PM) There are a lot of lefties that throw 90-94 with one offspeed pitch that are going to go in the later rounds. Not really. There are not a ton of prep lefties with 90-94 stuff and a good off speed pitch. Had he not missed the majority of the high school season with a foot injury, he probably wouldn't be on the board now.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:45 PM) HELLUVA PICK by the Rangers. Joey Gallo. Agreed. Tons of power, great upside there at 3B.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:43 PM) Does Smoral throw harder than the 90-94 reports I've heard? With his body, doesn't project to throw any harder unless there's a mechanical issue. What is wrong with a lefty who throws 90-94?
-
2012 MLB draft talk
If you can't sign a comp pick, you lose it, correct?
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:40 PM) That's what they may be hoping... Big, strong lefty. I'd love it.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:39 PM) Wonder if they would go with Piscotty? Stanford angle. Piscotty is a solid pick, however, don't think the Sox would take him or some better pitching prospects (which right now, it looks like such will be on the board).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
I don't think McCullers gets past St. Louis (or Boston or Texas). One of those teams will draft him.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
I'd be all for Smoral but no way does he fall to the Sox. This is going to go quick (which I like).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Would Lance McCullers fall? Given we went upside, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him now. Some questions of whether he can start but he has legit stuff and at worse projects as an above average closer. I assume he'll be long gone though. Someone with multiple picks will take a chance on him.
-
Locking up the young pieces
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:14 PM) Also good choices (year by year) with Joe Crede and Bobby Jenks. They've always been astute in their judgements with players on their own roster...except for how to handle Swisher, perhaps. And we really don't know how much of that was Ozzie and how much of it was "self-induced" to use a Hawkism. A lot had to do with Ozzie I think. There have been a few guys that have excelled everywhere else from a clubhouse perspective that were just awful with Ozzie and its no surprise that those guys happened to like attention and be a little louder (and Ozzie couldn't handle that). Ozzie really was a horrendous horrendous person to have lead a franchise. Giant egos do not make good managers.
-
White Sox draft Courtney Hawkins OF out of Carroll HS (TX)
QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:12 PM) Supposedly Buxton did Ya. Supposedly he can throw 98-99. He's a legit talent.
-
White Sox draft Courtney Hawkins OF out of Carroll HS (TX)
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:11 PM) Update: Jared Mitchell is NOT being converted to a relief pitcher for the White Sox stretch drive. Now back to previously scheduled programming, folks. Mitchell has made some serious strides this year. In my opinion, the #1 prospect in the White Sox system and a potential all star (yes I said it). He's doing some great things this year and has made some major strides (and by all accounts, including out of the horses mouth on a call I was on with him this past Friday, he's physically 100% and doing what he could do pre-injury). Last year he wasn't there. Still, Mitchell has flaws but he's made some major strides this year and from an age perspective, he's older, but from a baseball age perspective (e.g, from a development perspective) he's pretty young and to be doing what he's done, its incredible. Plus, if he pans out then when he's a FA he'll be 31 or 32 and headed elsewhere (so we wouldn't really get all that much advantage from his young age anyway). The important part is the tools and talent is there and the stats are starting to match the tools/potential.