Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Blue Jays @ White Sox
Nice...De Aza!
-
Blue Jays @ White Sox
somehow, only 1 run scored.
-
Blue Jays @ White Sox
Come on Phil, find the rhythm. You've been pitching well as of late (3 of last 4 with 2 earned or less). He's having all kinds of trouble right now.
-
Blue Jays @ White Sox
Humber is struggling with his command and leaving a lot of stuff up. Hopefully he can get this out and get straightened out.
-
Konerko HOF article
Personally, Paulie isn't a hall of famer. However, if he does what he's done the past 2 years for another year or two, he gets into that mix. Hit 500 and I think you've sealed it, especially given the fact that his production has continued (and gotten better) after testing.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Soxtalk draft tracker, fully updated.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:45 PM) Anyone catch the semi-loophole that teams are exploiting? Teams like the Jays are drafting a bunch of college seniors with no leverage and agreeing to way under slot pre-draft deals in say rounds 6 through 10. They then will select some of the high upside hard prep signs in rounds 11 and onward to use their savings towards. With picks past the 10th round an inability to sign your pick does not penalize you by reducing the team's allotment if an agreement is reached. Its smart and I'm not surprised teams are planning on doing it. I would assume most teams would have been smart enough to figure this out. The one big if is whether the teams can get those guys that fell to sign, since they aren't going to get very much money. However, if you land one or two of them, thats all it takes to make it worthwhile.
-
Paul Konerko All-Star Campaign
QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:44 PM) You're a real jerk you know that? Anyways, I'm strictly talking about position players. Loaiza, Buehrle, and Garland started if I'm not mistaken. Hey maybe Sale will add to that list... Its what I do. You going to any of the Dodgers/Sox games?
-
Blue Jays @ White Sox
Wrist does not sound good. Those type of injuries can linger and they can seriously impact your swing. Hopefully something minor.
-
Paul Konerko All-Star Campaign
QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:37 PM) Just did some quick research so there is a chance I could have messed this up, but here goes: The last White Sox position player to start the All-Star Game was Frank Thomas in 1995. Since then, every single team in the MLB has had at least one player start the All-Star Game, except the White Sox and Kansas City. Now, I just looked on baseball-reference.com, so this doesn't tell me (as far as I know) if said player in the starting line-up was voted in or was placed in the line-up after someone dropped out. I'm sure that happened plenty of times actually (for example Jason Bay started for the Pirates in 2006, and I don't recall him being voted in, but I could be wrong) Even with the "person voted in dropped out" scenerio, there has never been a White Sox player apparently in the second or third position on the depth chart to get a shot. How ridiculous is that?! Technically haven't the White Sox had someone start the all star game as a pitcher? I thought Loazia or someone did.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Sox take a draft eligible freshmen (RS) out of UCLA with the 12th round pick. As a senior in highschool he was the 85th ranked prospect in the country by perfect game. Highly touted as a junior as well. Pitched in the game cod league this past summer (got hit relatively hard). Good fastball (90-94) and has been clocked as hard as 96. Was a potential 2 way player (not sure if he ended up doing such at UCLA). Command has been an issue with him but he also has flashed a plus curve ball. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id...tent_id=8657105 Scouting video from when he was drafted by the Padres in 2010.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:26 AM) I have an organizational question to throw out there for the ones in the know. Have the White Sox done a lot of re-structuring with their scouting or philosophy or anything? I guess what I am really asking is...does it appear they are going after different kinds of players for a reason or just going after best available? Sox philosphy shifted a decent amount under Bell and Lauman.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:41 AM) Retherford didn't play because he was blocked by two good pro prospects. That's why he went undrafted. He proved to be more talented than that. Completely agree with you. However, Retherford didn't have quite the bat speed. Whose to say this kid doesn't turn into a Howie Kendrick type player. And to be frank, given the fact that all players would be flawed, it seems to me that the Sox went with a guy here with a high floor that they think has pretty good odds of making it to the big leagues vs. a guy who has tremendous upside but a ton of downside. Given it is now the 3rd round, everyone is going to have flaws and the ceiling/floor gaps will be all over the place. The dude has done nothing but rake though. Not sure how well he'll hit going forward, but this is a guy that I fully expect to hit and excel early in his career. The real push for him will be how he handles more advanced pitching (and better stuff). That said, he put up great numbers in a very very strong conference (PAC 10 was legit this year; Stanford, ASU, Oregon, UCLA were all excellent teams). It would appear the bat speed and physical abilities are there for him to hit more advanced pitching (which is a good sign).
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:34 AM) I hate to hate on picks, but man this reeks of CJ Retherford. Retherford was an undrafted free agent though. Big difference between the two. Retherford hit and hit and hit with the Sox (until he got the higher levels). The other question is, could he be Pedroia? I'm not saying he is, but this guy has above average bat speed. Dont' love the pick and he should be a relatively easy sign. Given that I'm not sure how much Beck will cost, I can live with this pick. Downside is a utility infielder, upside is a solid offensive 2nd baseman. Would have rather went other directions with this pick.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:43 AM) Love the Beck pick. One of my preseason favorite players. Was a top 10 guy before a down year. Fix him Sox. I like it more given our track record with pitchers. We have some very good coaches. Who knows if we can fix him, but hopefully the Sox can help him repeat his delivery and get him to be more consistently (consistently good that is). He's a guy, which isn't unique, whose stuff is great one day and not so great another day. Nate Jones had similar issues, however, those issues aren't near as severe as Beck's.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
Nice. Chris Beck. Hard thrower, some project him as a reliever, but the dude has a strong arm. College pitcher from Georgia Southern. He was a top 10 pick in the preseason BA rankings. He did not have a good season, however, the guy was tremendous in the cape cod league. Beck has the stuff to be a front of the rotation starter though. This is a really sweet pick. I'm giddy.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
White Sox are on the clock. Can you say pitching, pitching and more pitching right here.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:04 AM) I didn't post that with the hopes of the Bulls getting one of them - I just meant it'd be interesting for the league. And yeah, it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out - I expect the Heat to play better tonight, but they are truly lucky to not be down 1-3. On the flipside, I could make the case that had some bounces went the Heat's way, they could be up 3-1. Boston did lose the Rondo game but they almost blew two other games late as well. They have been the better team this series, but that doesn't say much, both teams have looked plenty bad. Lebron has been fantastic though.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:02 AM) I saw on Twitter that the Bulls are interested in Nash? That would be weird. And I have to admit, I liked Westbrook ALOT more as a player before these last two series. He is a heads down ballhog. Westbrook is incredibly talented and he gets his stats, but he is not good at running an offense and when you watch them in the playoffs it is really magnified. They would be better off with a guy like Rondo.
-
2012 MLB draft talk
One thing that stood out to me regarding Hawkins, sounds like the Sox had scouts at practically every game he played at. They definitely appeared to do there homework on Hawkins. That makes me very happy and i'm guessing that was the case with a lot of the guys they were looking at in the earliest rounds. Makes you wonder if the Sox saw something in Bynum other teams didn't. Seems like there are a mixed bag of answers but some scouts saw a guy with patience who hit scorcing liners, but in BP, crushed the ball. Depending on how you project him, that could be a guy that could project as a .300 plus hitter with big time power. If that is the case, fantastic. In fact, some reports have both of the bats the Sox taking as being guys who can hit for a high average. When you add in there overall power potential, it is those projections (which I'm assuming the Sox scouts saw) which are the reason we see these guys picked where they were. Plus Hawkins is a plus athlete.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:56 AM) Oh, well, yeah, there's no doubt about that (again assuming health). A healthy Bulls team could have made the NBA Finals this year with the corpse of Rip Hamilton. If they had James Harden they'd crush the entire league, and then I would immediately not believe that James Harden is a douche. They just need some semblance of a 2 guard and some semblance of health at some point. Totally off-topic, but what do the Heat do if they don't win the Championship this year? Many are speculating that one of the big 3 would move, most likely Bosh, but quite possibly Wade. That would be interesting. I would want Bosh. I would not want Wade. Heat still have a good shot though. They should be able to beat Boston and will be a different team by the time they play the Thunder. They are missing there 3rd best player and while Bosh isn't a superstar, he's still one of the best 4's in this league and makes them a completely better team.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:39 AM) These points are noted, for sure. Harden is clearly larger than Ben, but he's also going to get a larger contract. It was the first comparison that came to mind, and it doesn't disprove the fact that he will be paid to be a 1 and whatever team does it is going to be screwed. And he is also a douche, and he gets away with being a douche for reasons unknown. I guess simply because the Thunder are 2012's America's Team. At least people are finally realizing how awesome Serge Ibaka is! I'll go this far, if the Bulls were able to replace Boozer with Harden (not at the 4, obviously, but given their existing depth down low), they would be my favorite to win the championship next year (as long as Rose is at 85%). Harden would be a great fit on the Bulls and him and Deng could play together along with Rose.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:39 AM) These points are noted, for sure. Harden is clearly larger than Ben, but he's also going to get a larger contract. It was the first comparison that came to mind, and it doesn't disprove the fact that he will be paid to be a 1 and whatever team does it is going to be screwed. And he is also a douche, and he gets away with being a douche for reasons unknown. I guess simply because the Thunder are 2012's America's Team. At least people are finally realizing how awesome Serge Ibaka is! Gordon got a pretty fat contract in his own right so I'm not too sure how much more Harden gets (if any). And I don't care whether he gets paid like a #1 or not, the fact is, he's a good player and much better then Ben Gordon. I'm not evaluating his contract (nor am I signing him to a contract). Boozer is a solid player too (in his own right). Gets hated because of the fat deal he signed. Sure he signed it, but don't blame him for that, blame the Bulls for overpaying him. Boozer really has been the type of player we could expect (at least this past year) based upon his historical performance. Ibaka is very good and he'll only get better.
-
2011-2012 NBA Season Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:35 AM) Ben Gordon was just as good as James Harden in the 6th man role. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gordobe01.html Look at those stats. Gordon was draining 3s over 40% year after year. In his third year he had a PER of 18.2. It's actually not that far off, and I don't think Harden will be a quality first option which he's absolutely going to be paid as by a bottom feeder. And he's still a douche. None of which you countered with your post. I don't think he's a douche, but I also love the beard (and purely based on that could never hate on him) and I did say he isn't going to be a #1 on a championship team. He can start on a championship team though and I didn't feel that was ever the case with Gordon. Gordon had too many issues (undersized + poor defensively) which Harden doesn't have. So while both were pretty efficient scorers (Harden is still far more efficient though, can get points in the paint and outside and doesn't need as many shots to be effective) in their time, one is not a complete liability on the other side of the court.
-
6/4 Games
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:13 AM) Since KW Jr isn't getting out of the way (even if he should), there has to be a chain reaction starting from the top. Like... Danks2 gets promoted with Fukudome released/DL'd... Mitchell goes to AAA to take D2's spot... Early or Shoemaker moves up to AA to take Mitchell's spot... Haddow moves up to take Early/Shoemaker's spot. That sort of thing. This has actually been a pretty good year for some outfielders in the Sox system. Danks2 still K's a lot but is improving... Mitchell looking good... a bunch of marginal guys pounding the ball (Early, Haddow, Shoemaker)... just need Thompson and Walker to come around. No need to move Mitchell up this soon. He just rebounded from a slump and made some adjustments and is hitting the ball well again. Let him stay in Birmingham for another month or so then if you think he's ready, move him up. However, there is no problem with him staying in AA. It is a talented league and he's learning a lot this year (and growing a lot as a player).