Everything posted by FlaSoxxJim
-
Sun-Times: Williams looking to fill gaps
I have the same concerns as you. With each new announcement of big-name guys not getting offered arbitration on other teams and becoming FAs, the guys we're looking to move seem less and less desirable.
-
Fontaine Leaves Sox
Are you sure you're not British, tovarich? This side of the Pond, it's 'candidacy.'
-
New Seth MacFarlane Interview
"I'M CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!!!"
-
University of Indiana
Here's an outsider view, I have no personal experience as to the academic aspects A high school friend of mine went to IU and really liked it a lot. I visited him once during Little 500 weekend (the big bike race depicted in the film "breaking Away") and it was a lot of fun. I and maybe a dozen others fell through the loft-roof of barn when it gave way during a keg party, so that was fairly memorable. The campus was pleasant and the local music scene at the time was acceptable. Thet's all I can offer, I'm sure others will chime in.
-
Lets see
Otherwise KW's gonna be sleeping with the fishes.
-
White Sox sign Alfonseca?
A mod should kill this thread before it gives everyone a heart attack. #%$@*$ Flubbie Trolls....
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
I "learned" Russian (what I wrote is what I know, other than wodka brands ) from Colossus in 'X-Men' comics during my mis-spent youth. And the German I know came from Nightcrawler, I guess.
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
Not so fast on the grammatical correction, WayneGhost. Emigrating is the act of leaving the old - and immigrating is the concommitant act of entering the new, usually non-native, country. Unless good tovarich Brando (big surprise, btw) spent a year or so lost at sea or else hopped about between several countries before finding his way to the States, he in fact immigrated to America immediately after emigrating from Russia 5 years ago. Da?
-
what about moving c. lee to 1b
To me that is very exciting baseball, if a little nerve-wracking at times.
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
Not a goat or a chicken by any chance?
-
Rotoworld.com
That's not good news.
-
Bush to repeal steel tariffs
Trying to work something out so as to not lose the vote in PA and the other steel states. It'll be a tough thing to pull off.
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
Here it is, Bro. Music is Art. Art is Subjective. End of story. The technical/stylistic/melodic merits etc., of a piece of music can be debated, and those with a musical schooling can speak more knowlegeably in these matters than a casual listener. As far as the 'artistic value' of the song, that is entirely subjective. I have to remind myself of that every time I come back north and visit the Art Institut and see that %#*&$#! Marcel Duchamp shovel hanging from the gallery ceiling. The Dadaists did have a point though, and that is that if the artist says something is art, it's art. Even a %#*&$#! shovel hanging from a ceiling.
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
I've only heard the Pablo Picasso cover from the new album, never saw the commercial. I heard some of Heathen and liked it, but have not picked up anything since before Outside. Based on your feedback I might be missing out, I'll have to fix that.
-
Konerko Rumor in LA Times
"All I will say with regard to Paul Konerko is this: The guy has only had three bad months [PER YEAR!], probably since he was in Little League. RIP to the GIDP?? Could it be?
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
I also liked the Tin Machine releases, but the first one quite a bit more than TM II. As far as it being the best thing put out since Let's Dance, I'll only disagree on a technicality, since the Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture Soundtrack was released in 1983. Now THAT'S MY BOWIE. Compared to dreck like "Never Let Me Down" though, Tin Machine was brilliant. Have you heard the tracks Bowie wrote/co-wrote and performed on for Adrian Belew's 'Young Lions' album? It came out in 1990, and the Bowie-written "Pretty Pink Rose" (there was a video that got some airplay) and the Belew/Bowie piece "Gunman" are both very much in the Tim Machine mold. Adrian also does a nice new take of "Heartbeat" from his King Crimson days and also covers the Roy Orbison/Wilbury's "Not Alone Anymore."
-
To the Moon?
The bit in the article about all three NASA catastrophes occurring within the same calendar week is spooky. What the heck, let's go back to the Moon. I'd be behind it if I thought momentum could be sustained long enough to see a planetary manned mission come to pass. But seeing how the ISS plan was repeatedly downsized until the resulting station was too small to support a maintenance crew AND a science crew (hence rendering it pretty meaningless), I have little to no faith. Even more frustrating is when detractors of the ISS point to the fact that it can't do what was promised and use that as an excuse to further gut the space program rather than learnong the lesson and resigning themselves to providing the resources astually needed to deliver what is promised. Do you appreciate the vicious cycle at work here? It's the same force at work now in the wake of the Columbia disaster. The safety budget was cut in half and the workforce by 25%. Then when that leads to a disaster and loss of life and the 'blue ribbon fact-finding committee' concludes the accident could have and should have been avoided and that the manned space program should end instead of being honest and admitting that cost-cutting made such a disaster inevitable. *&%*$#!!! The rational side of me concedes that 90% of what we need to do in space - launching satellites and the like - can be done way more cheeply and effectively with unmanned Delta, Atlas, or Titans, and even cheaper with Pegasus and taurus for smaller payloads (I can watch all of these as well as shuttle launches from my front yard). A $half-billion per shuttle launch is, admittedly, staggering. But, geez, it's still so damned cool putting people in space. Sorry, never grew up I guess. Pass the Tang.
-
Bhopal Anniversary Rememberance
It's hard to believe that was 20 years ago. Harder still to fathom accidental loss of life on that magnitude, the kind of corporate greed that could have allowed it, and that still keeps justice from being done.
-
Bush to repeal steel tariffs
The statement is circular reasoning. If we worry about global climate change to the point where we change our behavior to combat it, then we (or our descendants) WON'T all be dead. That's kind of the point. We should also worry about it because we've really screwed up the neighborhood for all the other inhabitants -- about 10 million different species-worth according to even conservative estimates. It took 4 billion years of organic evolution to get there, and only 200 years of industrialization to imperil much of it. We do work fast.
-
Russia will not ratify Kyoto
Saying a thing doesn't make it so. The United States actually IS on the forefront of developing (BNUT NOT IMPLEMENTING) strategies such as the EPAs waste minimization (WM) and pollution prevention (P2) strategies, and in the development of potential 'green' product design and waste management technologies designed to recover and conserve resources. The problem is, much like all aspects of corporate environmental stewardship under the current administration, utilizing the waste minimization technologies and strategies is entirely VOLUNTARY. How many power plant upgrades are going to include expensive, satte-of-the-art pollution reducing technologies now that the pending energy legislation is not requiring them to do so? That's about the same number of big companies that are voluntarily implementing WM and P2 strategies. Big buisness will not self-regulate if there is a cost attached. As a result, the EPA under Bush is forced to lower the bar when it comes to compliance until even the worst offenders are given a free pass.
-
Roberto Hernandez rumor
Between the incentives, signing bonus, and anticipated closer's bump, Hawkins was obviously too rich for our blood. To look at it objectively, it's a lot better for us to have the Twins' pen weakened to the benefit of the Cubs'. That's 13 less times we have the possibility of facing Hawkins in games and, more importantly, a big loss to the Twins late relief core. Here's hoping they lose Eddie as well. On the other side, to look at it the way most of us Sox fans are either genetically programmed or environmentally conditioned to do, it's really hard to stomach any move that can better the Evil Empire on the north side of town. :fthecubs :fthecubs
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
They just released a full-length DVD. Hopefully it will be a stocking stuffer from the Missuz.
-
25 albums that should not have been recorded
Dude, the goat f***ers are gonna be soooo pissed at you now.
-
F-ing Awesome CD of the month
And Lord knows he's got plenty of both!
-
***NEWS-Sox trade for Juan Uribe
If he's in the lineup everyday and our offense goes dormant again, we're sure not going to get any help from him. I'll take his defensive skills though.