Everything posted by Chicago White Sox
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
FIFY
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
If I had to guess, there are several sets of leaks here and each with a different origin. The rumored offer of 7/$210M (or whatever it was) seems like it probably was our first, formal offer. That’s actually a somewhat realistic opening offer if Machado’s original ask was in the $350M to $400M range. And it wasn’t until Passan/Gomez said the Sox had offered 8/$250M that is was ever really disputed. My guess is the Sox let that one out of the bag once they were prepared to make their next offer (one Passan/Gomez alluded to) to create some misdirection for the Phillies. Regarding the 8/$250M offer, I truly believe this is legit but was not made in writing and is therefore not a former offer. My guess is Lozano leaked this to put some heat on the Phillies. It should be clear as day that the leaks that came out shortly thereafter from Bob, Bruce, etc. debunking the rumor came out of the White Sox camp. Merkin being part of the posse is proof of that. All that being said, I think these 7/$175M rumors are new beast. The Sox had already put it out there that a 7/$210M offer had been made. There was value in having Philadelphia believe that’s where they were currently sitting. Moving the the number down to $175M (and a $25M AAV) doesn’t really benefit us at that point and quite frankly makes it easy to question its validity since it’s so ridiculous. Therefore, I can only think of two parties who could be responsible for these leaks. IMO, it either has to be the Phillies (in an attempt to convince Harper’s camp that Machado is a much more affordable option) or Boras (in an attempt to embarrass Lozano). I just don’t see anything else that adds up.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Yeah this fucking suck and I’m pissed as hell. And with that Lozano press release yesterday there is zero chance something happens today yet I’ll end up reading through 30 pages of nothing anyways.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I’m not expecting anything until Friday at the earliest unfortunately.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I personally don’t think that’s quite the same as the steroids & HGH that created super humans that broke all records. And did any of those guys get caught for cheating?
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Guys that cheated shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame. It’s really that simple.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Without question, because it means the Phillies aren’t bidding much more for Harper. Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen and Machado will eventually get an AAV in the $30M to $35M range.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Without question, because it means the Phillies aren’t bidding much more for Harper. Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen and Machado will eventually get an AAV in the $30M to $35M range.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
What do you mean by that raBBit?
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Because the Sox currently have the best offer on the table and Machado’s camp is trying to get the Phillies to nut up.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
And guess what? We finally have a good thing in the luxury tax that is creating some level of parity. The problem is there is no salary floor and too many teams are rebuilding (and going cheap as a result). The best solution is put in place a floor and bump up arbitration a year or two earlier depending on when a player is called up.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I think it’s damage control from their 8/$250M offer (or whatever it really is) getting out. Sox really seem to be using their sources to play up the “Jerry is cheap” angle and making it look we’re not a serious threat IMO.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I love when Sox fans are outraged the Yankees just don’t get all the good, young free agents.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
raBBit, are you suggesting Machado prefers Philly over us?
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Like I said last night, if this offer is true and the Sox don’t land Machado, our front office is basically committing franchise suicide. That leaves me to believe the Sox are confident in their ability to get this done and simply want the Phillies to think they’re sitting pretty. And honestly, Jerry having that “cheap” association with him might just give this rumor the credence it needs to be effective.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Like other posters have said, it opens up the chance of another party jumping into the mix. And that’s risky, because sometimes once a billionaire gets involved he doesn’t want to lose.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I don’t know and maybe there is no one, but I still think it’s far more likely a mystery team jumps in the mix for Harper vs. Machado.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Exactly, he isn’t just a baseball move and Boras is trying to sell owners on the intangibles Harper brings to the table & how he can potentially transform a franchise.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Because I think it’s much easier to convince an owner to go over budget & make a big splash on a mega-star like Bryce than it is for a guy with Manny’s baggage.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
I still think something happens sooner rather than later with Machado. Waiting forever isn’t a viable strategy for both given the limited number of suitors and Manny has more to lose IMO if the Sox or Phillies exited his market.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Where are you seeing this?
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Do you mind sharing what that Christmas Eve surprise was supposed to be?
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
- Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Yup, just got to hope the recent smoke was leading up to something.- Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Tomorrow is Wednesday, maybe just maybe something finally happens. - Machado signs with Padres 10/300