White Sox players protested in Seattle

Jose Abreu

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
The article states they pay $50 per day for food PLUS tip.

Again, this seems so antiquated. Management pays players so they can pay management's other employees.

"I'm going to pay you $200,000 per year. But *you* will pay the IT guy that supports you and the cleaning lady. The company isn't responsible for their salaries.

And this is part of a multiple billion dollar organization?!

The organization already pays the employees. The money from the players is for the food and tips, but it's not mandatory they do this. I'm not sure if the results are that there is no food for the sox players next time they come to town but the players are under no obligation to pay. There is usually a standing order or a player rep contacts the clubhouse manager to order the food the players want. it's just standard practice.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
The organization already pays the employees. The money from the players is for the food and tips, but it's not mandatory they do this. I'm not sure if the results are that there is no food for the sox players next time they come to town but the players are under no obligation to pay. There is usually a standing order or a player rep contacts the clubhouse manager to order the food the players want. it's just standard practice.

Which was fine 50 years ago when the players rode buses and made workingmen salaries. Now we have millionaires riding in private planes. Feed the players. They don't have to make their own plane reservations, why bother with food like this?

Hey guys we're in Texas who wants Whataburger?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Which was fine 50 years ago when the players rode buses and made workingmen salaries. Now we have millionaires riding in private planes. Feed the players. They don't have to make their own plane reservations, why bother with food like this?

Hey guys we're in Texas who wants Whataburger?

If that's the case then the players should need to for the players to pay at all. This isn't what the mariners are doing. They are taking the players money and doing it as they see fit.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
If that's the case then the players should need to for the players to pay at all. This isn't what the mariners are doing. They are taking the players money and doing it as they see fit.

Exactly. Like I said they are protecting an antiquated system that needs to go.

Actually it could be said the Ms are taking the money and assuring the players are fed. They have hired employees who accepted the position with that pay structure. What we have here are customers refusing to pay because they don't like how the organization is run. Which is fine. Refuse the food, do your own thing. But if you are going to send the guy for food don't stiff the people who paid for the food you ate.

For all we know the CM likes the new system. He's not handling the accounts payable for the food or payroll. He's just sharing tips plus he has a higher salary than he would have under their old system. Odd that the players are more worked up than the guy doing the job.

Or here's an idea, hire your own guy to get you food in each city. Bypass team employees totally.

:lol:

What a screwed up system from 100 years ago.

So now let's think why the players want to protect the "clubbys"? What else are they providing than food? Personal errands? Arranging dates for the married guys? Perhaps there is more being provided on the $50 per day dues that are collected than above board stuff. $50 does seem steep plus tip.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Exactly. Like I said they are protecting an antiquated system that needs to go.

Actually it could be said the Ms are taking the money and assuring the players are fed. They have hired employees who accepted the position with that pay structure. What we have here are customers refusing to pay because they don't like how the organization is run. Which is fine. Refuse the food, do your own thing. But if you are going to send the guy for food don't stiff the people who paid for the food you ate.

For all we know the CM likes the new system. He's not handling the accounts payable for the food or payroll. He's just sharing tips plus he has a higher salary than he would have under their old system. Odd that the players are more worked up than the guy doing the job.

Or here's an idea, hire your own guy to get you food in each city. Bypass team employees totally.

Who in their right mind would take a job for one series at a time in a city that isn't tied to a team? That is really unrealistic.

Again there are no customers here as the are not obligated to pay, it is totally optional.

The others are possible options. However, the Sox were only protesting the way the Mariners changed it. If the Mariners changed it to one of the others they might not have protested it. They can't protest a change that wasn't made.

if the clubhouse manager liked it, i don't think he would be complaining about it to the players.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
Where did you see that the clubhouse manager complained?

Again, it's a silly system that worked 100 years ago.

It was in one of the articles about him explaining it to the players which is why Sale and Eaton went to the Asst. GM. It is an old system but I started the whole discussion by saying I agreed with the players for protesting this change. And i still. that doesn't mean the system can't be better, i just don't agree with the current change.

Part of the old system is the CM takes the money from the players and gives it to a restaurant for the food and other expenses. Why is having the team pay the bills through their normal accounts payable system a problem for the players?

Part of the old system are quasi team employees not under the direct control of the team. How that has been allowed to go on with modern employment laws, especially for underaged kids, is mind boggling. One article mentioned kids at the stadium at 1:00 am cleaning spikes. That has to be an exaggeration.

Get all this on the up and up, allow the players to tip out the clubbys like they want. Have wages, accounts payable and accounts receivable go through the club. It's the most businesslike method of handling it. When the player's leave you can even give them a full accounting of where their money went. If this gets put into the player's contract I can't imagine any other system would be allowed.

I'm beginning to wonder what else the players have him buy and do that they don't want teams to know. That is the only thing that is making sense to me.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Part of the old system is the CM takes the money from the players and gives it to a restaurant for the food and other expenses. Why is having the team pay the bills through their normal accounts payable system a problem for the players?

Part of the old system are quasi team employees not under the direct control of the team. How that has been allowed to go on with modern employment laws, especially for underaged kids, is mind boggling. One article mentioned kids at the stadium at 1:00 am cleaning spikes. That has to be an exaggeration.

Get all this on the up and up, allow the players to tip out the clubbys like they want. Have wages, accounts payable and accounts receivable go through the club. It's the most businesslike method of handling it. When the player's leave you can even give them a full accounting of where their money went. If this gets put into the player's contract I can't imagine any other system would be allowed.

I'm beginning to wonder what else the players have him buy and do that they don't want teams to know. That is the only thing that is making sense to me.

It's a problem for the players because after all the players because they want the money left over after the food cost to go to the clubbies not the team. If the food bill is 40%, the team keeps 20% and only 40% goes to tips. That is the basic issue. Even if the club returns the money to the clubhouse, how long does it take. Why go through all of the b.s. involved with moving money from one place to another to another.

That's probably not an exaggeration but probably an exception. I've been there later than that working with players and I don't ever remember kids hanging around that long but they could.

the teams know all about what he buys for the players. it's not like it's a secret. He is just the employee that handles all of those things. It isn't a random guy who isn't paid by the club to do it. It's really no different in football, it's just they don't travel as much so it isn't as personal.

there is no reason to put any of it in a contract as again, it's not mandatory. They don't have to do it. They could make the travel secretary do it.

We've killed this topic. But I do find the whole thing fascinating.

I can see this 75 years ago. Players weren't making much money, they didn't have Yelp or Tripadvisor. The travel was rough.

"Hey kid, here's $3, go get me a burger and shake, keep the change."

The players want their money to go to the clubbys, I get that. So the team bills them for 100% of their actual purchases and they are free to tip the staff as much as they like. The team pays the employees a livable wage and they follow applicable labor laws.

But in today's world this just seems so silly and antiquated and in need of modernization. It's great that the players want to take care of these people, although my suspicion is more they want to make certain that the team isn't keeping any of the money the player's are paying. (Which is for stuff the team should be paying for anyway).

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
We've killed this topic. But I do find the whole thing fascinating.

I can see this 75 years ago. Players weren't making much money, they didn't have Yelp or Tripadvisor. The travel was rough.

"Hey kid, here's $3, go get me a burger and shake, keep the change."

The players want their money to go to the clubbys, I get that. So the team bills them for 100% of their actual purchases and they are free to tip the staff as much as they like. The team pays the employees a livable wage and they follow applicable labor laws.

But in today's world this just seems so silly and antiquated and in need of modernization. It's great that the players want to take care of these people, although my suspicion is more they want to make certain that the team isn't keeping any of the money the player's are paying. (Which is for stuff the team should be paying for anyway).

This is it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)

This is likely the heart of the matter. Or what teams don't want to get involved in. Arranging things for women, etc.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
This is likely the heart of the matter. Or what teams don't want to get involved in. Arranging things for women, etc.

The clubhouse manager does nothing like this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
The clubhouse manager does nothing like this.

No, it would be the employees he has working for him that he pays separately. Twice removed from the club's influence.