Marlins scouting Mig Gonzalez

southsider2k5

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
Anyone who follows the major league organization, not just the major league team, should be aware; perhaps not of Tatis specifically, but of the importance of those A ball players in developing an org. Once again see the Red Sox,Cubs, Dodgers: teams that actually developed great systems. Tatis was a WhiteSox bonus baby.

They are still paying $9 million per for a pitcher with bad peripherals. I note with interest that the Jays are only paying $5 million per and Upton was having a good year (and Shields was not, to say the least).

I wasn't lamenting tatis in my post anyway. My point is if they can get out of this essentially as a wash, they should take it and run.

Considering Hansel Rodriguez made the Blue Jay's FutureSox equivalent's "Others of Note" section on their rankings, he was higher in their organization than Tatis in ours.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/12/30/...spects-for-2016

Therefore, you of all people should hate that deal.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Here's how often people mentioned him before June this year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asoxt...2F2016&tbm=

Sorry, he was mentioned once.

When signed.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;#entry3190653

Out of curiosity, if the Shields trade had never happened, what is your best guess as to where you would have ranked Tatis in the Sox system?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
Out of curiosity, if the Shields trade had never happened, what is your best guess as to where you would have ranked Tatis in the Sox system?

Northside is better to ask this than me, but I'd say high 30s to mid 40s.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
well the Sox valued him ($700,000) the same as our #7 prospect curbelo.

That's not how Latin America signings work compared to the draft.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
well the Sox valued him ($700,000) the same as our #7 prospect curbelo.

Not really, no. It is a completely different set up and signing structure. If Curbelo had been an LA signing, he would have gotten a ton more money.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I understand how the draft works OK, I'm just making a point. You don't pony out $700K to a 16 year old unless you think the guy *might* turn into something special.

Well right now most posters here are ready to write off Adolfo and he was signed for more and consistently rated highly by FutureSox.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
I understand how the draft works OK, I'm just making a point. You don't pony out $700K to a 16 year old unless you think the guy *might* turn into something special.

Sure. But that still doesn't change the fact that he wasn't considered one of the top players in Latin America, nor in the White Sox system.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Greenie and I and the other malcontents are not quibbling over Tatis, per se. we are complaining about constantly trading young guys for over-the-hill bums.

If guys like Tatis aren't going to become major leaguers, it isn't a bad thing to turn them into actual major leaguers. That is everyone else's point.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Greenie and I and the other malcontents are not quibbling over Tatis, per se. we are complaining about constantly trading young guys for over-the-hill bums.

Which has burned the Sox how many times? Basically never. The only dude who legitimately has been good is Semien, and while Shark was a bum for the Sox, he was hardly over the hill.

Generally the Sox have traded away guys that never amounted to much of anything at the big league level.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
I never claimed to know which one was going to burn them, but it will eventually. And which one of these trades for over the hill bums has accomplished anything?

Jim Thome worked out pretty well. So did Peavy.

Or are the bums only the ones that don't work out?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
I'm not going to go tit for tat. Gio Gonzalez had a higher WAR in his control years than Thome did for Sox. The Sox have been bad for over a decade now. I don't have to defend that statement. Everybody can have an opinion, that's fine.

Doesn't make the trade a bad one. Thome performed here. There was a chance Gio wouldn't develop the way he did being a prospect.

Edit: if you want to argue a bad Gio Gonzalez trade at least make it the Nick Swisher one for f*** sake.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Doesn't make the trade a bad one. Thome performed here. There was a chance Gio wouldn't develop the way he did being a prospect.

Edit: if you want to argue a bad Gio Gonzalez trade at least make it the Nick Swisher one for f*** sake.

Sox also don't make the playoffs with Gio instead of Thome in 2008.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
It amazes me that anyone thinks winning 89 games and 1 playoff game in a decade is anything even worth mentioning.

In the context of the trade it definitely means something, but nice job moving the goalposts. If the Sox don't move Gio for Thome there's a good chance they have zero playoff appearances in the last decade, so why blame Thome for it?

Edited by OmarComing25