Bleacher Report: Jose Quintana, not Chris Sale, is the most valuable o

Whisox05

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
If that factors into it it's only in the slightest. I think they think trading Sale is what is best for the future.

If they're trading Sale to do what's best for the future, why not move Q as well and get 4 or 5 more players with 5 or 6 years of service instead of Q with just 4 (and burning another year of Q's service years by keeping him into 2017, by the way)? Not trying to argue your reasoning or information. This organization just blows my mind.

I really, really believe Q will be ineffective by about age 32-33 when he loses a few miles of velocity. Maybe he pulls a Buehrle and proves me wrong, but I just can't see him putting up 5 WAR seasons in a few years.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
If they're trading Sale to do what's best for the future, why not move Q as well and get 4 or 5 more players with 5 or 6 years of service instead of Q with just 4 (and burning another year of Q's service years by keeping him into 2017, by the way)? Not trying to argue your reasoning or information. This organization just blows my mind.

I really, really believe Q will be ineffective by about age 32-33 when he loses a few miles of velocity. Maybe he pulls a Buehrle and proves me wrong, but I just can't see him putting up 5 WAR seasons in a few years.

I think it ends up being more of a "retooling" than a blow up/fire sale. Trade Sale for the biggest package of prospects possible and then move Melky, Frazier, and Robertson. I personally say just demolish the whole team, but the way I think the team intends to does have a shot of working. (Just using Boston as hypothetical) If we add Benentendi and Devers to Eaton, Abreu, Anderson, and Collins, come 2018 there could be a glimmer of hope. And that's not including 2 more high picks + whatever we get for Melky/Frazier/Robertson. Maybe a free agent or 2 as well once $ opens up and we are paying a lot of young guys. It would take a lot of things to go right of course, but the quick turnaround route really isn't impossible in my opinion. But again, doing it the right way and trading Q, Eaton, and Abreu and waiting an extra year or 2 makes more sense to me.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
I think it ends up being more of a "retooling" than a blow up/fire sale. Trade Sale for the biggest package of prospects possible and then move Melky, Frazier, and Robertson. I personally say just demolish the whole team, but the way I think the team intends to does have a shot of working. (Just using Boston as hypothetical) If we add Benentendi and Devers to Eaton, Abreu, Anderson, and Collins, come 2018 there could be a glimmer of hope. And that's not including 2 more high picks + whatever we get for Melky/Frazier/Robertson. Maybe a free agent or 2 as well once $ opens up and we are paying a lot of young guys. It would take a lot of things to go right of course, but the quick turnaround route really isn't impossible in my opinion. But again, doing it the right way and trading Q, Eaton, and Abreu and waiting an extra year or 2 makes more sense to me.

This is my fear...that they get a great package for Sale and dump the other expiring guys. If they get off to a good start with whoever we acquire + keep and the new manager, JR will say "we're ready to win". We desperately need the depth that moving Sale, Q, Abreu, Eaton, and Jones would provide. Not just 1 or 2 of them. It's going to be a never-ending cycle of middling until we do it right.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
If that factors into it it's only in the slightest. I think they think trading Sale is what is best for the future.

I just don't know how you could really definitively say "I want to trade Sale, but keep Q" otherwise.

One would think they would remain flexible unless it was a health issue or a makeup issue.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
I just don't know how you could really definitively say "I want to trade Sale, but keep Q" otherwise.

One would think they would remain flexible unless it was a health issue or a makeup issue.

Agreed. I think the losers in the Sale sweepstakes will turn to Q

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)

I think it's as simple as the Sox wanting to keep one of them and Sale bringing back a much bigger return despite one less year of control and not a significant difference in production. I'd be open to trading both of them is the price was right, but if you're determined to keep one then Quintana is definitely that guy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
I think it's as simple as the Sox wanting to keep one of them and Sale bringing back a much bigger return despite one less year of control and not a significant difference in production. I'd be open to trading both of them is the price was right, but if you're determined to keep one then Quintana is definitely that guy.

One would think, but they should be letting the market define that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
One would think, but they should be letting the market define that.

Well they've been having talks about these guys for months now. They should have a pretty good sense of what the markets are for each of them at this point. My guess is Quintana is signicantly undervalued relative to Sale.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:36 PM)
Well they've been having talks about these guys for months now. They should have a pretty good sense of what the markets are for each of them at this point. My guess is Quintana is signicantly undervalued relative to Sale.

Sale is the name-brand item, Q is the generic. Similar production but one is perceived as the far superior product.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)

You and I have been on much the same page for the last several months. I agree. But things change quickly. You might trade Sale first and then actually end up getting the same or better for Q.

This thread itself is about an article making an argument for just that very thing.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I was told the Sox are planning on trading Sale and keeping Q.

That's the smart move. Other teams severely undervalue Q. When he is the ace of our staff he will start to get a lot more attention. Then maybe he could be traded a few years from now if we still aren't close to contending.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)

They will probably hold onto our long term core in case we hit big on the Sale trade. Then move most of the remaining players in 2-3 years if it is a bust. The short term contracts will probably be gone this offseason like you mentioned.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 12:15 AM)
You and I have been on much the same page for the last several months. I agree. But things change quickly. You might trade Sale first and then actually end up getting the same or better for Q.

This thread itself is about an article making an argument for just that very thing.

Oh I 100% agree with you. Quintana's market could completely change once Sale has been traded. The Sox should not have a firm stance on what they'll be doing with Quintana at this point in time. I'm ok if they think they'll end up keeping Q based on current market value, but they need to be open to trading him if the offers materially change after a Sale deal. No one in this organization should be off limits if the right offer comes along IMO.

I just worry that Reinsdorf won't allow the front office to go full rebuild and will force them to hold onto a few of the big name guys despite some big offers.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
They will probably hold onto our long term core in case we hit big on the Sale trade. Then move most of the remaining players in 2-3 years if it is a bust. The short term contracts will probably be gone this offseason like you mentioned.

Exactly. They don't need to trade all right now.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
I think they should trade Sale, Jones, Frazier, and Melky at a minimum. Maybe Abreu and Q too if they get a good offer.

I think it'll be Sale, Frazier, Melky, and Jennings. Maybe Robertson but they might just see if he can dominate the first couple months before trading him.

Edit: I keep forgetting about Gonzalez. If a team needs a back end starter hes there.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
I think it'll be Sale, Frazier, Melky, and Jennings. Maybe Robertson but they might just see if he can dominate the first couple months before trading him.

Edit: I keep forgetting about Gonzalez. If a team needs a back end starter hes there.

If Jones has another good year, they should be able to squeeze a real premium out of him in July.