2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The multiple different proposals are starting to get very exciting. I do think this is my preferred approach. The reason being I think part of the reason America spends so much on Healthcare is because a small portion wants to.

This would allow the group that just wants and needs basic healthcare to get a good exchange at a good price.

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/10/20/...-x-single-payer

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
The multiple different proposals are starting to get very exciting. I do think this is my preferred approach. The reason being I think part of the reason America spends so much on Healthcare is because a small portion wants to.

This would allow the group that just wants and needs basic healthcare to get a good exchange at a good price.

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/10/20/...-x-single-payer

It's an improvement over the status quo and maybe it's politically the only viable road in the foreseeable future, but I don't get the desire to perpetuate the scale of the private insurance industry. I'd still rather have a baseline guaranteed healthcare for every American rather than relying on exchanges and marketplaces.

eg:

When they scored a public option, they estimated premiums would be 7 to 8 percent lower. Common sense tells you what it would look like. The politics of this are different than they were 10 years ago, too. Now these rural counties want a meaningful solution to the issues that they’re confronting with high-priced insurance and high deductibles that don’t cover them well.

that's still going to mean expensive premiums, possibly high deductibles for a lot of people who might still struggle to afford that. As a practical matter of "what can actually pass," okay, maybe this is the best that can happen in 2020. As a long-term goal though? We can and should do so much better than that.

this is also emblamatic of how much of a wet fart of a pick Kaine was:

I listen to Republicans, and they say they want more choices and affordability. We’ve got something for them. I’m not looking to make my case just to Democrats to vote for it. I hope we can make a successful effort with Republicans, too.

sure buddy, keep hoping for good faith negotiation to expand health care on the part of Republicans, they sure have demonstrated that they deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Edited by StrangeSox

Eh, you are jumping to conclusions based on no evidence. "It's probably going to be high premiums and high deductions"

Based on what? It's not like they'd remove subsidies in a move like this, but for those on the other end of the sliding scale they could be paying significantly less with much more cost certainty year to year.

And all of the single payer talk uses out of pocket costs at treatment and hand waves away the significant payroll tax that it would require.

It also does make an easier on ramp to consuming the insurance through insurer population.

I'm basing it on the "7-8% lower." That's not even enough to cover the typical year-to-year premium increase.

e: Sanders plan doesn't hand waive away the costs. It explicitly spells them out.

How much would all this cost? Nearly $1.4 trillion a year.

To pay for it, all Americans and employers would see a tax hike. Sanders called for a new 2.2% income tax on all Americans and a 6.2% levy on employers. He would also increase taxes on the wealthy.

But, he argues, people would save money since they would no longer have to pay monthly premiums or deductibles. A family of four earning $50,000 would save more than $5,800 each year.

"As a patient, all you need to do is go to the doctor and show your insurance card," his campaign proposal said.

Businesses, meanwhile, would save more than $9,400 annually since they would no longer have to pick up their share of workers' health insurance premiums.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
This happens almost every time he speaks somewhere. Why are colleges still inviting him to speak?

They're not.

These are Public Universities. Therefore, they are run by the government and the government is not in the business of regulating free speech based on the content. If he follows the rules to book facilities as an outside group and the college allows outside groups to use their facilities, or someone affiliated with the campus is allowed to book facilities, then they have to follow the rules regardless of the group. He has won and will continue winning those lawsuits and the ACLU will be on his side. The University cannot say that they will not host him because of what he might say. Some of them have snuck around based on security exemptions, but you can't invent that rule when the College Republicans want to book him.

He was here at A&M last fall and the university held an opposing event. He was invited by a former student who arranged the event. The university didn't host him, but because they provide facilties for any valid group, they had to accept him.

The best sign I saw was "Texas Aggies: fighting Nazis since 1941 (It's taking a little longer than we thought)".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
They're not.

These are Public Universities. Therefore, they are run by the government and the government is not in the business of regulating free speech based on the content. If he follows the rules to book facilities as an outside group and the college allows outside groups to use their facilities, or someone affiliated with the campus is allowed to book facilities, then they have to follow the rules regardless of the group. He has won and will continue winning those lawsuits and the ACLU will be on his side. The University cannot say that they will not host him because of what he might say. Some of them have snuck around based on security exemptions, but you can't invent that rule when the College Republicans want to book him.

He was here at A&M last fall and the university held an opposing event. He was invited by a former student who arranged the event. The university didn't host him, but because they provide facilties for any valid group, they had to accept him.

The best sign I saw was "Texas Aggies: fighting Nazis since 1941 (It's taking a little longer than we thought)".

I'm not sure what you can do to fix the issue of these speakers costing universities hundreds of thousands of dollars while bringing nothing of value, which is one is the reasons they go.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)
WSJ reported earlier today that the FBI has been brought into the investigation. Something doesn't seem right here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-of-u-s-s...cism-1508457444

LA Times with more

Pentagon investigating troubling questions after deadly Niger ambush

The questions arising from the incident, particularly about the availability of additional military support to the patrol, echo those raised in the aftermath of the 2012 Benghazi attack in Libya, which resulted in the deaths of four people: U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, foreign service information officer Sean Smith, and CIA contractors Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said on Thursday that getting to the bottom of what happened may require subpoenas.

“That's why we're called the Senate Armed Services Committee,” he said. “It's because we have oversight of our military. So we deserve to have all the information."

I eagerly await the 12 different congressional investigations Republicans are sure to convene on this matter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Thats why I dont understand his angle. Almost nothing to be gained by labeling himself an "independent" and he loses a lot of influence in the Democratic party.

Didn't he say he'd run as a democract next time?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
He probably got sick of being demonized by the party of acceptance as if he was responsible for what happened in 2016.

Sanders has run as an independent for years and only briefly joined the Democratic Party for his presidential run. He still hold his Senate seat as an Independent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
He probably got sick of being demonized by the party of acceptance as if he was responsible for what happened in 2016.

Not sure where this "demonizing" is happening. Last I checked Sanders was appointed as the Chair of Outreach of the Democratic party after the election.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11...reach/93960822/

Seems like Democrats worked in good faith to set Bernie up for a potentially successful run in 2020, but Bernie is deciding to burn those bridges.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Not sure where this "demonizing" is happening. Last I checked Sanders was appointed as the Chair of Outreach of the Democratic party after the election.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11...reach/93960822/

Seems like Democrats worked in good faith to set Bernie up for a potentially successful run in 2020, but Bernie is deciding to burn those bridges.

2016, not so much.

There's still a lot of bad blood but I don't know why "Sanders who has always run as an independent may continue to run as an independent" is news or a sign of anything.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
Cool. But frankly this is Bernie's party now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpo...m=.e07bbeb85fb5

hahaha they seriously considered that?

Edited by StrangeSox