Keith Law Farm System and Player rankings

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 11:25 PM)
Surprised to see the Sox in at #10. We all figured top 5.

Monday starts his top 100 ranking. Wondering if that's where we see Fulmer, Collins, maybe Burdi or Hansen.

I doubt Burdi or Fulmer is in his top 100. He'll have Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Collins, and probably Lopez in there for sure. I bet he has Hansen too.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
I just don't get how Burdi isn't a top 100 prospect. The guy has the chance to be an elite closer and his floor is probably an elite setup man. Not suggesting he should be a top 50 or even 75 guy, but to not crack the list is crazy to me.

Was Addison Reed? Betances? Giles?

Usually those guys end up 75-100 but not much higher...although, with the new elevated focus on multiple inning elite relievers, you'd think some theoretically could be at least in the 60-75 range.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
Was Addison Reed? Betances? Giles?

Usually those guys end up 75-100 but not much higher...although, with the new elevated focus on multiple inning elite relievers, you'd think some theoretically could be at least in the 60-75 range.

Reed was ranked #66 in 2011. Betances was ranked three different times, but he was also a starter I believe. No go on Giles.

I just don't get how Burdi isn't a top 100 prospect. The guy has the chance to be an elite closer and his floor is probably an elite setup man. Not suggesting he should be a top 50 or even 75 guy, but to not crack the list is crazy to me.

I could see him making the back end of a couple lists.

Burdi just isn't the kind of player who makes these lists 7 months after being drafted. Also there's some harm in projecting closers because there is a mental part of closing games that some guys just have and others dont. In a post Andrew Miller "firefighter" world that may not be as big a deal, but it still matters to have a guy that you feel can win you 1-run games in the 9th. Find that kind of pitcher and a lot of wins can come out of nowhere.

If he hits and becomes an elite closer it would be a very big deal. That would seriously accelerate the rebuild

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Sorry Sox system is better than 10, top 5 easy. SOS from Law when it comes to the Sox.

Our system is very top heavy right now, and really tails off after the top ten.

This is not the end of the world, but we need to improve our prospect depth, especially with position players and left handed pitchers

#100-81 came out today..... Collins made it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6172

95. Zack Collins, C, Chicago White Sox

Basically said he doesn't think he will stick at catcher, but his bat could carry him at another position anyway. Weirdly said he "has some on base ability", which I find is a gross understatement.

He was a college reliever; one of the reasons he was ranked reasonably high in the draft was the belief that he could get to the majors quickly - while that quick to the majors feature appeals to teams in the draft and provides a speedy ROI, I'm not sure it translates to a high prospect ranking. And at the time of the draft, Hahn was still operating as if the Sox "were still in it", as the draft was around the same time as the Shields folly.

No way Fulmer makes the top 100; Hansen may, but I doubt it.

Edited by GreenSox

Not to mention that Tatis will probably end up at 3B, where we desperately need a player in the future. The contract was bad enough...but that was one of the biggest swindles off a false positive start the last 12 months, other than the Shelby Miller deal.

Meanwhile, Adolfo is stuck in Low A ball. The one guy we identify correctly gets traded away. Props to Preller for being an expert on Latin American prospects...would be interesting to see the other names SD targeted.

On a more positive note, at least the Sox scouted a young kid correctly. Who is the scout that found him and coerced him into signing with the Sox? Pay that man to keep doing his job. Unless Tatis flames out...then rake him over a long bed of coals and smash his testicles.

And signed for only $700k, a bargain price in recent years in the Latin American market. $100k scholarship as well.

http://dplbaseball.com/featured-post/tatis...h-the-whitesox/

He developed with Giovani ¨Sabino¨ Ubiera in San Pedro de Macoris. Hard to find the scout who signed him.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...ernando-tatis-2

No listing for the scout.

Almost threw up when I read this....

"There’s upside across the board here, from the physical tools to the makeup to the incredible feel for the game in a kid who would be a high school senior right now if he were U.S.-born. There’s risk, given his age, but we might look back on this deal in a few years and call it the Fernando Tatis trade."

Stats only mean so much and this and that and scouting is so much more important but this is an important piece of information all the same:

Courtney Hawkins - 2012 A ball - .308/.352/.631, 5.6% BB, 23.6% K, .356 BABIP, 72 PAs

Fernando Tatis Jr - 2016 A- ball - .273/.306/.455, 6.1% BB, 26.5% K, .364 BABIP, 49 PAs

Both were 18 years old. Both are 6'3". Hawkins is listed at 245, but I'm guessing Tatis Jr will probably be bigger than the 185 he is currently listed at. Both put up similar numbers in rookie ball of the same year.

I'm not going to tell you that Tatis is going to be bad, but I am going to say that it's a familiar name, that he fits a certain profile, and that Law is trying to sell subscriptions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:15 AM)
Stats only mean so much and this and that and scouting is so much more important but this is an important piece of information all the same:

Courtney Hawkins - 2012 A ball - .308/.352/.631, 5.6% BB, 23.6% K, .356 BABIP, 72 PAs

Fernando Tatis Jr - 2016 A- ball - .273/.306/.455, 6.1% BB, 26.5% K, .364 BABIP, 49 PAs

Both were 18 years old. Both are 6'3". Hawkins is listed at 245, but I'm guessing Tatis Jr will probably be bigger than the 185 he is currently listed at. Both put up similar numbers in rookie ball of the same year.

I'm not going to tell you that Tatis is going to be bad, but I am going to say that it's a familiar name, that he fits a certain profile, and that Law is trying to sell subscriptions.

By placating Padres fans?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:37 AM)
Do you know who Fernando Tatis is? Then let me tell you about his son!

Yeeeeah, but he could have just have easily dropped him in at #97 instead of #47 if he was really blowing Tatis Jr up to get people to read his list. Unless you are inferring that Law is purposefully making some of his rankings wildly different from other rankings to draw a buzz. I can see him (or anyone) doing that for a #1 prospect (Everyone else has Moncada as the #1 prospect, Law has Gleyber Torres!), but I feel like you also want to be right to build credibility and if Law sees Tatis as #47, I would imagine the other rankers would have them in their top 100s as well.

And if not, then I would agree with you about the shock-and-awe tactic, although I still think that plays up at lot more at #1 than #47.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:37 AM)
Let me leave this here also though

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=3476919

To be fair, Law did cite a very good AZL showing that apparently opened a ton of eyes, and at 17, I imagine he could improve in such a short amount of time physically.

I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks of Tatis Jr before assuming Law is just trying to stand out.