Thomas

The Beast

Think about the time he switched to concentrating on home runs and rbi rather than average. He had been the highest average hitter behind only Jimenez, and highest OBP on the team. Maggs started hitting, Lee was put 2nd in the order and flourished, and Maggs went on a .600+ tear, and Konerko started hitting. It was a good time to chase the long ball and get rbis while others were 'carrying' the club.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about the time he switched to concentrating on home runs and rbi rather than average. He had been the highest average hitter behind only Jimenez, and highest OBP on the team. Maggs started hitting, Lee was put 2nd in the order and flourished, and Maggs went on a .600+ tear, and Konerko started hitting. It was a good time to chase the long ball and get rbis while others were 'carrying' the club.

You mean despite Manuel wanting him to concentrate on hitting the ball the other way?

You mean despite Manuel wanting him to concentrate on hitting the ball the other way?

Manuel was only concerned about his RBIs, and said so when Thomas said he'd go for the long ball. Thomas delivered both.

Suddenly changing a tried and true approach didn't work. He had 12, 13 years of success by being a "go the other way" hitter and then he's going to swing for the fences.

The whole team, Frank included, could've and should have watched Minnesota highlites, and not just from September. The reason why the Twins stayed in the hunt and ultimately prevailed is because everyone up there stuck with the same approach that brought them to the dance ... namely, playing winning baseball and not swinging for the fences.

He's going to strike out more times than walk this year ... and that's not what made him the great hitter he was and I believe he still can be.

They all need to decide what his role will be ... Frank and management. Not halfway through a year, right from the get-go. That includes Frank's batting approach (swing for the fences or hit .310 or so). Then, surround him accordingly with players who will complement what he does.

Either way, the Twins, the A's, etc. prove to me that guys with higher average, obp, less strikeouts, etc. can more effectively carry a team than a .265 hitter w/40 HR's. As to why leadership down there doesn't just say, "hey Frank, we need you to be the guy you were for 12 years ... .310, 30-35 HR's, more walks than K's, OBP .420+, that helps us win ... not swinging for the fences ... not changing your approach midyear" ... well, shame on them. Otherwise, you've got the tail wagging the dog.

I don't compare what Frank is capable of doing with Jimenez ... it's two different planets. Even with Frank's 41 HR's, his RBI numbers are not outstanding, even Lee has more RBI's. So, to me, whoever decided on Frank's newfound approach, i.e. go for power, to heck with the average ... they made a mistake. It did not work. They didn't win. It's all hypothetical, but I'd bet if Frank had the .310 average, a few less HR's, higher OBP as he certainly has proven, this team would've been better off.

Ncorg:

Do you see an announcement on KW coming soon? And might that be a part of Frank's upcoming decision?

Forkit!

I'm HOPING it comes as the first announcement after the season ends. The media got wind of it last week.

As for Carlton Fisk, Roman:

The White Sox betrayed Fisk, not the other way around. 

Did you read my post or perhaps youre going blind? I said this organization (The Sox) will have betrayed another legend (the first legend being Carlton Fisk and the second being Frank). Dont change my words around...

Hey corg, I hate how you think of Colon, but when talking about Thomas, you are the f***in man! :headbang  :headbang

When you learn the truth about Colon, little one, you'll forgive me.

Corg:

Notice you didn't include Maggs in your possible team for next year.

That suggests you're thinking a trade is in order.

That so?

What would the sox be looking for?

Hopefully a young SS and another pitcher. Or maybe a catcher.

what say you?

Yes. I love Maggs, but I don't think he's worth $14 million.

Get as good as we can, and as much as we can, someone will overpay for him. Our biggest holes are in the pen, start there.

Put him in the fifth spot wheres power is all that is necessary then for chrissakes. You dont just dump a guy like Frank...

I really believe that Frank only did the power thing truly believing he could carry the team with homers. He did great in the power dept, but obviously the average dropped. I think Frank realized, maybe after his last meeting with Hriniak in Boston, that he could do both the power and average thing. I look for biggerthings from the Hurt in 2004 and in a Sox uniform.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well it will be interesting to see if 1. danny evans stays in LA or 2. beane moves in there.. frank stayin or going may depend on that .......... ;) i dont know about anyone else but i sure as heck would love to have danny back here......

Ok, I'm the first to admit when I may be wrong about something and after reading Corg's posts about Frank, perhaps this is one of those times. I'll withdraw all my criticism of Thomas based on the fact that Corg is a helluva lot closer to the situation than I am.

I get the feeling Big Frank is here to stay. I doubt we could unload him... he is a veteran, and as a DH he has value. Chicago Tonight had the Sportswriters on yesterday and they were talking about Crede being the guy to build the team around. Having Maggs would be great too, but if we can get someone to take that salary and we fill our defensive and pitching holes... we would be in a better position. The fact is that the Sox sadly were never as good as their hype this year and there are a lot of holes that this ship needs to fill over the winter. Here's to hoping that KW or whoever has that job this winter will get the right people in.

Frank has got to go. This was a nice comeback year for him until the last couple of months. He's had 10 years to lead this team deep into the playoffs and has failed miserably. He is all about "me, me, me" and we all know he cant get along with the media. Of course he wants to win and be the leader of the team, but he shows no heart about it.

Having him gone would be the biggest step of rebuilding this team. Maybe we can finally build around pitching and have some speed. Dont even try comparing him to Fisk because this organization has given Frank all the respect in the world and played him wherever he wanted, while listening to his constant b****ing.

Thats cool elrockinMT....but with that being saod, we have to find a way to move Konerko from this team, we'll need the $$$ he is making, and it will be better spent elsewhere.

Arguments can be made either way about Konerko. I am really not sure how to take him this year. I stood by him through the slump, but towards the end of the season he started to fall back again after producing with a vengance. I like Paulie, but I think he could be trade bait. If Frank doesn't play !B, who do you think might? Do we have a youngster in the minors ready for a try at it?

Arguments can be made either way about Konerko. I am really not sure how to take him this year. I stood by him through the slump, but towards the end of the season he started to fall back again after producing with a vengance. I like Paulie, but I think he could be trade bait. If Frank doesn't play !B, who do you think might? Do we have a youngster in the minors ready for a try at it?

You can find a firstbaseman in free agency. David Ortiz last year, Randall effn Simon this year was picked up cheap, Fick was a free agent last year...people are talking about Spezio...there'll be guys out there.

How could those guys say build a team around Crede?

I say pay Maggs superstar money.

How the hell can we expect to win anything significant without

an ace or two as starters and no stars like Maggs??

If we want to win anything of significance we need some stars.