I AM WHITE/AMERICAN PRIVILEGE

caulfield12

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
call me a bleeding heart, but the "unfair situation" of taking a little from someone who has a lot, to give a little to someone who has nothing, is something I'm ok with. I understand that others aren't. But there we have the fundamental disagreement between Democrats and Republicans.

This is the exact and basic issue and the two sides will have difficulty meeting due to it.

Why should people be forced to give something they worked to earn to someone who hasn't earned it vs. these people need help and because society will be better if we raise the bottom up toward the middle, everyone else should help them.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
call me a bleeding heart, but the "unfair situation" of taking a little from someone who has a lot, to give a little to someone who has nothing, is something I'm ok with. I understand that others aren't. But there we have the fundamental disagreement between Democrats and Republicans.

If this is a disagreement between Dems and Reps you are about the most liberal Republican I've ever met :lol:

Fair in the sense of splitting the bill, not fair in how the care is different. I'm thinking fairness on the scale of you stopped by for just a cup of coffee, I had a bottle of wine, a nice steak, dessert and because you make $15,000 more than me we will split the bill evenly. Actually you should pay 60% of the bill. You would find this fair because people have to eat and you make more than I do.

I still believe the fairest situation is everyone pays for their own care. The UNfairness comes in when we consider the inequality of opportunity and economic conditions in America. Our economy needs poor people. There are jobs that cannot pay a wage that would allow people to actually pay for the basic food, shelter, raiment, and healthcare that is necessary to survive. Our system requires people to compete for jobs, often based on being willing to work for less wages than someone else. As long as there are people willing to work for poverty wages businesses can pay poverty wages. As long as people are afraid of a $12 Big Mac voters will accept people living in poverty. We hide behind this idea that anyone can improve themselves and get out of poverty, which is true, but that does not take into account that someone else has to take that poverty waged job or we would have horrible inflation. These poverty wage jobs are necessary and are growing. The goal of every business is to be the next WalMart or Amazon. Drive costs (wages are the biggest) down and sell, sell, sell. That is the root of the unfairness. If there was true fairness in job opportunities and wages, every working person could actually pay for their own food, clothing, raiment, and healthcare.

While it certainly is moral and ethical that I should pay for Larry's broken arm because he can't and I can, it isn't fair. While it is morally and ethically correct for me to pay for Bob's can of beans because he can't and I can, that doesn't mean it is fair.

Again, I understand that system of everyone paying for the care they receive is unworkable and I am not a fan. I prefer a single payer system where everyone has equal access to healthcare.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:25 AM)
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/inside-ubers...-194232221.html

I should have added male privilege to the thread title, just to be clear/er.

Yes you should. Teaching at a primarily minority institution, I am constantly reminded as a Caucasian, male, I am the cause of the problems with the world.