5/26 Games

joejoedairy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
Would be a fascinating argument about the order of ERA if one of these four were picked to go 20 starts for the remainder of the season in Chicago...who would perform the best, Lopez, Fulmer, Giolito or Kopech?

I'd go with either Kopech or Lopez, just a hunch. I'm sure others think the exact opposite, especially after Giolito's no hitter, that maybe something finally is starting to click with him the last 2-3 times out on the bump.

You have got to be kidding. The kids max innings for any season is 65. He'll be lucky to get 15 more starts the rest of the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
Was there ever more info about Dunning being skipped?

Haven't found anything. Maybe Matt can ask?a

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
It would be nice to see Collins hitting for a higher average, but man, it's tough for me to worry about him when he still has an OBP near .400.

I personally love Willie flipping him and Basabe in the batting order.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
A lot on here questioned his hitch, and then seeing Josh Norris say today that some scouts think his hitch will prevent him from hitting at higher levels was concerning.

I've also seen it suggested that his patient approach will play better at the higher levels, so let's see I guess

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
Haven't found anything. Maybe Matt can ask?a

I personally love Willie flipping him and Basabe in the batting order.

I dream of a White Sox future where Moncada & Collins are batting 1 & 2 and grind pitchers into the dirt to start every game.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
I've also seen it suggested that his patient approach will play better at the higher levels, so let's see I guess

I can easily see him having a ridiculous walk rate in AA. I've seen guys who don't have quite the discipline walk alot in AA. We'll see about the K's.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 26, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
You have got to be kidding. The kids max innings for any season is 65. He'll be lucky to get 15 more starts the rest of the season.

It was just a theoretical question. Won't happen, anyway.

Kopech could get 15 starts and he'd probably end up with 60-75 more innings at that level.

Undoubtedly, we won't see him in 2017. They'll have to decide about the AFL, but probably shut him down at the end of August.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 26, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
It would be nice to see Collins hitting for a higher average, but man, it's tough for me to worry about him when he still has an OBP near .400.

Shows how good High A ball is compared to college.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
His peripherals are virtually identical to last year (exact same walk rate, striking out 1.1% less, ISO .07 down. The only difference is a nearly 60 point BABIP drop. He had an above-average BABIP in college. 132 wRC+ coming in. Wouldn't be worrying that much, although would probably like to see a little progress repeating the level.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)

I have mentioned concern about Collins' hitting before and nothing about the past few weeks has put away those concerns. We now have enough pro ball sample size to tell how good his bat is, and it hasn't been as good as advertised thus far. His plate discipline will carry forward in upper minors, but you gotta figure with better competition, it will be harder to draw walks at this rate without hitting.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
I agree that better umps should help him

I think the improved control and command from opposing pitchers in higher levels will hurt him more than better umps would help. He will still draw walks at a good rate, but not enough to sustain an .800 OPS without actually hitting the ball.