Renteria is a horrible in-game manager

Jose Abreu

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
When he does that, he isn't doing it for strategy. I think that is the disconnect here. To me he is trying to ingrain the skill into certain guys skill sets so that when they really do need it, they have the ability and count/situation are not something they are thinking about because they will have done it under all circumstances.

Timely article on exact this topic. He isn't really worried about the situation as much as the skill. Translation: He knows this year, and these games don't matter, so he is using these games as extended spring training to teach skills and evaluation what players can and can't do.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ria-and-bunting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Timely article on exact this topic. He isn't really worried about the situation as much as the skill. Translation: He knows this year, and these games don't matter, so he is using these games as extended spring training to teach skills and evaluation what players can and can't do.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ria-and-bunting

Most of this roster won't be around when the Sox are good again. Even if Moncada was a good bunter, bunting in that situation was dumb if you are trying to win a game. Why not get him prepared to do something you would want him to do to win the game?

The problem here is Renteria is in absolute love with the bunt. I'm not one of these don't bunt ever guys. I do think there is a time and place for them. He should use those times if he has this urgency to bunt.

I've yet to ever see a good player have some polish taken off his abilities because he wasn't a good bunter. It seems Renteria cares about this skill way too much.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Most of this roster won't be around when the Sox are good again. Even if Moncada was a good bunter, bunting in that situation was dumb if you are trying to win a game. Why not get him prepared to do something you would want him to do to win the game?

The problem here is Renteria is in absolute love with the bunt. I'm not one of these don't bunt ever guys. I do think there is a time and place for them. He should use those times if he has this urgency to bunt.

I've yet to ever see a good player have some polish taken off his abilities because he wasn't a good bunter. It seems Renteria cares about this skill way too much.

I've never been a fan of bunting, because the majority of the time you are conceding an out. Baseball is a game of outs and why make things any easier for the other team?

In the National league it might make more sense with most pitchers being awful at the plate.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
I've never been a fan of bunting, because the majority of the time you are conceding an out. Baseball is a game of outs and why make things any easier for the other team?

In the National league it might make more sense with most pitchers being awful at the plate.

The hitter has to be awful, and the k-rate has to be up there (although I would never have Matt Davidson bunt), and he would have had to have shown you either in spring training or BP or somewhere, he was up to the task. Too many times the White Sox hitters have shown they have no chance getting a bunt down. Stop after the first attempt. At least stop after the second attempt. Thankfully, he didn't have Moncada try it with 2 strikes like he has a couple times previously, when everyone in the park knew what would happen.

Games versus the Cubs was just strange, Engel , Moncada, Anderson all got on early where the runner and situation called for a stolen base Why does bunting take precedent over steals ? Only Anderson attempted a steal but I am not sure if it was a hit and run since there was a swing every time Anderson attempted to run.