Luis Robert out for at least 7 days

maxjusttyped

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

8s

Rick Hahn said Luis Robert will finish the season in the DSL and then go through Instructional League action there.

Do mean Instructional League HERE, or IL in The Dominican?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
Do mean Instructional League HERE, or IL in The Dominican?

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...-sprained-ankle

“Right now it’s a matter of getting him healthy and playing again,” Hahn said. “He’s done very well in a short period of time he’s been able to play, but between the knee and ankle he hasn’t got to play for six, eight weeks straight. Hopefully he’s back in 7-10 days, he will finish the year out in the DSL. I suspect he’ll be part of the DSL instructional league and we’ll see where he’s at come next spring training.”

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 06:28 AM)
You hate to take aggressiveness and speed away from a guy but I would analyze his sliding to see if a technique issue and while working on it ban him from stealing in a game.

This is a pretty minor injury that I would not worry too much about. I would not ban him from stealing in games as he will have plenty of time to rest and recover in the offseason to be fresh for 2018.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Robert is going to be fine.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say let's just write off his 2017 and get excited when he joins Kanny next April. Also, CWS is right on with the tax implications of keeping him in the DR. If that's the price to pay than so be it.

If that was what got him to sign... Viva la Dominican!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
Robert is going to be fine.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say let's just write off his 2017 and get excited when he joins Kanny next April. Also, CWS is right on with the tax implications of keeping him in the DR. If that's the price to pay than so be it.

Right now I see a realistic track for Robert to be:

Start 2018 season in A ball, with the possibility of promotion to A+ with good performance. I expect a player with his pedigree to thrive and show us what he's got.

Start 2019 should be in A+ ball or possibly AA if everything breaks right for him.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
Right now I see a realistic track for Robert to be:

Start 2018 season in A ball, with the possibility of promotion to A+ with good performance. I expect a player with his pedigree to thrive and show us what he's got.

Start 2019 should be in A+ ball or possibly AA if everything breaks right for him.

Robert is a really difficult one to predict. Until we get him to the point where we can see where he is ready and where he is raw, we don't know if he will be here soon, or more of a traditional path. In theory with his international experience he could zoom through especially the lower levels of the minors. It wouldn't shock me at all if he were quickly in AA in 2018. It also wouldn't shock me if he wasn't in Chicago until next decade. There is more unknown with him than literally any other player the White Sox control right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
Robert is a really difficult one to predict. Until we get him to the point where we can see where he is ready and where he is raw, we don't know if he will be here soon, or more of a traditional path. In theory with his international experience he could zoom through especially the lower levels of the minors. It wouldn't shock me at all if he were quickly in AA in 2018. It also wouldn't shock me if he wasn't in Chicago until next decade. There is more unknown with him than literally any other player the White Sox control right now.

I agree there are plenty of unknowns with Robert outside of him being in Kannapolis to start 2018.

At age 18 Robert put up scary good numbers in the Cuban professional league, so theoretically he should be more advanced than your average international prospect. I don't put much into DSL stats because it's not representative of the competition he will face even in A ball stateside.

The talent is there, and I think he will be a very fun player for us to follow.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Robert should move fast IMO. He will likely start 2018 in Kannapolis, but I don't see him staying there long. I think 2020 is a realistic ETA for him.

The more I dig into Robert, the happier I get.

He has massive potential given his tools, and it's exciting to see what he will be able to do with professional coaching and development. I think mlb.com sells him short with a 50 hit tool given what scouts have said about how nice his swing and bat speed are. Sure, he could flame out, but he also could be one of the best overall prospects in baseball by this time next year.