Future Lineup and rotation idea's

whitesoxwinner

So, short-term thinking, what does the rotation realistically look like for 2018? You'd have to think Giolito is going to get his shot at his first full major league stint, regardless how bad he is at AAA this season. Lopez is probably there. Rodon obviously. Who else? I dont think Dunning will be up at the start of the season. Shields and Holland will be gone, (thank goodness), so who mans the other 2 spots? Another couple rentals?? Or are we trying our luck with Holmberg again?

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 04:32 AM)
So, short-term thinking, what does the rotation realistically look like for 2018? You'd have to think Giolito is going to get his shot at his first full major league stint, regardless how bad he is at AAA this season. Lopez is probably there. Rodon obviously. Who else? I dont think Dunning will be up at the start of the season. Shields and Holland will be gone, (thank goodness), so who mans the other 2 spots? Another couple rentals?? Or are we trying our luck with Holmberg again?

Is it a slamdunk that Shields, who is signed for next year, is gone?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:54 AM)
Is it a slamdunk that Shields, who is signed for next year, is gone?

I doubt they cut him loose.

for '18

Rodon*

Shields

Giolito

Lopez

Cobb - or another FA pick similar to Holland.

Right now I'd assume it would be:

1) Rodon

2) Shields

3) Lopez

4) Vet depth signing

5) Giolito/Fulmer/Danish

My guess is Shields is DFAed as soon as a spot is needed for a younger guy.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 03:02 AM)
I previously posted this on /r/whitesox.

This is the magical Christmas land line up where everyone lives up to the hype. Not likely I know but I enjoy being able to dream on this farms potential.

'19-'20 Batting Order

CF Luis Robert

2B Yoan Moncada#

LF Eloy Jimenez

1B Gavin Sheets*

3B Jake Burger

C Zack Collins*

DH Jose Abreu

RF Blake Rutherford*

SS Tim Anderson

I doubt Abreu goes anywhere; He wants to mentor the youth movement and is a great ambassador for the team. When his arbitration is up I think the sox lock him up for 3 more years with an option. Additionally 1B & DH have had their value become depressed recently, I also doubt Hahn would get a return to warrant trading him.

'19-'20 Rotation

SP Michael Kopech

SP Carlos Rodon*

SP Lucas Giolito

SP Jordan Guerrero*

SP Alec Hansen

This system is deep in pitching and its almost getting to the point where you can put their names in a hat and not feel bad with what you pull out; Lopez, Dunning, Cease, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens & Clarkin, and that isn't including the '17 draft class.

I've been blown away with how quickly Hahn was able to navigate the talent acquisition phase. The system is a great blend of high ceiling and moderate floor, specifically Collins, Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez, Skoug, Fisher, Call & Mendick and the dearth of pitching talent.

There are some solid major league growth assets in Rodon & Anderson even with down years and some of the younger players might develop into 2-2.5WAR regulars: Yolmer Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Adam Engel & Matt Davidson, that was something that was desperately missed with the recent roster constructions with Sale, Q & Eaton, stars & scrubs with out a sufficent amount of average major league players and depth. There are some interesting players near mlb ready in Delmonico, Liriano, Willy Garcia & the recently acquired Polo that might stick and turn into something as well.

Finally they still have one asset they can sell high and likely cash in for another top 100 prospect in Avi. They will be at the front of the line for wavier claims; like Alen Hansen. They will likely have a top 5 pick in '18 & '19 and complement that with the rule V and major league roster space to stash them. It would be wonderful if they hit the lotto and land the next Odubel Herrera or Joakim Soria. Lastly they will have a plenty of money for the upcoming stacked free agent classes that can supplement this roster going into their window, their adjusted payroll for 2019 is 5.6 million before any arbitration or free agent signings.

Great write-up! The only thing I disagree on is Lopez not being in the rotation.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 06:55 AM)
Great write-up! The only thing I disagree on is Lopez not being in the rotation.

Thanks and thats fair, like I said pick 5 out of a hat I doubt you'll be disappointed.

If Stephens or Adams gets a chance to make some AAA starts next month, they wouldn't be out of the running for a rotation spot in 2018.

I'll go with

Rodon

Lopez

Shields

Giolito

Scrap heap veteran to start the year, then Stephens

Fulmer and Danish in the pen.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
I previously posted this on /r/whitesox.

This is the magical Christmas land line up where everyone lives up to the hype. Not likely I know but I enjoy being able to dream on this farms potential.

'19-'20 Batting Order

CF Luis Robert

2B Yoan Moncada#

LF Eloy Jimenez

1B Gavin Sheets*

3B Jake Burger

C Zack Collins*

DH Jose Abreu

RF Blake Rutherford*

SS Tim Anderson

I doubt Abreu goes anywhere; He wants to mentor the youth movement and is a great ambassador for the team. When his arbitration is up I think the sox lock him up for 3 more years with an option. Additionally 1B & DH have had their value become depressed recently, I also doubt Hahn would get a return to warrant trading him.

'19-'20 Rotation

SP Michael Kopech

SP Carlos Rodon*

SP Lucas Giolito

SP Jordan Guerrero*

SP Alec Hansen

This system is deep in pitching and its almost getting to the point where you can put their names in a hat and not feel bad with what you pull out; Lopez, Dunning, Cease, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens & Clarkin, and that isn't including the '17 draft class.

I've been blown away with how quickly Hahn was able to navigate the talent acquisition phase. The system is a great blend of high ceiling and moderate floor, specifically Collins, Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez, Skoug, Fisher, Call & Mendick and the dearth of pitching talent.

There are some solid major league growth assets in Rodon & Anderson even with down years and some of the younger players might develop into 2-2.5WAR regulars: Yolmer Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Adam Engel & Matt Davidson, that was something that was desperately missed with the recent roster constructions with Sale, Q & Eaton, stars & scrubs with out a sufficent amount of average major league players and depth. There are some interesting players near mlb ready in Delmonico, Liriano, Willy Garcia & the recently acquired Polo that might stick and turn into something as well.

Finally they still have one asset they can sell high and likely cash in for another top 100 prospect in Avi. They will be at the front of the line for wavier claims; like Alen Hansen. They will likely have a top 5 pick in '18 & '19 and complement that with the rule V and major league roster space to stash them. It would be wonderful if they hit the lotto and land the next Odubel Herrera or Joakim Soria. Lastly they will have a plenty of money for the upcoming stacked free agent classes that can supplement this roster going into their window, their adjusted payroll for 2019 is 5.6 million before any arbitration or free agent signings.

I agree, except for Avi. I'm not really sure why people want to get rid of him. I know people are afraid this year is a fluke abd trade him while his value is up, but what if he really has figured it out and he really is a run producer with a .300 plus average for the rest of his prime years? (Which he is just now entering).

I don't think trading Avi would be wise. You wont get much back for him, and if he continues to stay productive, you A likely won't get a player that will produce like him or fill a need, and B he will be one of the best hitters in that 2020 Sox lineup at, what, 29 or 30 years old? Again, this is IF he stays productive, but I think the risk with him way outweighs any risk you might have from any unproven prospect you might get for him. I say keep him.