08/08/2017 Games

KnightsOnMintSt

Just based on BUZZ I think we'll see some re evaluation of his hit tool based on his work this year. OFfseason may see it boosted. But Longenhagen had him pegged for .280 with 30 home runs. I think his 30 raw hit tool he's pegged with now seems low.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
I actually saw an article where a scout comped him to Miggy.

Everything I have seen suggests that Jimenez has the potential to be a 50/55 hit tool combined with 70 game power. I have yet to see a hit tool comp that would be anywhere near Miguel Cabrera's, who is a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer.

Is Jermaine Dye a fair comparison at this point?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Everything I have seen suggests that Jimenez has the potential to be a 50/55 hit tool combined with 70 game power. I have yet to see a hit tool comp that would be anywhere near Miguel Cabrera's, who is a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer.

Yes.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)

If I can get JD's 2006 form out of Jimenez, I will be very happy.

The power came later in the career of Cruz, as he didn't start really hitting home runs until age 28. I think Jimenez has the potential to be a 30+ home run threat in the next 2-3 season at the mlb level if he continues to improve like he has.

The scary thing is that I don't think he would embarrass himself if he were thrown into the MLB right now. As long as he stays healthy we are looking at a middle of the order bat.

For a competitive team needing to fill an OF spot he would've been rushed up to the majors and playing right now, just like the Red Sox did with Devers at 3rd.

There really isn't a flaw to his offensive game. Does not strike out much, walks a good amount, effortless power to all fields, puts the bat on the ball...the potential is unlimited.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
For a competitive team needing to fill an OF spot he would've been rushed up to the majors and playing right now, just like the Red Sox did with Devers at 3rd.

There really isn't a flaw to his offensive game. Does not strike out much, walks a good amount, effortless power to all fields, puts the bat on the ball...the potential is unlimited.

He's a solid year behind Dever's track so no.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Well yeah, because the Cubs didn't need him rushed to the majors and the Sox don't want him rushed to the majors. Devers played less than 90 games in AA and Pawtucket combined.

And Eloy Jimenez is still in high A. Rafael Devers is 1 month older than Eloy Jimenez. Jimenez is a full year behind Devers, which is OK.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm not sure Jimenez has a potential 70 hit tool. Power? Absolutely, but most scouts seem to think Jimenez will be an above average hitter in the 55/60 grade realm. 70 hit and 70 power = unreal

I could see Jimenez being a similar player to Giancarlo Stanton at ceiling, which is a very good player.

That's why I said potential, his hit tool has definitely improved since signing. If you look at his preseason scouting, some sites actually pegged him as 60 hit tool after hitting .330 last year. Someone posted on this forum after the trade that Jimenez has 70 hit tool potential (I did not bother checking the source), I don't think that's entirely unrealistic either.

And Eloy Jimenez is still in high A. Rafael Devers is 1 month older than Eloy Jimenez. Jimenez is a full year behind Devers, which is OK.

It is absolutely obvious to anyone paying any amount of attention that Eloy Jimenez probably doesn't belong in Winston-Salem anymore. Anyone want to disagree with me when I say Eloy Jimenez is ready for Birmingham?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
It is absolutely obvious to anyone paying any amount of attention that Eloy Jimenez probably doesn't belong in Winston-Salem anymore. Anyone want to disagree with me when I say Eloy Jimenez is ready for Birmingham?

He is. But at the same time you would be asking this kid to make two moves within about a months time. He'd have to move to Birmingham for about 3 weeks, only to move to Arizona for all of the fall activities which I am sure he is going to participate in. All for three weeks at AA for a team that isn't in the playoff hunt either. Why? Let Eloy and the rest of the High A kids move to Birmingham together to start 2018 as a unit, and not put any more on this kids plate after having just moved to Winston Salem a month ago anyway.

I would have no problem with Eloy going to AA to end the season, but I don't see it as totally necessary.

At this point, I would probably just let him gain confidence in High-A, then crush the AFL, then start 2018 in AA. And then I would have no problem with a quick promotion to Charlotte if he continues on this tear.

He is. But at the same time you would be asking this kid to make two moves within about a months time. He'd have to move to Birmingham for about 3 weeks, only to move to Arizona for all of the fall activities which I am sure he is going to participate in. All for three weeks at AA for a team that isn't in the playoff hunt either. Why? Let Eloy and the rest of the High A kids move to Birmingham together to start 2018 as a unit, and not put any more on this kids plate after having just moved to Winston Salem a month ago anyway.

My original point was that for a team in the playoff hunt that needed a corner outfielder Eloy would probably be an internal option as soon as this year. But the circumstances are obviously nothing like that in the White Sox org.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
My original point was that for a team in the playoff hunt that needed a corner outfielder Eloy would probably be an internal option as soon as this year. But the circumstances are obviously nothing like that in the White Sox org.

Not unless that option was to trade him for a current star. No team would call Eloy up from A ball to play in the majors today. None.

In this hypothetical world he's needed on a contender, I think he still would not be up for one reason: he was recovering from injury to start the year.

Had he started off healthy in high-A, I think he's in AA in June and could have been a Moncada/Benintendi/Devers-esque callup to a contender. But he is only now really heating up due to health.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
In this hypothetical world he's needed on a contender, I think he still would not be up for one reason: he was recovering from injury to start the year.

Had he started off healthy in high-A, I think he's in AA in June and could have been a Moncada/Benintendi/Devers-esque callup to a contender. But he is only now really heating up due to health.

I'm totally fine with keeping Jimenez in A+ ball for the next three weeks before possibly sending him to the AFL. He should be in AA to start 2018 as expected.

There is zero need to rush his development, even though he clearly could be promoted to AA. We have no use for him on a rebuilding 2018 roster, and another good season next year will put him on track for a mlb debut sometime in 2019.