Kline wishes Prior well

whitesoxfan99

ST. LOUIS -- The regular season may be over, but the war of words between the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals continues with St. Louis reliever Steve Kline saying he hopes Cubs right-hander Mark Prior "takes a line drive to the forehead and we never have to see him again."

The comments from Kline, a left-hander known for his soiled cap and sometimes outrageous comments, appeared Monday on KSDK-TV in St. Louis. It wasn't clear if he was joking. Calls to his home telephone went unanswered Tuesday.

Prior is scheduled to start Friday in Game 3 of the Cubs' first-round playoff series against the Atlanta Braves.

The Cardinals and Cubs have been rivals for more than a century, a rivalry that heated up this season as the teams and the Houston Astros battled for the NL Central title.

By mid-September, with the Cardinals on the verge of elimination, St. Louis right-hander Matt Morris said he wanted the Astros to win the division if the Cardinals couldn't.

"When we compete against them the games are intense but they don't have that 'I want to kill you, I hate you' attitude," Morris said.

Days later, with the Cardinals and Astros about to begin a three-game series, Prior told Sporting News Radio he couldn't root for the Cardinals, even against Houston.

"I hope actually that Houston beats their brains in and just sends them all the way back to whoever is in fourth place now," Prior said.

"Biggio and Bagwell are classy guys," Kline told KSDK, referring to Houston's Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. "They play hard every day. They don't have a guy popping off, saying how they want us to get our heads bashed in. I hope Prior takes a line drive to the forehead and we never see him again."

Can't read it, and don't care to register, guess I am lazy. Any chance of pasteing in the text?

You should register, many people put up links from that site.

It basically has a quote about Prior saying how he wanted the Astros to pound the Cardinals because he likes veterans like Bagwell and Biggio.

Steve Kline replied saying he'd like to see Prior get a line drive in the head so no one would hear from him again. It's not known if Kline was joking or not.

Heh, I always wondered if any of the players took the rivalries as serious as the fans! I guess some of them do, and that makes me feel a little bit better.

Nasty comments, but you know it was partially done tongue in cheek.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will have to register.