Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
The vast majority of gun deaths come from legally owned and obtained guns. YOU are the one skewing the information for your benefit.

Are there really that many gun thefts? Pretty sure almost every gun out there was legally purchased at one time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Guns in the hands of children is something we need more of.

If you live in the country, it's actually not a bad idea to teach your kids how to use guns. I'm not saying a 5 year old, but 10, 12, 14, yeah. I did as a kid. Assault rifles, no, but rifles, shotguns, even pistols, yes.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
If you live in the country, it's actually not a bad idea to teach your kids how to use guns. I'm not saying a 5 year old, but 10, 12, 14, yeah. I did as a kid. Assault rifles, no, but rifles, shotguns, even pistols, yes.

What is the benefit of a 10 year old shooting rifles and shotguns and pistols?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
What is the benefit of a 10 year old shooting rifles and shotguns and pistols?

In no particular order:

1) Safety/Protection. Rabid animals, predators like Coyotes and Wolves killing your families livelihood, etc. Not everyone lives 10 feet from each other in cities. They actually have to deal with nature. And yes, personal protection from other people.

2) Hunting. It's a good way to teach patience and calmness. Having a 10 year old in 2017 sit out in the middle of nature for 4 hours waiting for a 2 minute window of action would be highly beneficial IMO.

3) I think it's a great way to learn about safety and protocol and responsibility. Most people who are anti-guns have never touched a gun and are afraid of them. Putting them in your hands is an entirely different experience and learning at a young age their awesome power is a good thing.

4) Fun. It's fun as hell to shoot cans or other targets like a Tannerite pack (target with a small explosive that goes boom when you hit it from a distance).

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
Learn to handle it with respect and knowledge in a setting where guns are sometimes required.

Why would they be required?

And you still have a mind not fully developed that would have access and know how in using it. A lot more could go wrong than any benefit IMO.

If they aren't old enough to drink or smoke or drive, I don't see why they should be more than fine to shoot guns.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
In no particular order:

1) Safety/Protection. Rabid animals, predators like Coyotes and Wolves killing your families livelihood, etc. Not everyone lives 10 feet from each other in cities. They actually have to deal with nature. And yes, personal protection from other people.

2) Hunting. It's a good way to teach patience and calmness. Having a 10 year old in 2017 sit out in the middle of nature for 4 hours waiting for a 2 minute window of action would be highly beneficial IMO.

3) I think it's a great way to learn about safety and protocol and responsibility. Most people who are anti-guns have never touched a gun and are afraid of them. Putting them in your hands is an entirely different experience and learning at a young age their awesome power is a good thing.

4) Fun. It's fun as hell to shoot cans or other targets like a Tannerite pack (target with a small explosive that goes boom when you hit it from a distance).

How many people have been killed by coyotes and wolves in the US the last 10 years? California has one reported death by coyote. That was in 1981. And coyotes are coming into urban areas, so if you need them for coyotes and other personal protection, why shouldn't a city dwelling 10 year old have a cache of firearms?

And I know the responsibilty and respect, and patience and calmess argument, but they are 10 year olds. Their minds aren't fully developed. They make poor decisions.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
How many people have been killed by coyotes and wolves in the US the last 10 years? California has one reported death by coyote. That was in 1981

It's more about livestock protection for certain farmers/ranchers out there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
Why would they be required?

And you still have a mind not fully developed that would have access and know how in using it. A lot more could go wrong than any benefit IMO.

If they aren't old enough to drink or smoke or drive, I don't see why they should be more than fine to shoot guns.

? I grew up in a city, we had no need. I own one now for protection for my family. I assume out in the country its for many reasons, but I honestly dont know.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
The vast majority of gun deaths come from legally owned and obtained guns. YOU are the one skewing the information for your benefit.

I'm not skewing anything. i'm not drawing any conclusions. I'm only saying you need to take the data and results for it's face value and realize that you can't call these facts because they aren't. They are conclusions drawn from data which isn't necessarily representative of the entire population.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Are there really that many gun thefts? Pretty sure almost every gun out there was legally purchased at one time.

The issue isn't thefts as much as it is obtaining them through gun shows and similar circumstances where they aren't registered properly.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
I was hunting when I was 10 with both rifles and shotguns.

Good for you.

Why is it there is a bigger problem with people getting shot individually and massively more in the US than any other country, where there are more guns than anywhere else, when learning how to use a gun only teaches kids and adults alike responsibility? How are these other countries able to survive with a fraction of the guns, a minuscule defense budget, not enough nuclear bombs the blow the world up 10 times over....

One of my roommates in college had a rifle. He was a hunter and kept it in the closet. I was scared to death of that thing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
The issue isn't thefts as much as it is obtaining them through gun shows and similar circumstances where they aren't registered properly.

ptac (and I guess anyone else) - thoughts on requiring firearms to be titled like a vehicle? Seems to me that would make it easier to create a regulated secondary market for firearm sales. It would require a nationalized database, and there would be issues accounting for the many millions of firearms already in circulation, but I've never heard a particularly compelling argument against.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)

which is why that loophole needs to be closed yesterday.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
ptac (and I guess anyone else) - thoughts on requiring firearms to be titled like a vehicle? Seems to me that would make it easier to create a regulated secondary market for firearm sales. It would require a nationalized database, and there would be issues accounting for the many millions of firearms already in circulation, but I've never heard a particularly compelling argument against.

Personally, I'm all for things like this. While I'm an avid hunter and skeet shooter, the types of firearms and the control of them needs to be improved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Good for you.

Why is it there is a bigger problem with people getting shot individually and massively more in the US than any other country, where there are more guns than anywhere else, when learning how to use a gun only teaches kids and adults alike responsibility? How are these other countries able to survive with a fraction of the guns, a minuscule defense budget, not enough nuclear bombs the blow the world up 10 times over....

One of my roommates in college had a rifle. He was a hunter and kept it in the closet. I was scared to death of that thing.

If you are trained with them there is no reason to be scared to death of them. The obvious answer would be that everything would be better if there were no guns. However, that is not feasible in this country. I can honestly say that over 40 years of hunting since I was 10 no one I know has ever had an accident or been shot. Maybe if everybody was trained as a child we wouldn't have the issues of people becoming fascinated with them. It's way of live where I grew up and nobody had issues.

I really don't know the answer other than a good place to start is to somehow restrict high capacity magazines in some capacity. I know I would want to give up my shotguns and rifles for my hobbies, sports and protection against coyotes and such on the farm.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
If you are trained with them there is no reason to be scared to death of them. The obvious answer would be that everything would be better if there were no guns. However, that is not feasible in this country. I can honestly say that over 40 years of hunting since I was 10 no one I know has ever had an accident or been shot. Maybe if everybody was trained as a child we wouldn't have the issues of people becoming fascinated with them. It's way of live where I grew up and nobody had issues.

I really don't know the answer other than a good place to start is to somehow restrict high capacity magazines in some capacity. I know I would want to give up my shotguns and rifles for my hobbies, sports and protection against coyotes and such on the farm.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who were trained how to use guns at a very young age that still use them or used them very irresponsibly.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)

The real problem is that a small extreme views seem to drown out what the majority of America would agree on. Whenever ideas are brought up about gun regulation it always ends in "This is the first step to taking our guns away."

Growing up, I never touched a gun. My parents even kept toy guns away from me. I have no urge to carry one or want one.

Growing up, I was raised that all people are equal, no matter gender, skin color, religion, etc. I have no hate in my heart for anyone.

Not every case will be the same, I get that. But starting anything on kids when they're young, goes a long way.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
"It's the first step towards the government confiscating all firearms" is the number one gun advocate argument against it.

It falls under "if you give them an inch they'll take a mile" If you give the government a concession on automatic rifles will they take more late.

I see why people get crazy about it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
The real problem is that a small extreme views seem to drown out what the majority of America would agree on. Whenever ideas are brought up about gun regulation it always ends in "This is the first step to taking our guns away."

Absolutely.