Dan Hayes Leaving White Sox Beat

Boopa1219

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)
The owner of the Athletic wasn't kidding when he said they will suck the papers dry of the best talent.

The problems are obviously myriad for the traditional newspapers but IMO they hastened their own demise by cutting their talent rather than doubling down. The Athletic is actually paying for premium talent and attracts a readership because it's worth paying for.

SSS has been a wasteland since Jim left so the best Sox coverage will be here and at the Athletic this year. I'm not sure how much actual reporting Jim will be doing at Sox Machine. He mostly is just a "reaction" guy now. Only Future Sox and the Athletic consistently have access to and talk to Sox players and personnel.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)
The problems are obviously myriad for the traditional newspapers but IMO they hastened their own demise by cutting their talent rather than doubling down. The Athletic is actually paying for premium talent and attracts a readership because it's worth paying for.

SSS has been a wasteland since Jim left so the best Sox coverage will be here and at the Athletic this year. I'm not sure how much actual reporting Jim will be doing at Sox Machine. He mostly is just a "reaction" guy now. Only Future Sox and the Athletic consistently have access to and talk to Sox players and personnel.

I never thought of Jim as a "reporter." I've only really associated with "reaction" pieces.

I am a tribune subscriber for their news, as a kid I would run for the sports section. They basically have sullivan and kane (she moved I think) doing double duty for all games. They have the access for after game quotes, but are so stretched thin they will be completely out of any interesting analysis or team rumors. DVS at the sun times does a better job.

But it's like, yes, there is huge value to being in locker room and getting a feel for being there every day. But only if you can step back and put the pieces together. And that's the more interesting part.

With Hayes gone, the only guy really doing both is Fegan and Merkin does a pretty good job too from a certain view.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 01:44 PM)
Congrats????Moving from coverage of the White Sox to the Twins sounds like a step down to me.................................

Ha, and he's gone from i think denver to san diego to chicago to minnesota. Quite the weather downgrades.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:37 PM)
Ha, and he's gone from i think denver to san diego to chicago to minnesota. Quite the weather downgrades.

I would say San Diego is probably an upgrade in weather compared to Denver no? Unless you are just comparing those two to the other two

QUOTE (Scoots @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
I would say San Diego is probably an upgrade in weather compared to Denver no? Unless you are just comparing those two to the other two

I think Denver's weather is great so it's mostly the first two to the last two. And probably more scenery than weather.