Swole

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
Said it in the minor news and notes thread, but nice knowing our bigger prospects like Robert and Kopech are spending offseason busting their ass instead of showing up 30 lbs heavier.

(...can they call Burger up? jk jk)

Damn, I came her to comment on the same thing about Robert.

Then again, they are the most active users on social media as well. To be fair to Burger, I did see him recently post a video at the gym where he was calling out Nicky D for not being there.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Sorry if my post left the impression that I "hate" Sale. Not at all, but I do admire the dedicated athlete.

Regarding the advisability of pitchers doing strength training. While upper body work may be debatable, there isn't much question that a strong core and strong legs are a tremendous asset to a pitcher.

Most of you have probably seen this old article and video:

https://www.topvelocity.net/why-chris-sales...ten-his-career/

Agree but if they don't produce it doesn't matter. Whatever Chris Sale does or doesn't do offseason, it doesn't matter. The results are there. Hopefully the dedicated athletes get longer and healthier careers but injuries may have more to say than anything in that regard.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
No doubt. It remains to be seen how effective it will be.

It's a very good test case for sure. I haven't seen a starting pitcher hit the weights this hard and undertake such an unorthodox training program since Roger Clemens. I'm sure there are others but none that I am aware of or at least none that I have seen documented so openly. If he has half the career Clemens did, I'd be thrilled.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
It's a very good test case for sure. I haven't seen a starting pitcher hit the weights this hard and undertake such an unorthodox training program since Roger Clemens. I'm sure there are others but none that I am aware of or at least none that I have seen documented so openly. If he has half the career Clemens did, I'd be thrilled.

Agreed. But we also know the Clemens had PED help towards the end. Let's hope Kopech doesn't fall victim to that as well. Of course if it happens later in the career after he leaves the sox, so be it. :D

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't necessarily care about these kids being workout warriors to get an edge, but while they are navigating these age 19-22 years, I'd much rather them be a workout warrior than not taking their diet or offseason as seriously.

I always wish I could be this way after seeing some celebrities and athletes but then realize they have the time and money stay in that kind of shape.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't necessarily care about these kids being workout warriors to get an edge, but while they are navigating these age 19-22 years, I'd much rather them be a workout warrior than not taking their diet or offseason as seriously.

The is no doubt that the dedication is the key. However if they are doing the wrong things that will increase their chances of injury, they may as well be not taking it seriously.

As someone else said hopefully, they are listening to the Sox strength and conditioning staff.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
I always wish I could be this way after seeing some celebrities and athletes but then realize they have the time and money stay in that kind of shape.

It is their job to stay in that kind of shape, if they want to do it well. Hopefully, you take your job just as seriously.