Sox clear 40 man spot

Jose Abreu

What’s more likely?

Dickerson nets a valuable piece back (and major league ready, to boot?)...or Cordell/Tilson/Delmonico/Davidson/Leury Garcia/Engel are capable of putting up a 2.5+ war over an entire season?

Which has more value to the franchise?

Can Leury get you back more than Dickerson with three solid months?

I would play Yolmer at third and Leury in CF (Cordell/Tilson to AAA)...but Hahn will probably go Davidson/Engel. We have so many ?’s with so many players to answer! That’s not even considering Saladino.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 09:32 PM)
Why would Dickerson be worth considerably more in June or July than he is now? He is going to cost something to acquire. If the cost is next to nothing, why wouldn’t a team in need go after him now?

Because he is coming off of a bad second half. so not only would they have to give up something to get him, they would also have to roster him in hopes he rebounds instead of having whoever the first person off was and that opportunity cost might not be worth it. We can feasibly acquire him for cheap because he was DFA'd so the Rays lost a ton of leverage, and we can then trade him later if he does good so a team acquiring him isn't taking as much of a risk on his performance. This is almost a perfect buy low-sell high opportunity.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 10:07 PM)
Because he is coming off of a bad second half. so not only would they have to give up something to get him, they would also have to roster him in hopes he rebounds instead of having whoever the first person off was and that opportunity cost might not be worth it. We can feasibly acquire him for cheap because he was DFA'd so the Rays lost a ton of leverage, and we can then trade him later if he does good so a team acquiring him isn't taking as much of a risk on his performance. This is almost a perfect buy low-sell high opportunity.

Worked for Epstein!

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 08:07 PM)

Also injuries create openings that don't. exist now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 06:07 PM)
He’d be a potential flip candidate. The 600+ DH plate appearances are an asset and the Sox have to decide what is the best use of them.

Correct - and I believe Leury, Delmonico, and even Davidson, and others are better use for those 600+plate appearances. He crowds out a corner outfield spot, which would mean both are taken with Avi.

So we flip him - what are we going to get? A B prospect. We have a lot of B prospects, who need playing time. And let's not forget we'll probably have to TRADE a B prospect to get him, so the "flip" idea is somewhat tenuous.

L Garcia produced 1.1 WAR in 1/2 a season. Delmonico is 1 WAR in 1/4 of a season. IN both cases, the players played a position in which they had little experience and are highly likely to improve defensively (Leury had some experience in the OF; Delmonico had very little).

But the bottom line to me is that Dickerson is a bottom 3 hitter on a championship team. i.e. you use him to plug a hole, not as part of a foundation. And he's a bad defender, and the Sox don't need that. Way too early to plug holes with veterans.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
Correct - and I believe Leury, Delmonico, and even Davidson, and others are better use for those 600+plate appearances. He crowds out a corner outfield spot, which would mean both are taken with Avi.

So we flip him - what are we going to get? A B prospect. We have a lot of B prospects, who need playing time. And let's not forget we'll probably have to TRADE a B prospect to get him, so the "flip" idea is somewhat tenuous.

L Garcia produced 1.1 WAR in 1/2 a season. Delmonico is 1 WAR in 1/4 of a season. IN both cases, the players played a position in which they had little experience and are highly likely to improve defensively (Leury had some experience in the OF; Delmonico had very little).

But the bottom line to me is that Dickerson is a bottom 3 hitter on a championship team. i.e. you use him to plug a hole, not as part of a foundation. And he's a bad defender, and the Sox don't need that. Way too early to plug holes with veterans.

If we bring on Dickerson it’s to be a DH. I think the main person impacted by such a move would be Davidson and I don’t really care to give him another shot at the job. Delmonico & Leury could still be the primary LF & CF respectively.

And Dickerson’s wRC+ of 115 ranked 60th overall of eligible hitters last year. I find it hard to believe he’d a bottom three hitter on any team.

I think the question to whether we should sign/trade for Dickerson/ any other remaining FA is kind of ridiculous. If it makes the team better now, and into the future, you consider it. The reasoning's behind most people's stance seem to be to let the kids play. So instead of arguing the merit for or against Dickerson I'd like to discuss the guys we have and how people rank their prospects in the future with this team.

I'll run through each of the guys, and give my blurb of what I think they could be on a Championship caliber team.

Matt Davidson - Best case scenario is last year with a few more walks and a few less strikeouts. Even at that I don't see him as a key to the future.

Saladino - I think he was given the chance, is a bit older, and is a career UTIL for maybe 1-2 years before he's ulitimately in AAA or retires.

Leury Garcia - I think has a real chance to be a super UTIL on a Sox team contending for the playoffs. Would like to see him get playing time.

Yolmer - I've soured on him over time. I used to be huge proponent of his and oddly am not anymore even coming off a top year. I realize there is no real solution at 3B for this year and think he represents the best option both short and long term currently so would like to see him get the AB's. I don't think a Moustakas should be an option because of the draft picked tied to him.

Tilson - sucks to see an injury take him out of contention. Best upside? Maybe a 4OF?

Engel - quite frankly I'd rather have a full health Tilson over Engel. Unless he found a magic bat I don't care about his playing time. I'm content with him in AAA figuring out his swing. If something clicks then let him get another shot.

Cordell - I think he lumps in somewhere above Engel and maybe right below Tilson. Worth a shot, but if another option is available to make the team better, I wouldn't hold back on the account of Cordell/Tilson/Engel

Delmonico - I know he gets love from this board. I personally think that in the year 2020 he won't be on this team. I see this year maybe, next year as a UTIL and 2020 gone. I get he's still young. I get his OBP is decent. I dunno, I'm skeptical, but don't mind him getting playing time this year over other options.

So my rankings? Leury, Yolmer, Delmonico -- I'd be for letting them play and seeing what we have for another year.

Tilson, Engel, Cordell, Saladino, and Davidson I'd rather them prove something consistently in AAA and EARN playing time. Not just be given it because we're not contending.

Which leads me to Dickerson - I understand his faults, but you're talking a guy who went to an All-Star game, can/will hit 30HR this year, entering his prime, and is controllable. I'd let him play DH for us and take some time in LF.

Just cause we suck doesn't mean I should have to watch Engel and Cordell struggle against MLB pitchers. Let them do that in Charlotte and if they are producing bring them up to prove it and take time away from a Dickerson. We have to build a winning culture and you do that by signing the best available guys.