Keith Law Mock Draft 1.0

Y2Jimmy0

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

His 2016 and 2017 stats are rather pedestrian. 

India attended American Heritage high school in Plantation, Florida. He was drafted in the 26th round in 2015 by the Milwaukee Brewers but did not sign. The Gators put him into the lineup immediately; India hit .330/.367/.440 with 13 steals in 234 at-bats as a freshman, then tailed off to .274/.354/.429 with 13 steals in 212 at-bats as a sophomore. However, he was a solid performer with wooden bats in the Cape Cod League for two summers, hitting .290/.405/.403 in ‘16 and .273/.390/.394 in ‘17. source MLB Draft

Speaking of India (linked in draft thread as well)

No one in this Draft class has improved his stock more than Jonathan India. The Florida Gators infielder wasn't on our Draft Top 50 in December and now he stands at No. 10 overall. India was always a solid player, did the summer showcase circuit in high school and got drafted in the 26th round by the Brewers in 2015. But if anyone saw this coming, I'd like to take them to Vegas.

A three-year starter at Florida, India certainly was a competent college performer. He hit .303 and slugged .440 as a freshman, but then managed a .274/.354/.429 line as a sophomore. India's two summers in the Cape Cod League were good, but not extraordinary. So what happened?

The biggest thing has been an improvement in India's overall approach. His pitch selection has been so much better and that, in turn, has allowed him to tap into his raw power more consistently on good pitches to drive. India's .401/.546/.810 line matches up with just about anyone's, especially considering he's doing it in the ultra-competitive SEC. He has 14 homers and 10 steals and even with the big uptick in power, he has more walks than strikeouts.

Does this huge junior season put India in the top 10? That remains to be seen. He's certainly moved into the conversation. It's not a slam dunk, as I think some teams would prefer a little more track record of this kind of success. A few years ago, another SEC performer had a .701 OPS as a freshman and a 1.205 OPS as a Draft-eligible sophomore. That was Andrew Benintendi. How has that turned out? Now, I don't think India has Benintendi's tools, and it's not entirely clear what position he plays long-term, but it is hard to ignore what he's done. And if there's a team in the top 10 who thinks he has the chance to play shortstop (some do), then that team might very well take him.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Speaking of India (linked in draft thread as well)

No one in this Draft class has improved his stock more than Jonathan India. The Florida Gators infielder wasn't on our Draft Top 50 in December and now he stands at No. 10 overall. India was always a solid player, did the summer showcase circuit in high school and got drafted in the 26th round by the Brewers in 2015. But if anyone saw this coming, I'd like to take them to Vegas.

A three-year starter at Florida, India certainly was a competent college performer. He hit .303 and slugged .440 as a freshman, but then managed a .274/.354/.429 line as a sophomore. India's two summers in the Cape Cod League were good, but not extraordinary. So what happened?

The biggest thing has been an improvement in India's overall approach. His pitch selection has been so much better and that, in turn, has allowed him to tap into his raw power more consistently on good pitches to drive. India's .401/.546/.810 line matches up with just about anyone's, especially considering he's doing it in the ultra-competitive SEC. He has 14 homers and 10 steals and even with the big uptick in power, he has more walks than strikeouts.

Does this huge junior season put India in the top 10? That remains to be seen. He's certainly moved into the conversation. It's not a slam dunk, as I think some teams would prefer a little more track record of this kind of success. A few years ago, another SEC performer had a .701 OPS as a freshman and a 1.205 OPS as a Draft-eligible sophomore. That was Andrew Benintendi. How has that turned out? Now, I don't think India has Benintendi's tools, and it's not entirely clear what position he plays long-term, but it is hard to ignore what he's done. And if there's a team in the top 10 who thinks he has the chance to play shortstop (some do), then that team might very well take him.

Indeed.

I don't dislike India. In fact if the Sox were picking in the 10 to 15 range I'd probably be a huge advocate. I just would be hard-pressed to gamble with pick number 4 on him. I need more of a track record, especially after his previous two seasons. I reckon that's why he will be going mid first round at best.

Also, from BA's latest rankings where they have him #20 overall.

Jonathan India
COL 3B
Notes:
School: Florida
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 185 | B-T: R-R | Committed/Drafted: Brewers '15 (26)

Scouting Report: Scouts have admired the way India plays the game and his overall package of tools since he was a standout shortstop at American Heritage School in Delray Beach, Fla. India was ranked as the No. 82 player in the 2015 class, but after the Brewers drafted him in the 26th round he made his way to Gainesville. India was solid, but unspectacular, in his first two season with the Gators, missing some time with injury during his sophomore campaign in which he hit 274/.354/.429 with 23 strikeouts and 42 walks. He’s improved his draft stock substantially this spring, hitting .420/.551/.840 with 13 home runs and more walks (34) than strikeouts (30) through his first 40 games. He is among the nation’s top-10 hitters in each triple-slash category and scouts have been extremely happy to see his raw power translate more into games this year. His ultimate role will depend on his defensive position. He played a decent amount of innings at shortstop early this year, but most of his time with Florida has been at third base, where he has solid hands and an average arm. He’s likely a third baseman or a second baseman at the next level, with the flexibility to move to shortstop in a pinch or for a team that doesn’t prioritize shortstop defense. If third base is the destination, he has more than enough bat to profile there, especially if this year’s power display is here to stay.

Don't remember if last week's BA mock was behind a paywall or not, but they had India 12th to the Jays.

Jonathan India
Florida 3B
Notes:
When the season began, it would have seemed silly to project Florida third baseman Jonathan India among the top 15 picks in the draft. However, with just over a month until the draft, India has been among the best hitters in the SEC and has also given scouts a few games at shortstop—though he’s unlikely to play the position as a pro.

Scouts have long liked the infielder’s overall toolset and baseball IQ, and he’s one of the few college bats who have stepped up in a class lacking them at the top.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Don't remember if last week's BA mock was behind a paywall or not, but they had India 12th to the Jays.

For me, if Singer falls to 4, you take him. I do feel that India compares favorably to Bohm but would prefer a polished college arm here although I can warm up to Rocker if Mize and Singer are gone. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

For me, if Singer falls to 4, you take him. I do feel that India compares favorably to Bohm but would prefer a polished college arm here although I can warm up to Rocker if Mize and Singer are gone. 

Pretty favorable that Rocker and Singer will be available at 4. Current consensus seems to have them mid first rounders.

47 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Pretty favorable that Rocker and Singer will be available at 4. Current consensus seems to have them mid first rounders.

Law has Singer going #2 to the Giants in his latest mock. No way he falls out of top 5-6. That said, Rocker is just 18, 6'5"/250 and effortlessly sits in mid-90s with a plus slider. Would love to watch him progress through the system. The guy is a specimen.

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Law has Singer going #2 to the Giants in his latest mock. No way he falls out of top 5-6. That said, Rocker is just 18, 6'5"/250 and effortlessly sits in mid-90s with a plus slider. Would love to watch him progress through the system. The guy is a specimen.

He was bad today in front of a ton of scouts. Also, I still will believe the Sox take a high school pitcher when I see it.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:15 PM, caulfield12 said:

Flowers and Phegley come to mind right off the bat...although Tyler's had a longer career than most of would have imagined 5 or 6 years ago.

But Hostetler was a Braves scout and covered that region of the country...so if he's SURE Bart is the best choice, but I would take Madrigal and figure his position out later.  You can make him a part-time DH and play him all over the field like Zobrist/Baez/Happ if you absolutely have to in order to get his bat in the line-up SOMEWHERE.  Even if that means LF. 

The Ozzeroo was on NBCSC the other day, and he thinks Anderson winds up in LF.

Passing on Madrigal would be stupid.  And I don't want them touching Bohm with a 10ft pole with his defensive issues.  I much prefer India to Bohm and it's not close given India's ability to potentially fit in at a few positions.  

I like Singer if Mize isn't available and would not be at all upset if we went that route.  He's a psycho - which I love in a pitcher, so that's just a plus there.  And he's got some of the filthiest stuff I've seen, even if he isn't lighting up the radar guns.  

If they go with a high school arm, I'd lean towards Stewart.  Also love Hankins, who reminds me of Singer with more velo