CWS Games of Drafted Prospects

GenericUserName

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Do we have reading from anyone at the game because a lot, if not most, of the other guys pitching were throwing harder than the tv radar guns said. I know Logan Gilbert has like 3 mph slower on tv than people at the game had him. 

Good point 

22 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

He never does strike out

But that at bat was a perfect example of the concern I had about him prior to draft. He was ahead in the count and got a fastball down the plate and he hit a weak chopper on the infield. Did the same yesterday. You would like to see more line drives in those situations. I'm a huge fan of leg kicks, but I wonder if they try to fix his form a bit. I will say I love how he takes offspeed pitches and barely flinches at them.

6 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Do we have reading from anyone at the game because a lot, if not most, of the other guys pitching were throwing harder than the tv radar guns said. I know Logan Gilbert has like 3 mph slower on tv than people at the game had him. 

In the first 2 innings I saw a range of 88 to 93.

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think our guy Davis Martin should be pitching tomorrow's final Super Regional game for Texas Tech tomorrow at 3pm vs. Duke.  So far Madrigal and Pilkington have advanced to Omaha. 

I’ve never paid attention to the college World Series to see how the recently drafted Sox players are doing. Is there anything to watch out for that would indicate future success as a “pro” by the outcome of this tournament? 

2 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

I’ve never paid attention to the college World Series to see how the recently drafted Sox players are doing. Is there anything to watch out for that would indicate future success as a “pro” by the outcome of this tournament? 

Eh, not really. I guess you could see how they handle big pressure games, but I like to just get a preview of what our players will look like while we actually have good broadcasts and cameras, things you don't really get in the minors.

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Didn't have a chance to watch, but upon checking the boxscore, he only went 3 innings, anyone have insight?

He was at 64 pitches and just gave up a double, so they pulled him. It's an elimination game so they basically were planning on pulling him at the first sign of trouble and bullpenning it from there. The reliever promptly gave up a hit which scored the runner, so maybe not the best strategy. 

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

He was at 64 pitches and just gave up a double, so they pulled him. It's an elimination game so they basically were planning on pulling him at the first sign of trouble and bullpenning it from there. The reliever promptly gave up a hit which scored the runner, so maybe not the best strategy. 

Thank you sir!

(Copied from OP update)

UPDATE FOR CWS

Oregon State (Nick Madrigal) vs. UNC -- June 16th @ 2PM on ESPN

Mississippi State (Konnor Pilkington) vs. Washington -- June 16th @ 7PM on ESPN

Both will play again on June 18th on ESPN, either @ 1PM (w/game 1 loss) or 6PM (w/game 1 win)

Pilkington is scheduled to pitch MSU's second game.

Texas Tech (Davis Martin) vs. Florida -- June 7th @ 6PM on ESPN2

Texas Tech's second game will be on June 19th on ESPN, either @ 1PM (w/game 1 loss) or 6PM (w/game 1 win) 

I couldn't find which game Martin is scheduled to pitch in, so if anyone else does, please let me know. 

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

So far, probably one of Madrigal's worst games. 4 at bats, very weak contact. It seems he jams himself an awful lot.

With how bad and just out of sorts most of the team has been (besides Larnach) I really wouldn't be surprised if it comes out they were all hit by a bug or something. Just about every guy looks off his game and the announcers seem sincerely shocked by it. 

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Shrug.  Just one game. Always with the negative hyperbole.

It was the same stuff I was saying prior to the draft as well, especially that last series he had during the regular season. Lots of weak choppers on the infield.  I doubt he had many 0-4 this season though.

Edited by fathom