Sox @ Mariners 9:10 PM

Jose Abreu

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I really want Avi to be part of the future but I just don't know if he will be

He is just going to be so tough for us, Hahn and the FO, etc to figure out. Sox have an abundance of young OFs coming and we still don't know what he is.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

You mean Engel

Well, I'd love us to take a flier on a guy that needs a prove-it one year deal or something, but yeah, probably Engel.

I don't mind Nicky on this roster purely as a backup LF/RF/1B/3B.

Just now, Heads22 said:

Well, I'd love us to take a flier on a guy that needs a prove-it one year deal or something, but yeah, probably Engel.

Even if it's not a cool stopgap guy, if Adam Engel is our starting center fielder in 2019, I swear to god I'm not watching or attending a single game. 

Just now, fathom said:

More awful defense. He's just not a 3rd baseman and Abreu wasn't even close.

He literally made a terrific play before that to end the inning prior. Sanchez is a good soldier and the best defensive one we have. I agree he's not one full time, but his defense is great. It wasn't a good throw, but a good defensive 1B makes that play (although it was a tough hop).

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

He can't hit this year but always thought Kiermaier would be a great fit due to his ability to play CF, hit lefty and controllable years.

Just now, SoxAce said:

He literally made a terrific play before that to end the inning prior. Sanchez is a good soldier and the best defensive one we have. I agree he's not one full time, but his defense is great. It wasn't a good throw, but a good defensive 1B makes that play (although it was a tough hop).

It's more he's so good at 2nd but you can tell whenever he has to rush, he really struggles due to inexperience.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Even if it's not a cool stopgap guy, if Adam Engel is our starting center fielder in 2019, I swear to god I'm not watching or attending a single game. 

Per MLBTR, these are the FA CF after the year. Take your pick 😛

Center Fielders

Gregor Blanco (35)
Rajai Davis (38)
Craig Gentry (35)
Carlos Gomez (33)
Jon Jay (33)
Adam Jones (33)
Leonys Martin (31)
Cameron Maybin (32)
Andrew McCutchen (32)
A.J. Pollock (31)
Denard Span (35)

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He can't hit this year but always thought Kiermaier would be a great fit due to his ability to play CF, hit lefty and controllable years.

Kiermaier is what the FO wanted Engel to become, pretty much 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

In terms of scoop, that's one where Abreu has to adjust his feet and make it a long hop behind the bag. Tough play but one you see Bellinger or Rizzo make.

Just now, Heads22 said:

Center Fielders

Gregor Blanco (35)
Rajai Davis (38)
Craig Gentry (35)
Carlos Gomez (33)
Jon Jay (33)
Adam Jones (33)
Leonys Martin (31)
Cameron Maybin (32)
Andrew McCutchen (32)
A.J. Pollock (31)
Denard Span (35)

Pollock is 31?  I would have guessed 28. Must be all the missed time with injury.  

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

Center Fielders

Gregor Blanco (35)
Rajai Davis (38)
Craig Gentry (35)
Carlos Gomez (33)
Jon Jay (33)
Adam Jones (33)
Leonys Martin (31)
Cameron Maybin (32)
Andrew McCutchen (32)
 A.J. Pollock (31)
Denard Span (35)

Haha, over Engel? Give me Leury or Cordell, or pretty much any of those guys as 1 year stopgaps  

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

In terms of scoop, that's one where Abreu has to adjust his feet and make it a long hop behind the bag. Tough play but one you see Bellinger or Rizzo make.

Agreed, although that ball was on the right glove side which both of those guys are right handed catching 1B. Not the best example there, but I get it.

Edited by SoxAce