Cracks in trust the process

wrathofhahn

59 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

The whole point of this rebuild is to be a playoff team.  Every playoff team uses free agency to supplement the farm system and  trades.  Yes the big contract can turn out to be a bust but so can trading away valuable prospects for players and so can draft picks. 

So if the team needs one player, would you rather they have one route to potentially acquire that player, or three?

9 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Third best farm system in the sport but "the rebuild isn't going well"

Are people seriously reading these posts and saying I'm baiting? 

I'm not saying the process isn't good, just that many prospects were either injured or have not progressed.

Hahn did everything right, now the prospects need to step up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

So if the team needs one player, would you rather they have one route to potentially acquire that player, or three?

I posted  " Every playoff team uses free agency to supplement the farm system and  trades".  That is 3 ways. Saying we should not use free agency because of the fear of bad contracts limits you. 

22 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I posted  " Every playoff team uses free agency to supplement the farm system and  trades".  That is 3 ways. Saying we should not use free agency because of the fear of bad contracts limits you. 

That's not what I said. Your argument was the part in quotation marks. That suggests that free agency is required to build a competitive team. All I was pointing out is that there are scenarios where you have a competitive team without a free agent acquisition working out.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

That's not what I said. Your argument was the part in quotation marks. That suggests that free agency is required to build a competitive team. All I was pointing out is that there are scenarios where you have a competitive team without a free agent acquisition working out.

Example/s?

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Example/s?

If Josh Reddick hadn't worked out for the Astros, they have Kyle Tucker who might be able to come up and provide competent play, or they have more than enough on their farm to trade for a competent corner OF, especially if they're willing to eat some money, which having all that young, cost controlled talent allows them to do.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gurriel (intl signing), Aoki, Beltran, Gregerson?

Aoki and Beltran really weren't that important to the Astros world series run, Beltran was good for "leadership" but he didn't really produce at DH for them. Gregerson had an ERA of 4.57 last year on their way to the Series. The Free Agents who did make a difference for them were Reddick and Charlie Morton, and once again there's a lesson here. They signed several guys, and at least 1 of them simply wasn't worth his money - that was Beltran. The other guys contributed and helped them win that title, but...take those guys away and the Astros are still the best team in last year's AL West. They started with a strong team that they developed, and their signings filled in a few gaps around it. Frankly, they did better than most teams in free agency, they're not stuck with a Jayson Heyward or a Pablo Sandoval deal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Aoki and Beltran really weren't that important to the Astros world series run, Beltran was good for "leadership" but he didn't really produce at DH for them. Gregerson had an ERA of 4.57 last year on their way to the Series. The Free Agents who did make a difference for them were Reddick and Charlie Morton, and once again there's a lesson here. They signed several guys, and at least 1 of them simply wasn't worth his money - that was Beltran. The other guys contributed and helped them win that title, but...take those guys away and the Astros are still the best team in last year's AL West. They started with a strong team that they developed, and their signings filled in a few gaps around it. Frankly, they did better than most teams in free agency, they're not stuck with a Jayson Heyward or a Pablo Sandoval deal.

Yeah, forgot the Phillies kind of gave up on him after an injury-plagued year.

Im also pretty sure Pirates’ fans would love to have Cole and Morton back...then they could actually be contending for the playoffs.