Sox @ Jays 5/12 12:07CT Happy Mothers Day!

justBLAZE

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Current version of Yoan doesn’t have the hit tool to be a .300 hitter. If he hits in the .265 range with extra base hit capabilities, walks and steals, then he will be a good player.

I don't at all think he will hit .300, but if he can increase slightly on last year's power numbers (which it looks like he already has), and keep the Ks around 25%, he will be a good player. Not a superstar, but good.

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Define hot streak. His OPS is below 700 for the month of May. 

The month of May has been like 10 games, so if we're pretending that such small samples matter, then he had reached base 5 times in 10 plate appearances entering today. Hot streak! 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Again, I have no clue how one bad game = major funk. He was on a hot streak entering today for crying out loud 

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but that's just not true.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I don't at all think he will hit .300, but if he can increase slightly on last year's power numbers (which it looks like he already has), and keep the Ks around 25%, he will be a good player. Not a superstar, but good.

If his K-rate is 25% and his home run output/BABIP remain near his career levels, then he will hit pretty close to .300 

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Sox kinda need him to be a superstar though. Kid was the former #1 prospect in baseball. He needs to live up to the hype. 

The Sox are going to need a couple 5 plus WAR players if they ever expect to make any serious noise. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The month of May has been like 10 games, so if we're pretending that such small samples matter, then he had reached base 5 times in 10 plate appearances entering today. Hot streak! 

Awesome. Sounds like he is a lock to win AL player of the week then. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Mathematically, it is.

Mathematically, it's not.

Player A is Moncada's Sox career thus far. Player B is Moncada's Sox career thus far, adjusted to a 25% k-rate with enough singles added in to have his standard .340 BABIP.

He hits .268.

Capture.PNG

Moncada's early season adjustments are being  used against him right now. If he was using Last year's approach he's be on a hot streak. It's obvious. They're pitching him just off the edges of the zone/ and throwing changeups for strikes early in the count. and he's swinging at pitches he wouldn't have last year. He has to only be aggressive on meatballs right now and go back to last year's approach. If he can change his approach based once they identify how people are trying to get him out at a given time period, he's going to explode. This isn't his job, it is the Sox advance scouts job to feed him the info. They've been doing it for weeks. This is what I'm talking about when I say that they're not giving their hitters the tools they need to be successful. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Sox kinda need him to be a superstar though. Kid was the former #1 prospect in baseball. He needs to live up to the hype. 

The Sox are going to need a couple 5 plus WAR players if they ever expect to make any serious noise. 

Anderson and McCann, done 😉

Just now, The Sir said:

Mathematically, it's not.

Player A is Moncada's Sox career thus far. Player B is Moncada's Sox career thus far, adjusted to a 25% k-rate with enough singles added in to have his standard .340 BABIP.

He hits .268.

Capture.PNG

This is incorrect because you're using his entire Sox career, meaning you're not accounting for an increase in home run rate, and you also lowered his BABIP by 5 points. 

Using his career .345 BABIP, take a 25% K-rate and the average goes to .25875. Using his home run rate of .0305, which is probably a little low relative to where it will be for the rest of his career, over a 704 PA sample, the average goes to .280.

Edited by Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is incorrect because you're using his entire Sox career, meaning you're not accounting for an increase in home run rate, and you also lowered his BABIP by 5 points. 

Yeah, my calculator isn't perfect because I disregard SFs/SHs/HBPs, but even adjusting his BABIP to .344, his BA in scenario B only climbs to .271. And increased homerun rate will increase his OPS, but have no effect on BA. You were wrong. It's ok.

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Ha. Would be pretty damn crazy if McCann puts up 5 WAR this year and Eloy ends up a negative WAR player. Bizarro world Jerry, Bizzaro world. 

Eloy's never going to be a high-WAR player because of his defense, or lack thereof.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Sir said:

Yeah, my calculator isn't perfect because I disregard SFs/SHs/HBPs, but even adjusting his BABIP to .344, his BA in scenario B only climbs to .271. And increased homerun rate will increase his OPS, but have no effect on BA. You were wrong. It's ok.

A home run is not a ball in play, therefore it does affect his BA. 

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Ha. Would be pretty damn crazy if McCann puts up 5 WAR this year and Eloy ends up a negative WAR player. Bizarro world Jerry, Bizzaro world. 

Or if Giolito put up 4 WAR season after a negative WAR season last year and negative for his career pre-2019

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

He wasn't just wrong. He pretty much got straight up pwned lol.