Sunday Game Thread

Do people who complain about bunting realize that a bunt for a hit and a sacrifice are two different plays with two different signs from the third base coach? Or that sometimes players choose to bunt for a hit on their own?

Obviously we don’t know what was called in that last inning (I’m guessing Cordell did it on his own and Leury got a bunt for a hit sign), and I’m not arguing for or against it, but it seems like some people here don’t understand the full concept of bunting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do people who complain about bunting realize that a bunt for a hit and a sacrifice are two different plays with two different signs from the third base coach? Or that sometimes players choose to bunt for a hit on their own?

Obviously we don’t know what was called in that last inning (I’m guessing Cordell did it on his own and Leury got a bunt for a hit sign), and I’m not arguing for or against it, but it seems like some people here don’t understand the full concept of bunting. 

Yes, but I only advocate bunting if a player is fast and is being shifted. 

Bunting of any kind is likely to result in an out. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, both were bunting for hits. They were not giving up the out. That's not disputable. When you're sacrificing, you square up early, don't care if the D knows you're bunting and see the ball down on the ground. Cordell and Garcia squared late while positioning themselves for a sprint to the bag. 

Cordell almost assuredly was on his own. I'm guessing Leury may have been too, but perhaps in that case Ricky liked the idea again. Regardless, we were not "giving up" an out. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I do know that the first bunt was nice.  However, the second bunt led to an out and Moncada getting pitched around because 1B was open.  Then, Abreu GIDP’ed which ended the inning without scoring any runs.

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Based on what? 

His BABIP throughout the first half isn't sustainable. He's been undeniably great and I am by no means insinuating that he won't continue to turn out very good production. However, he was never going to hit .325-.330 with a .900+ OPS for the entire season. His average has dropped from .330 to .315 over his past 10 games. He only has 2 XBH during that time. He's 2 for 8 in this series. 

A little bit of a regression was inevitable and I believe we're viewing it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

This is how it always happens with Lopez. Lose ONE hitter like he just did... and then the floodgates seem to open up. Let's see if he's for real today. 

It's happening again...

It's so predictable. So f'ing predictable.