Are Dunning and/or Cease Slotted into the 2021 Starting Rotation?

ron883

Are Dunning and/or Cease Slotted into the 2021 Starting Rotation?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are Dunning and/or Cease Slotted into the 2021 Starting Rotation?

• Dunning and Cease both are
    • Dunning is
    • Cease is
    • Neither are

4 hours ago, knightni said:

Cease averaged 4 innings a start in A ball and parts of other levels.

They had no issues with making him a starter.

I didn't say he wouldn't be a starter? I said he wouldn't be stretched out enough to go 180 innings in the regular season then give us 3 starts in the playoffs. 

13 hours ago, username said:

Absolutely baffled by the responses here.

ERA aside, Dunning showed significantly more than Cease has at any point in the majors, despite coming off of TJ.  His peripherals were light years better - we don't want to accept it, but Cease was painfully lucky and one of the worst pitchers in baseball per his xFIP and other predictive measures, and he didn't strike anyone out!

I think there's a very real possibility Cease isn't a long-term starter.  Dunning, on the other hand, I feel pretty confident as a middle of the rotation starter moving forward.  

I hope I'm wrong about Dylan but this year was way way worse than his ERA indicated.  He's young, but the command was really, really bad.

Dunning definitely had been better and I think he will be a solid 5 starter long term but cease has definitely more upside. 

Don't forget that giolito also had terrible command and not that great of a K rate either but when he made that mechanics change his k-bb rate did come around. 

Cease has that upside too albeit of course he very well could also never make it and become a reliever. But his upside is higher than dunning. 

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Dunning definitely had been better and I think he will be a solid 5 starter long term but cease has definitely more upside. 

Don't forget that giolito also had terrible command and not that great of a K rate either but when he made that mechanics change his k-bb rate did come around. 

Cease has that upside too albeit of course he very well could also never make it and become a reliever. But his upside is higher than dunning. 

If I had to guess, i think Dunning opens next season as the #4 or #5 starter, depending on what we do in free agency.  I really doubt Cease is in the pen as has been mentioned before.  I think he either breaks camps in the rotation, or he opens at AAA as a starter (assuming we have a MiLB season.  I don't think the bullpen gives Cease the reps that he needs to figure his stuff out, and would be counterproductive at this stage. 

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see how a team lacking starting pitching depth is trading a young, cost-controlled starter for more offense.  I really don’t think we trade Dunning or Cease unless it’s for an established TOR starter.

Again - it only makes sense IF they go out and sign two legitimate SP this offseason - like Stroman and Quintana.  

Big if.