2021 Soccer Thread

Heads22

28 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Canada is 9 points clear of 5th place Costa Rica with 4 matches to go. If they beat El Slavador Wednesday and Costa Rica loses or draws against Jamaica, OR if Canada ties and Costa Rica loses, Canada clinches at least 4th place, which is a playoff with what is certain to be New Zealand.

So yeah, they're gonna get in.

We should at least be able to qualify for that 4th spot. We're 5 points clear of Costa Rica right now with 4 left to play. If we somehow choke this one like we did in 2018, I'm gonna be so pissed. 

40 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We should at least be able to qualify for that 4th spot. We're 5 points clear of Costa Rica right now with 4 left to play. If we somehow choke this one like we did in 2018, I'm gonna be so pissed. 

If they end up in the 4 seed…they will probably choke in the play in game. 

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they end up in the 4 seed…they will probably choke in the play in game. 

Against an Oceania team? I still like our chances. 

Of course I think we can still get 3rd. We just need to take care of business at home against Panama and Honduras and at least get a point in the 2 road games. 

Edited by chw42

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Against an Oceania team? I still like our chances. 

Of course I think we can still get 3rd. We just need to take care of business at home against Panama and Honduras and at least get a point in the 2 road games. 

Do you not remember what this team did in last qualifier in what was essentially a play-in game? 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Do you not remember what this team did in last qualifier in what was essentially a play-in game? 

I know, but at least this play in game won't be played at some shitty stadium with terrible turf. This team just sucks when they play on shit turf.

8 hours ago, chw42 said:

Looks like Canada is starting to eclipse us in soccer. Pretty sad. 

They're playing really well right now and will probably qualify easily for the WC. 

Eh, the USA has way more talent than Canada and is producing a ton of guys getting signed by teams in Europe’s top leagues right now.  

7 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Eh, the USA has way more talent than Canada and is producing a ton of guys getting signed by teams in Europe’s top leagues right now.  

Yeah but they don't play well as a team despite the talent, especially when they're not playing in the US. Canada may not be as talented but they're really coming out of nowhere. They didn't even make it to the hex 4 years ago. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Yeah but they don't play well as a team despite the talent, especially when they're not playing in the US. Canada may not be as talented but they're really coming out of nowhere. They didn't even make it to the hex 4 years ago. 

That’s different than being surpassed though and I think the US federation hiring a shitty manager based solely on nepotism is contributing to the mediocre results despite there being the most talent the US has ever had.

32 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The US head coach as he gets the easy win but that is about it.  I cannot believe that the fans enjoyed it.

Two Honduran players were treated for hypothermia. 

Just a really bad idea. 

Did they really need to freeze out Honduras, the last place team in the group, for a competitive advantage? I could see maybe playing Mexico there, but even then I don't think it's a good idea.