5/6 Games

DirtySox

https://www.milb.com/scores/chicago-white-sox/2022-05-06

We have some potentially ugly weather in the North Carolina region, so some of these games could be questionable.

Davis Martin making his first Knights start after having a very solid start to the season in Birmingham. Let's hope he can keep it up and be a possible Keuchel alternative.

• Like 1

Fangraphs on Davis Martin if you missed the prospect list.

22. Davis Martin, SP
Drafted: 18th Round, 2018 from Texas Tech (CHW)
Age    25.3    Height    6′ 2″    Weight    200    Bat / Thr    R / R    FV    35+
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball    Slider    Curveball    Changeup    Command    Sits/Tops
55/55    40/45    50/50    30/30    40/45    92-95 / 97
Martin had two consecutive seasons of strong peripherals (a roughly 25% K% and 7% BB% combined in 2019 and ’21) while he also ran an ERA over 5.00. He’s sitting 93-94 mph and touching 97 as a starter, his fastball has carry at the letters, and he has two fair breaking balls that play pretty well off his fastball. His feel for location is not as good as his raw walk totals might make you think, but the shape of his fastball gives him margin for error in the strike zone. He’s tracking like a spot starter.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/chicago-white-sox-top-28-prospects-2022/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Martin a bit all over the place in the 1st. He's shown the curve, changeup and obviously the fastball. Gave up a hit and walked a guy but out of it unscathed.

For those wondering, his fastball readings (according to the gun) have been all of 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, and 96. But not in that order. 

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Kelley can't find the zone. Walks a guy. Then finally finds the zone and gives up a HR. :(

With all due respect to him and Dalquist, they need to prove to me I should care about following them closely again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

With all due respect to him and Dalquist, they need to prove to me I should care about following them closely again.

I'm a hopeful guy, so I keep tuning in. But they sure do suck the life out of me sometimes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Patience my dudes,  Patience.

Harold I thought you weren't high on Kelley cuz he physically peaked in high school? 

I do agree about Dalquist being fine in the long run though with patience.

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Harold I thought you weren't high on Kelley cuz he physically peaked in high school? 

I do agree about Dalquist being fine in the long run though with patience.

I wasn't which is why I was happy they used a 2nd on him instead of a 1st but you still have to give all these guys time.  The low minors are developmental leagues.  You don't know what they're working on that night so it's not fair to just look at the stat line.   Let them develop and figure things out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1