7/9 Games

BamaDoc

• bmags pinned this topic
33 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Combination of poor scouting & player dev, I think

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man hostetler was such a disaster

I don’t think this is fair. He drafted quite a few big leaguers. The drafts just lacked upside because they were so college heavy. Nick Hostetler isn’t averse to high school talent. The organization wanted to prioritize quick moving college players and Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t like paying prep players $7 million. Hostetler brought the scouting department out if the stone ages, hired scouts, modernized the operation and started utilizing the available data finally. I’m glad it’s Mike Shirley’s show now but lots of hands in the cookie jar in this organization. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think this is fair. He drafted quite a few big leaguers. The drafts just lacked upside because they were so college heavy. Nick Hostetler isn’t averse to high school talent. The organization wanted to prioritize quick moving college players and Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t like paying prep players $7 million. Hostetler brought the scouting department out if the stone ages, hired scouts, modernized the operation and started utilizing the available data finally. I’m glad it’s Mike Shirley’s show now but lots of hands in the cookie jar in this organization. 

Drafting big leaguers is definitely an improvement from where the Sox were at before he tookover, I'll give you that much. But I'm not sure how much credit to give him when it's looking like the only core member of the organization from his years of drafts is Andrew Vaughn. Luis Gonzalez would be great to have on the team right now, but like you've said, would he be producing like this if he were on the Sox? But I'll still give Hostler a win for that pick. Madrigal I think gets underrated, but you & many others were on board with trading him, and even though I like Madrigal more than most it's obvious he shouldn't have been the 4th pick in the draft. I'm not seeing anyone who was drafted outside of the 1st round, aside from Alec Hansen, who ever made a top 100 list.

I think Vaughn, Madrigal, Luis Gonzalez, & Burger are the only guys from his drafts likely to surpass ~7.5 career WAR.  Putting Burger on there is probably generous, but I'm a big believer in his bat. There's definitely a chance one of Davis Martin or Pilkington sticks as a back end starter, which would have his drafts looking quite a bit better. But even if that happens, is there enough impact there from 5 years worth of drafts? Particularly when 2 of them came during tank years? My natural inclination is to say no, but I wouldn't go as far to say the drafts were a disaster as Bmags did.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Drafting big leaguers is definitely an improvement from where the Sox were at before he tookover, I'll give you that much. But I'm not sure how much credit to give him when it's looking like the only core member of the organization from his years of drafts is Andrew Vaughn. Luis Gonzalez would be great to have on the team right now, but like you've said, would he be producing like this if he were on the Sox? But I'll still give Hostler a win for that pick. Madrigal I think gets underrated, but you & many others were on board with trading him, and even though I like Madrigal more than most it's obvious he shouldn't have been the 4th pick in the draft. I'm not seeing anyone who was drafted outside of the 1st round, aside from Alec Hansen, who ever made a top 100 list.

I think Vaughn, Madrigal, Luis Gonzalez, & Burger are the only guys from his drafts likely to surpass ~7.5 career WAR.  Putting Burger on there is probably generous, but I'm a big believer in his bat. There's definitely a chance one of Davis Martin or Pilkington sticks as a back end starter, which would have his drafts looking quite a bit better. But even if that happens, is there enough impact there from 5 years worth of drafts? Particularly when 2 of them came during tank years? My natural inclination is to say no, but I wouldn't go as far to say the drafts were a disaster as Bmags did.

He was the director for 4 drafts. Gavin Sheets might already be the best 2nd rounder in club history. I hated the strategy though but it’s not all on him. The Nick Madrigal pick didn’t help. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He was the director for 4 drafts. Gavin Sheets might already be the best 2nd rounder in club history. I hated the strategy though but it’s not all on him. The Nick Madrigal pick didn’t help. 

Sheets is exactly replacement level for his career. There is some value in just drafting big leaguers, but I'm not sure how much. Probably more for the Sox than other orgs though because they refuse to churn through the waiver wire.

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The 2016 draft was an unbelievable disaster. One of the most decorated drafts of the decade, where the Sox had an extra million to spend, and it was a gigantic whiff. 

Im tired of comparing the Sox against themselves to show competence. He modernized scouting? That’s the job to make sure your dept is competitive. But modernizing should lead to good drafts.

Laumann - consistently in worse draft positions and in a terrible JR bind until the hard draft budget CBA - drafted the second best player in 2013 draft, Semien in 2011 in the sixth, and Sale in 2010.

In his high draft position year, he drafted Rodon, a top 6 cy young finisher in a competitive year for the Sox.

In Hostetlers years he drafted 10th, 11th, 4th, 3rd. Incredibly important drafts for the Sox and he converted…one?

Hard to see how his hard work was more impressive than the guy before or after him, even with all of the major league 0 war guys that save Hahn from signing a hostetler chosen major league FA for $5 million who will provide negative war value.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Did Hostetler draft Tim Anderson?  If so, that was certainly a great pick.

Laumann. I agree, esp with Bellingers fall it’s hard to put anyone beside Bryant above him (even though TA >> Bryant currently)

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic