Cueto

Lillian

A few questions:

1) The way the rotation is performing, and if the Sox make the Post Season, who is your number 2 starter, after Cease? For me, I'd seriously consider Cueto. The guy has been simply remarkable.

2) Is anyone concerned that he is taking PED's again, or is it just hard work and recovery from his TJS?  Incredible that it took so long for someone to offer him a contract.

3) If he holds up, the rest of the season, would you be in favor of trying to bring him back for at least one more year, and what do you think it would take? He is one guy, who just might be able to be effective, in his later 30's. He wouldn't be the first. He is the kind of pitcher who relies more on cunning and guile, than on power. A real pitcher, rather than a "thrower".

It's a little too early to plan a playoff rotation but Cueto has been one hell of signing, I don't think he's had a bad outing with us.

As of right now they have to consider bringing him back unless they have other free agent pitchers they want to sign, again a little too early.

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

A few questions:

1) The way the rotation is performing, and if the Sox make the Post Season, who is your number 2 starter, after Cease? For me, I'd seriously consider Cueto. The guy has been simply remarkable.

2) Is anyone concerned that he is taking PED's again, or is it just hard work and recovery from his TJS?  Incredible that it took so long for someone to offer him a contract.

3) If he holds up, the rest of the season, would you be in favor of trying to bring him back for at least one more year, and what do you think it would take? He is one guy, who just might be able to be effective, in his later 30's. He wouldn't be the first. He is the kind of pitcher who relies more on cunning and guile, than on power. A real pitcher, rather than a "thrower".

My # 2 is open. Mainly because you have to take 2nd half performances into consideration and the opponent. I'm not concerned at all about PED mainly because that's beyond my control but he is known as a fitness dude . He runs and runs and runs stairs. The rest of the Sox could learn a thing or 2 from him about keeping the legs strong not by using weights but just running up and down stairs. ALl baseball players need the strong base especially pitchers.

As far as bringing him back I wouldn't put too much stock in it in his age 38 season. Just treat him like any other free agent.

But someone I would seriously look at right now is Martin Perez if the Rangers decide to sell . They signed him on March 11th to a $4M 1 yr . deal and he made the All-Star team and he's 31, left-handed and in his 2 starts against the Astro's he pitched a complete game shutout and 7 innings giving up just 1 run.

He's their much younger Cueto. Sox might have even been looking into him right before they got Vince Velasquez.

March 11 Rangers sign Martin Perez $4M

March 13 Sox sign Vince Velasquez $3M . Based on the dates the Sox could've offered Perez $3M . He turned it down. Sox pivoted and signed  V V for the $3M instead.

April 3 Sox announce Lance Lynn will miss 6-8 weeks.

April 5 Sox sign Cueto $4.2M minor league deal (Prorated to $3.32M) after call up.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It's a little too early to plan a playoff rotation but Cueto has been one hell of signing, I don't think he's had a bad outing with us.

As of right now they have to consider bringing him back unless they have other free agent pitchers they want to sign, again a little too early.

A signing born from desperation . Signed 2 days after they lost Lance Lynn. Hahn got lucky Lynn got injured and Cueto was still around after he decided to spend $3M on Velasquez instead of a little more on Cueto or Martin Perez.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

I don't see a scenario, beside a player injured, that Tony wouldn't go with a combination (order TBD) of Lynn, Lucas and Cease as his first three in a playoff series.

Lynn is Tony's "Guy", unlike a Keuchel who was brought in before Tony got there. Tony wanted Lynn to go twice in Houston last ALDS, if necessary, saying Lynn could go twice on short rest. It was apparent to most on SoxTalk Lynn should have been pushed back until Game 3 or 4 against Houston, because he has gotten absolutely pummeled by the Astros at Minute Maid the past two seasons. His best chance at possible success was at Comiskey Park II.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tools/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=site|HOU03|lynnla01|pitch|IP|

In terms of Cueto, there is a long way to go this season. Hopefully he can keep pitching well and stay healthy. They will have a decision to make if he is, because it will be hard to tell their pitcher of the future he's not starting this in the 2022 playoff either (he pitched twice from the bullpen last year). Kopech said he'll have this knee issue through the end of the season, so that may be a convenient excuse to leave him off the first round playoff roster.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't see a scenario, beside a player injured, that Tony wouldn't go with a combination (order TBD) of Lynn, Lucas and Cease as his first three in a playoff series.

Lynn is Tony's "Guy", unlike a Keuchel who was brought in before Tony got there. Tony wanted Lynn to go twice in Houston last ALDS, if necessary, saying Lynn could go twice on short rest. It was apparent to most on SoxTalk Lynn should have been pushed back until Game 3 or 4 against Houston, because he has gotten absolutely pummeled by the Astros at Minute Maid the past two seasons. His best chance at possible success was at Comiskey Park II.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tools/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=site|HOU03|lynnla01|pitch|IP|

In terms of Cueto, there is a long way to go this season. Hopefully he can keep pitching well and stay healthy. They will have a decision to make if he is, because it will be hard to tell their pitcher of the future he's not starting this in the 2022 playoff either (he pitched twice from the bullpen last year). Kopech said he'll have this knee issue through the end of the season, so that may be a convenient excuse to leave him off the first round playoff roster.

They have much bigger things to worry about than Kopech’s feelings right now.

Like his stuff and his usage and managing him to the end of the season.

But going with Gio and Lynn when they are unlikely to be around long-term with the Sox would be par for the course.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The way Lynn is pitching, he better not be one of the 3 main starters, if the Sox end up in the Post Season. He is clearly not the same guy, after his knee surgery. Let's hope that he at least comes back healthy next season. 

It is way to early and very speculative to be talking playoff rotations.  That said, if the playoffs started right after the all star break, Cueto is probably the second most deserving on the staff of starting a playoff game.  We are still a few weeks to the trade deadline.  I still think we could end up selling and people will be looking for starting pitching.  He has been good and prorated will be cheap.