Updated MLB Pipeline Sox Top 30

Sleepy Harold

I just don’t care about mlb pipeline. By next spring their list will start to match BA and others mid years. But by that time BA and others that actually get looks will have moved on. I think they do decent work on the draft, but I just don’t much care for their farm stuff.

• Like 1

Where is Oscar Colas? Was he close to being on the Top 100? – A whole lot of people

Colas may have been the prospect asked about the most since we launched our new lists. He’s currently No. 2 on the White Sox list, behind their lone Top 100 representative, Colson Montgomery and the Cuban outfielder certainly has performed well enough to warrant consideration.

The 2022 Futures Gamer carried a .321/.386/.538 line into Wednesday’s games and he’s hit even better (.348/.431/.708 in 23 games) since he got bumped up to Double-A. The fact it’s just 23 games is part of the reason why he didn’t make the list. When we started our process in lining up the new Top 100, Colas had spent very little time in Double-A, and even the games he has now under his belt are a little bit of a small sample size. A 23-year old with his level of international experience hitting well in High-A is worth noting, but not something that automatically rings the Top 100 bell.

Colas is all about the bat -- he’s not super-athletic or speedy -- and he’s definitely on the radar for eventual inclusion given how good that bat has been. Assuming he keeps raking with Birmingham, I think he’ll definitely be in the conversation if and when we need replacements down the stretch of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/digging-into-the-new-prospect-rankings-pipeline-inbox?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Edited by DirtySox

For my part, I have followed Callis since the beginning at BA. I have a lot of respect for him.  Mayo… eh.  I have never thought much of him.  On their podcast, Callis clearly wanted to rank Colas.  Mayo did not. Mayo likes speedy slap hitters who steal bases, which is not a thing that currently wins baseball games, no matter how often Manfred changes the rules to make it a thing.

Edited by Timmy U
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I think assessing Colas as a bat only prospect seems a bit lazy. A bat only guy wouldn't be spending the bulk of his time playing CF in the minors. Even if it isn't going to be his long term home.

Fully agree…it’s like they are nine months behind in scouting him.  Dude came to camp this year in super shape and the speed is way better than they are advertising.