Impact of Sox Injuries...

Lip Man 1

I think this is often overlooked just because the team has been .500 for a year. Plus WARP time missed might be under estimated because it's hard to estimate just how much WARP a healthy Robert and Eloy could generate since we've never seen a full season from either one. I know these estimates on WARP missed could also apply to the Rays and Dodgers who have also missed a large amount of estimated WARP due to injuries.

With all of the injuries  on this team this year plus 2 of their main hitters (Moncada + Grandal) have completely collapsed, is  anyone really surprised that this team isn't winning?  Also it should be pointed out that with Anderson and Robert not playing this team has no speed. They  can't manufacture runs without any speed. This is going to be a very interesting off season.  I wonder if the team will  be blown up or if they try to add players to improve the team.

Amazed how the Dodgers always seem to rise above that.  It starts with a superior farm system.  Those are not created by trading a star player to get a "haul" but by scouting and development. 

Injuries will be an excuse to keep this horrible coaching staff. I don't think I could tolerate this as a fan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would like to remind that had Lance Lynn not gotten injured in spring training the white Sox do not sign Cueto.

I've said that a few times even though I can never be 100% certain they weren't talking to him before the Lynn injury.

I've also said they may have also talked to Martin Perez since the signed Velasquez for $3M 2 days after Perez signed with the Rangers for $4M.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've said that a few times even though I can never be 100% certain they weren't talking to him before the Lynn injury.

I've also said they may have also talked to Martin Perez since the signed Velasquez for $3M 2 days after Perez signed with the Rangers for $4M.

Even if they did, they clearly weren’t willing to put enough on the table to meet Cueto’s price until they had no choice.

44 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Amazed how the Dodgers always seem to rise above that.  It starts with a superior farm system.  Those are not created by trading a star player to get a "haul" but by scouting and development. 

Injuries will be an excuse to keep this horrible coaching staff. I don't think I could tolerate this as a fan. 

Why not, if you have tolerated JR as owner for this long ? Everything wrong with the Sox is just a trickle down effect.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Even if they did, they clearly weren’t willing to put enough on the table to meet Cueto’s price until they had no choice.

Right just as I think they tried to save $1M by not giving Perez $4 and instead signed Velasquez for $3M

Remember all these things took place the 2nd week of March when the Sox had already spent all they had to spend.

It's also probably the reason why they didn't improve the team at the trade deadline. JR didn't want to spend any more. But there's always room for another reliever !

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Right just as I think they tried to save $1M by not giving Perez $4 and instead signed Velasquez for $3M

Remember all these things took place the 2nd week of March when the Sox had already spent all they had to spend.

It's also probably the reason why they didn't improve the team at the trade deadline. JR didn't want to spend any more. But there's always room for another reliever !

They are bad at spending money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why not, if you have tolerated JR as owner for this long ? Everything wrong with the Sox is just a trickle down effect.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think all the fans will continue to tolerate the Sox based on failures like this season and if more future seasons go like this one, the fans won't just continue to support Jerry. The future is already looking bleak with the 26th ranked farm system and all type of underachieving and injury prone players on this Sox team.

I think a lot early excitement was generated by the Sox rebuild and promises. Fans were excited seeing certain young players potentially becoming stars and contacts extended. The FO promised continued successful playoff success and implied future championships. However when the realty is that Eloy, Moncada and Robert and several other players are all injury prone and underperforming, I think fans will revaluate their loyalty to this Jerry team. This especially will be a factor if Jerry defends his loser buddy LaRussa and brings him back next year. 

There was a time back in the late 80's when the Sox attendance was bad. Nothing is guaranteed with continued stupid owner and front office inept decision making. Nothing says this can't happen again. 

1987 - 14,914

1988 - 13,860

1989 - 12,989

The only thing that can save future Sox loyalty is a major FO cleaning house and on field manager change. To keep doing the same o, same o with the same losers, is just the pure definition of insanity! Fans will not keep watching dumb and inept baseball with horrible leadership at all levels.

• Like 1