And That's a White Sox 4 out of 5 Winner !

Good win and a good chance of a series win. To get back to .500 and better we can’t count on the Sox going on a 10 game winning streak, they need to concentrate on one game at a time and taking one series after another, doable but another stretch where they stink up the joint means it’s wait until next year.

8 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

He threw 2IP today FWIW, 34 pitches.

Depends on how many innings the Sox want to build him up to.  They are going to have a hole or 2 in the rotation next year. They desperately need starters.  Crochet has never been an effective starting pitcher before so it may be folly to expect him to become an effective starting pitcher who can go 5 + innings and stay healthy. We have no idea if that is what the Sox want or if they just want a long reliever for this year.

Crochet has said he wants to try to be a starter. He has just returned from TJ surgery. USUALLY it takes 2 years to be back to full strength. It's rare a starting pitcher can come back and be effective in his 1st year back. Maybe Verlander can do it this year but remember he has had a LOT of starts in the past. Crochet doesn't have that. Crochet would be in uncharted territory. Remember he wasn't a good starting pitcher even in college . The most innings he ever pitched in college was 65 innings in in 2019 and 63.2 innings in 2018.

He threw 54 innings in 2021 for the Sox. On April 2nd 2022, it was announced he would have Tommy John surgery the following week after pitching in Spring Training.

I suppose if Crochet agreed perhaps the Sox could use him in long relief this year and allow him to go 3 innings max but is that what Crochet wants to do ? Or does he want to stay in the minors all year and try to build up to more innings and try to be a starting pitcher next year ?

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Depends on how many innings the Sox want to build him up to.  They are going to have a hole or 2 in the rotation next year. They desperately need starters.  Crochet has never been an effective starting pitcher before so it may be folly to expect him to become an effective starting pitcher who can go 5 + innings and stay healthy. We have no idea if that is what the Sox want or if they just want a long reliever for this year.

[...]

I suppose if Crochet agreed perhaps the Sox could use him in long relief this year and allow him to go 3 innings max but is that what Crochet wants to do ? Or does he want to stay in the minors all year and try to build up to more innings and try to be a starting pitcher next year ?

The stated plan for this year is long-ish relief.

Which hasn't changed from the stated intentions during the off season. Get him some longer outings, and presumably see where things stands after that for a viability of a Kopech-like transition.

29 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

The stated plan for this year is long-ish relief.

Which hasn't changed from the stated intentions during the off season. Get him some longer outings, and presumably see where things stands after that for a viability of a Kopech-like transition.

https://southsideshowdown.com/2022/09/03/fantastic-rumors-update-white-sox-pitcher-garrett-crochet/

This is from early September of 2022

James Fegan does an incredible job covering the White Sox for The Athletic and the provided this very nice update. Hearing what he said about Crochet is amazing for everyone involved as he can be a legit difference maker.

It sounds as if based on Fegan’s tweet that Crochet is planning on becoming a starter again in 2023. He prepared for 2021 as a reliever and is preparing for 2023 as a starter.

I know things change but I'd wait to hear from Crochet again myself. Crochet and the Sox might be meeting halfway. Crochet wants to be more than a 1 inning guy and I doubt he wants to stop building up his arm at just 3 innings. I'd keep him down at least until June, maybe even July ,and see how he's progressing. Nothing is set in stone at this time.