Trading One Year Assets is Inevitable. Maybe even 2-yr

SouthSideGeorgia

On 7/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, Balta1701 said:

Because the White Sox problem with trades like that is they can’t replace guys!

The Rays traded away Joe Ryan and he became a solid player. Are the Rays starved for starting pitching right now? Their starters have the 4th best WAR and 2nd best ERA in baseball. They can make trades they lose because they can replace guys.

The White Sox traded Madrigal. He’s not anything special, but could the white Sox replace him? They’ve spent $20 million on Andrus and Garcia and rushed Sosa and Rodriguez up from AA to try to fill that hole since, and something tells me they’re not at the top of baseball in 2b production.

The White Sox traded Dunning and y’all got to brag because Rick Hahn got a good player back. Have they replaced him? The Sox are so starved for affordable starting pitching that Toussaint is pitching today. Had they developed Crochet and Kopech into solid starters and found another one in 2019 or 2020 this wouldn’t matter, but the fact that they can’t develop anyone creates giant holes.

They traded Narvaez for Colome. Colome was fine, but they had no catchers so they spent $70 million on Grandal, on top of Colome’s price. This is how it cascades - they can’t develop anyone, so when they trade guys away they have to find free agents to replace them, but they run out of money after just a handful of signings so they wind up hunting from the trash heap.

This is an excellent post.  Most fans want trades are more emotional than rational. Get a haul never happens. Some fans think they should trade Robert.  Last I heard Veeck no longer owns the team where he couldn't afford to keep better players.

People forget it is who is doing the trading. The Sox are not good at scouting even the big league players. Then there is development.  Better small market organizations value their better prospects. Only teams with the win now mode and nothing left on the farm in case of injury.  There's speculation the Padres may trade Soto.  So far they win the big disappointment title.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m struggling with NOT moving Cease now for a haul of Top starting arms (thinking Dodgers here).

Feels like we could generate interest to replenish the farm quite a bit for the near future. And I just don’t see the need for betting on any consistent success from the team next year. 

Cease has struggled to get more than 5 innings each start.  May as well use his upside from 2022 and contract length to provide some long term assets. 

i know, I know… he’s not going anywhere. We don’t want Hahn trading him… but the best timing feels like right now. 🫠

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia