Trading One Year Assets is Inevitable. Maybe even 2-yr

SouthSideGeorgia

26 minutes ago, T R U said:

Seems like picking up his option and hoping hes back to the old Liam next season would make more sense than buying him out and paying him $1.5 million per year until 2033, but who knows.

With the way that option is structured you pretty much only use it if you’re confident he won’t be pitching next year. If the elbow problem this year drags on, and he misses a lot of second half time, that’s when you’d think about it, if that were the only thing going on.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With the way that option is structured you pretty much only use it if you’re confident he won’t be pitching next year. If the elbow problem this year drags on, and he misses a lot of second half time, that’s when you’d think about it, if that were the only thing going on.

He should just have surgery now. f*** it.

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

They love to broadcast their intentions:

The biggest risk now is that the Twins lose a couple in a row, the White Sox stay in 4th place, but they get to like 3 games back and Hahn gives another “yes we are right where we need to be” comment and adds pieces rather than subtracting. So please, tell everyone this is happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

His six were Giolito, Clevinger, Lynn, Bummer, Graveman, and Kelly

That's half of the entire pitching staff.  Given what might be expected in return,  that's going to make for one brutally bad second half.  For a team on pace to lose 93 games already, that has absolutely no pitching depth in the minors, 100+ losses would practically be a lock. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You can say the same for Lynn basically. Nightengale did acknowledge the other guys (besides Giolito) have no value though.

I’d still guess you can get someone to take on a couple million on Lynn’s contract. An experienced pitcher at the back of your rotation is almost always better down the stretch than calling up your eighth starter, and there are definitely teams at that point right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’d still guess you can get someone to take on a couple million on Lynn’s contract. An experienced pitcher at the back of your rotation is almost always better down the stretch than calling up your eighth starter, and there are definitely teams at that point right now.

Some team will look at that 16 strikeout game and go "I can fix him"

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

True. Should start collecting more minor league arms now. Should *hopefully* bring in a guy you can place into the rotation after a Giolito trade. Even if it isn't the main/best piece but still an additional MLB ready arm as a 3rd or 4th piece.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The only way Clevinger is gone is if he’s cut.

Ehhh.  SP is in such demand that if he comes back and has a couple solid starts, someone would take him off the Sox hands.  Wouldn't return much but a lottery ticket and some salary relief, tho. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You can say the same for Lynn basically. Nightengale did acknowledge the other guys (besides Giolito) have no value though.

Bummer and Graveman should have value.  Middleton too.  Kelly might have a little value left, but his last few weeks probably zapped a good chunk of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Middleton is definitely another guy that should be moved.

I think Sox could get a decent piece for Middleton.  He's paid league minimum.  I imagine every contending club would be interested, especially the cheap ones. 

Just now, bmags said:

Lol, pretty much Middleton.

Not trading Middleton would be insane.  He's a FA in 3 months.  He's paid nothing.  He's been really good.  I imagine lots of clubs would be interested.  If you can turn him into a SP prospect (won't be a super higher end one, obviously), you absolutely have to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I have no idea why they wouldn't consider trading Cease. 2024-25 ain't happening. 

I understand not trading Kopech until he proves he can start, which may never happen. 

They should definitely consider trading him but only deal him if they're blown away.

25 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

I have no idea why they wouldn't consider trading Cease. 2024-25 ain't happening. 

I understand not trading Kopech until he proves he can start, which may never happen. 

You don't trade Cease unless you are tearing it down to the studs.

I have a hard time believing that they tear it all the way down again. Not in this division.

Robert would need to go as well unless we want to be the Angels and have a mediocre team built around one superstar player with nothing to show for it.

Poor Mike Trout, one playoff appearance and no playoff wins. He has three MVP's and two of them have come from last place finishing teams.