The "Royalization" of the White Sox...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

we thought we had "players" this year and last. as I said, I don't think it's a coincidence when guys with track records all underperform at the same time. Again, not saying Salvy is the solution but the GM should probably try to address the issue.  

Which guys with track records underperformed? I will give you Anderson but who else? Robert seriously overperformed. Clevinger was better at baseball and boxing. Moncada was about the same. Burger broke out. Grandal was way better than last year. So many guys - Kopech, Vaughn, Colas, Sosa, Crochet, Bummer, they just never were good. Lynn was worse sure, a 35 year old lost his fastball, that’s not a motivation thing. 

They were a bad team last year and the only reason they weren’t in third place was that they got lucky in 1 run games. They lost their best hitter and second best pitcher in the offseason. They didn’t upgrade basically anything, they have no support from the minors and maybe less depth than Oakland, and their already old roster got a year older. This was a terrible roster coming into the year that sone people refused to recognize.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which guys with track records underperformed? I will give you Anderson but who else? Robert seriously overperformed. Clevinger was better at baseball and boxing. Moncada was about the same. Burger broke out. Grandal was way better than last year. So many guys - Kopech, Vaughn, Colas, Sosa, Crochet, Bummer, they just never were good. Lynn was worse sure, a 35 year old lost his fastball, that’s not a motivation thing. 

They were a bad team last year and the only reason they weren’t in third place was that they got lucky in 1 run games. They lost their best hitter and second best pitcher in the offseason. They didn’t upgrade basically anything, they have no support from the minors and maybe less depth than Oakland, and their already old roster got a year older. This was a terrible roster coming into the year that sone people refused to recognize.

Dylan Cease is the obvious one missing here. I'm not considering guys like Burger, Colas or Sosa. Burger was a high draft pick who is performing to expectations finally.

Yaz was "better" last year but 200 slugging points worse than 2021. He's aging, so he doesn't count either (he does count but we're ignoring him for the sake of argument). Let's look at the regulars.

Yaz: worse

Elvis: worse

Vaughn: bad and not developing how he's expected to...can't blame the Sox except for drafting him..

Tim: worse

Moncada: worse

Benintendi: worse

Robert: better, young 5-tool superstar who will improve irrespective of his environment; particularly relevant to this argument because he's a loner and doesn't feed off the energy of his teammates. most normal human beings do.

Eloy: worse

Sheets: worse

Hanser: bad and got worse

Frazier: bad and got worse

Haseley: bad and got worse

popeye: good one day perhaps

did anyone else get at bats this season and is still on the team?

looks like every single player except the finally healthy unicorn took a step back. let's look at the pitching staff.

cease: worse

kopech: worse

giolito: better than last year, anyway (not according to FIP). consistent.

lynn🤮

clev: fine pitcher, but a predator

bummer: worse

i'm gonna stop there because this is boring and the trend is obvious. the only players who didn't take steps backward are no name rookie Gregory Santos and Luis Robert. I really don't believe that every once-good Sox player just turned bad all of a sudden at the same time, I think they just hate coming into work and that has a noticeable impact on their job performance which is predicated on making good decisions at the level of a millisecond. And the team staff can't be expected to help them perform at the level that they're capable of. That's ostensibly why they even have coaches. Any "mental hurdle" is going to be a drain on a player's performance. I believe this was obvious even before the La Russa stuff and especially before Middleton said anything. Players play better when they actually like their jobs, nobody on this team likes coming to work. That's a matter of organizational efficacy not 'we need better players'

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nrockway said:

Dylan Cease is the obvious one missing here. I'm not considering guys like Burger, Colas or Sosa. Burger was a high draft pick who is performing to expectations finally.

Yaz was "better" last year but 200 slugging points worse than 2021. He's aging, so he doesn't count either (he does count but we're ignoring him for the sake of argument). Let's look at the regulars.

Yaz: worse

Elvis: worse

Vaughn: bad and not developing how he's expected to...can't blame the Sox except for drafting him..

Tim: worse

Moncada: worse

Benintendi: worse

Robert: better, young 5-tool superstar who will improve irrespective of his environment; particularly relevant to this argument because he's a loner and doesn't feed off the energy of his teammates. most normal human beings do.

Eloy: worse

Sheets: worse

Hanser: bad and got worse

Frazier: bad and got worse

Haseley: bad and got worse

popeye: good one day perhaps

did anyone else get at bats this season and is still on the team?

looks like every single player except the finally healthy unicorn took a step back. let's look at the pitching staff.

cease: worse

kopech: worse

giolito: better than last year, anyway (not according to FIP). consistent.

lynn🤮

clev: fine pitcher, but a predator

bummer: worse

i'm gonna stop there because this is boring and the trend is obvious. the only players who didn't take steps backward are no name rookie Gregory Santos and Luis Robert. I really don't believe that every once-good Sox player just turned bad all of a sudden at the same time, I think they just hate coming into work and that has a noticeable impact on their job performance which is predicated on making good decisions at the level of a millisecond. And the team staff can't be expected to help them perform at the level that they're capable of. That's ostensibly why they even have coaches. Any "mental hurdle" is going to be a drain on a player's performance. I believe this was obvious even before the La Russa stuff and especially before Middleton said anything. Players play better when they actually like their jobs, nobody on this team likes coming to work. That's a matter of organizational efficacy not 'we need better players'

Some of these really annoy me because you’re obviously cheating to say it - for example, how is Moncada worse than last year? Hes not. Elvis Andrus is the exact same mid .600s OPS player he’s been for years and you’re counting him as worse because of an insane HR stretch over 2 months of last year that he was never going to repeat. For Grandal you’re comparing him to 2021 and saying how clearly he’s not motivated, but he was way worse in 2022 - but for Eloy, he was actually worse than this in 2021, slightly better but hurt more in 2022, so you pay attention to Eloy’s 2022 and ignore his 2021. They’re just generally bad, with numbers that bounce between tolerable and terrible!

But the real fun part? That you’ve literally said that you can tell how this team needs better motivation since they didn’t get anything out of Hanser Alberto, Gavin Sheets, Clint Frazier, and Adam Haseley.

i think there’s a bigger problem than motivation when stuff like that gets written.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

If the Sox lose one more game, there will be four 100-loss teams this season. I believe that ties the most ever. It also happened in 2002 and 2019. Only one team was involved in each of the record years, and we’re emulating them for some reason.

I was sent an e-mail tonight by a longtime former member of the Chicago media who covered the Sox.

They said (quote) "Getz and Gene Watson are disaster hires. I wonder if pro scouts will depart and if Mike Shirley will be promoted."

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was sent an e-mail tonight by a longtime former member of the Chicago media who covered the Sox.

They said (quote) "Getz and Gene Watson are disaster hires. I wonder if pro scouts will depart and if Mike Shirley will be promoted."

Jerry and Chris Getz in the owners box.

hqdefault.jpg