TA willing to Move to Second Base

Bob Sacamano

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Imagine if there are 4 to 5 marquee shortstops available and a need for a 2B on the team...Oh wait, that was last offseason and the Sox flubbed it completely while Swanson had a pretty damn solid season and everyone outside of Correa still performed about as expected. Sox could have moved Tim to 2nd last offseason, signed Swanson to SS and then shifted Colson to 3B to plan to replace Yo long term and been set for years. Instead they will bandaid this all, rush Colson and not have an internal 3B option for the next several seasons with a middling Yo Hoping to just stay healthy for 130+ to match that escalating deal. 

That was my first thought as well. But even if TA says he'll move to 2B a year ago, you really think the Sox are players for Turner, Swanson, Correa, or Xander? Hell no.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That was my first thought as well. But even if TA says he'll move to 2B a year ago, you really think the Sox are players for Turner, Swanson, Correa, or Xander? Hell no.

And even if they were, is it a good idea? They are already close to their payroll limit. If they spent another $25 million a year on Swanson, where does that money come from? Last year they signed Benintendi and Clevinger and had to backload both of those deals already, they basically spent $25 million total the entire offseason by doing so. Would they have gone into this season with a $210 million payroll that is only a few million from the luxury tax, and would they have all of a sudden been well over .500 from signing Swanson?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Don't really care who plays SS (other than Anderson I want him gone at this point). They are gonna be a place holder till Colson arrives. The team won't be good next year anyways.

Wouldn’t shock me if they play on Colson being everyday SS a few months into 2024

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Imagine if there are 4 to 5 marquee shortstops available and a need for a 2B on the team...Oh wait, that was last offseason and the Sox flubbed it completely while Swanson had a pretty damn solid season and everyone outside of Correa still performed about as expected. Sox could have moved Tim to 2nd last offseason, signed Swanson to SS and then shifted Colson to 3B to plan to replace Yo long term and been set for years. Instead they will bandaid this all, rush Colson and not have an internal 3B option for the next several seasons with a middling Yo Hoping to just stay healthy for 130+ to match that escalating deal. 

They didn’t even need to do that before/until they traded Burger…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

And even if they were, is it a good idea? They are already close to their payroll limit. If they spent another $25 million a year on Swanson, where does that money come from? Last year they signed Benintendi and Clevinger and had to backload both of those deals already, they basically spent $25 million total the entire offseason by doing so. Would they have gone into this season with a $210 million payroll that is only a few million from the luxury tax, and would they have all of a sudden been well over .500 from signing Swanson?

16 mil less to Benintendi + 9 million more for Swanson would have been so much better and just use a bandaid for the outfield. But that also was relying on Colas being a starter...which unfortunately doesn't look the case (and is brutal for the rebuild)

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

16 mil less to Benintendi + 9 million more for Swanson would have been so much better and just use a bandaid for the outfield. But that also was relying on Colas being a starter...which unfortunately doesn't look the case (and is brutal for the rebuild)

I mean, literally this puts Vaughn and Sheets both as potential OF starters again, and I kinda agree with the idea that neither of them should ever, ever, ever start in the OF again.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, literally this puts Vaughn and Sheets both as potential OF starters again, and I kinda agree with the idea that neither of them should ever, ever, ever start in the OF again.

Just bad roster building no matter how Hahn tried to defend it. Colson HAS to hit if they keep Robert or we are gonna have so many holes in 2 years

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Just bad roster building no matter how Hahn tried to defend it. Colson HAS to hit if they keep Robert or we are gonna have so many holes in 2 years

This was the problem last offseason. They were already held together by duct tape and hope in 2022, they acted like a team that was 1 or 2 players away because to act otherwise was an admission of defeat. But, they weren't 1 or 2 players away, and the end result of that is a multi-year deal with Benintendi - not the worst thing ever, but a classic setback type move when you can't accept where your team is.

"Can't accept where your team is" is also a succinct description of an owner declaring they need to "Win soon" and that they "owed it to the fans to not conduct a GM search". 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If Sheets was a legit LH power bat, he would be tolerable in the OF. But he isn't and is regressing to boot.  Vaughn fuhgetaboutit.

• Like 1