White Sox 2023 Option Decisions

South Side Hit Men

Spotrac released an article by Michael Ginnitti predicting every single MLB Option Decision.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/predicting-every-2024-mlb-option-decision-2040/

For the White Sox, Michael predicts the White Sox will

1. Exercise the $15M option for Liam Hendriks.
  2. Decline Tim Anderson’s $14M option.
  3. Mike Clevinger will decline the $12M player option.

Jerry personally likes Liam, so I could see the Sox possibly signing an extension with him beyond 2024, and let him rehab with the club and perform more promotional opportunities as he did while out in 2023.

If this wasn’t the case, than I would think it smart for Jerry to take the $1.5M X 10 year option, and let his children or a new owner pay the remaining years shall Jerry not survive through 2033, plus benefit via inflation and time value of money.

Seven interesting beyond White Sox  predictions, one unfortunately with a possible White Sox impact (Merrifield).

1. Michael Conforto (San Francisco) - Declines $18M Player Option.
  2. Andrew Heaney (Texas) - Declines $13M Player Option.
  3. Whit Merrifield (Toronto) - Toronto declines $18M mutual option.
  4. Max Muncy (Los Angeles) - Dodgers exercise $14M Team Option.
  5. Justin Turner (Boston) - Turner takes $6.7M Player Option Buyout ($13.4M to stay) and explores FA or retires.
  6. Marcus Stroman (Chicago) - Marcus exercises $21M Player Option.
  7. Michael Wacha (San Diego) - Padres exercise $32M / 2 year team option.
Edited by South Side Hit Men

Liam goes far beyond any potential wins or losses. Even if Jerry Reinsdorf prioritized on field success, which there is no evidence he had over his 43 years as owner, I could see them wanting him involved in 2024 and beyond.

Liam’s recovery from cancer was pretty much the lone feel good story in 2023. The team heavily marketed his recovery and return from cancer, and subsequent cancer events and fan meetups were promoted on social media. Perhaps there is mutual interest with Liam continuing with the White Sox in a FO or coaching role after retirement.

While Liam will not personally be responsible for $15M in ticket sales next year, I do suspect they will hold a game or two with Liam involved that will feature perhaps a cancer fundraiser (raffle, perhaps extra promotional item with special tickets they do several times a season).

I also think they give him a two year deal (2024-2025) with a third year option / buyout, primarily because Jerry takes care of the limited number of people on Earth he likes, and Liam seems to like it here (Chicago + White Sox) despite the organizational dysfunction and losing.

You need to have at least a few marketable players for fan interest. You can’t expect the Sox completely and intentionally alienate fans like Oakland has by intentionally sabotaging ticket sales, with their announcer spew the N word during multiple broadcasts, though the latter was probably not orchestrated by owner John Fischer.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:40 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Liam goes far beyond any potential wins or losses. Even if Jerry Reinsdorf prioritized on field success, which there is no evidence he had over his 43 years as owner, I could see them wanting him involved in 2024 and beyond.

Liam’s recovery from cancer was pretty much the lone feel good story in 2023. The team heavily marketed his recovery and return from cancer, and subsequent cancer events and fan meetups were promoted on social media. Perhaps there is mutual interest with Liam continuing with the White Sox in a FO or coaching role after retirement.

While Liam will not personally be responsible for $15M in ticket sales next year, I do suspect they will hold a game or two with Liam involved that will feature perhaps a cancer fundraiser (raffle, perhaps extra promotional item with special tickets they do several times a season).

I also think they give him a two year deal (2024-2025) with a third year option / buyout, primarily because Jerry takes care of the limited number of people on Earth he likes, and Liam seems to like it here (Chicago + White Sox) despite the organizational dysfunction and losing.

You need to have at least a few marketable players for fan interest. You can’t expect the Sox completely and intentionally alienate fans like Oakland has by intentionally sabotaging ticket sales, with their announcer spew the N word during multiple broadcasts, though the latter was probably not orchestrated by owner John Fischer.

Then get the deal done before the option decision deadline. 

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why would they pick up that Liam option lol

Jerry didn’t go to all the trouble to include a crazy deferred buyout to ultimately not use it when the opportunity presents itself.  The old man hasn’t been this excited since Albert Belle opted out of his contract due to us not honoring the  “top three highest paid player” clause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry didn’t go to all the trouble to include a crazy deferred buyout to ultimately not use it when the opportunity presents itself.  The old man hasn’t been this excited since Albert Belle opted out of his contract due to us not honoring the  “top three highest paid player” clause.

If they pick up his option, it would be more proof JR crying poor all their years was BS. No one loves all that Liam brings to the table more than me, but give him the buyout and do something that makes sense for a couple of years. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If they pick up his option, it would be more proof JR crying poor all their years was BS. No one loves all that Liam brings to the table more than me, but give him the buyout and do something that makes sense for a couple of years. 

Yeah, give him a 2 year deal. And announce it towards end of off-season/spring training so you can give yourself 40-man flexibility all off-season/place him on 60-day IL at Spring Training.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

JR is going to want to kick that can down the road as long as possible. He may not be on the hook paying all of that $15M considering he's 87.