Fall/Winter Ball: Week 4

Autumn Dreamin

The Glendale Desert Dogs were undefeated last week, and our Sox boys made some pretty solid contributions to that 6-0 streak.

• Colson Montgomery went 5-16 with a 2B, 3B, and 6 RBI.
  • Jacob Burke was 6-22 with a pair of 2B, 2 SB, and a game winning grand slam.
  • Bryan Ramos hit the ground running in his return, going 5-9 with 2 HR in his two games back.

Fraser Ellard (4K) and Jordan Leasure (3K) both chipped in two scoreless appearances apiece. Jake Eder had 4K in 2IP, but was tagged for 1 ER when a walk, steal, and sac fly from a reliever scored his runner from first. Josimar Cousin was burned by 2 HR (4 ER) in his start. Adisyn Coffey once again looked great in the first inning of an appearance (2K and a flyout) before falling apart when asked for a second (and inexplicably being hung out to dry).

The White Sox bats are responsible for 28 of the team's 80 RBI through 18 games (and 7 of their 22 HR). Unfortunately, it looks like they'll have to keep up the production without Colson Montgomery (whose 14 RBI lead the team) for at least one more game. He was pulled for a PR late on Friday, missed Saturday's game, and after an off day Sunday, he's out of the lineup again for Monday's game.

Some highlights:

Spoiler

The Week Ahead:

Five AFL games this week, two of which (Wednesday and Thursday) will be streamed. Also, winter ball is officially underway! Of particular note, RHP Johan Dominguez (returned from TJ midseason, and a sneaky SP depth option IMO) is scheduled for a LIDOM start this week, and top-30-but-still-underrated Wilfred Veras has been getting in some more ABs and OF reps.

Game 1: GDD vs. SCO (Gameday | No Stream)

After facing the top AFL team at the time of both of his last starts, Jake Eder gets the ball today to face...the new top AFL team!

His 10 K and 3.24 ERA through 8.1 IP are respectable (and his mechanics look back on track) but I'm hoping to see him go a bit deeper in this one. His last outing was shortened by a tight zone leading to lots of deep counts. The AFL is experimenting with some kind of individualized batting stance adjusted zone IIRC and it leads to some odd looking calls.

The opposing starter is also a lefty, which could be a non-injury reason to rest Colson again...There's an off day tomorrow, so we'll see if he's back in for Wednesday's game.

Burke and Ramos are batting 2 and 4, playing their usual positions.

• Like 3

The Dogs stay hot to win 9-4, their 7th in a row.

• Jacob Burke went 1-4 with a sac fly RBI and a run scored.
  • Bryan Ramos was 1-4 with a BB and a run scored after he reached on an error.
  • Jake Eder had a rough 3 run first thanks to an IF single and a couple SBs (the Glendale catchers get run on with abandon), but settled in to go 4 IP, retiring his last 8 batters in order. 4 IP, 4 ER, 4 K, 0 BB.
  • Fraser Ellard came on in relief for the 5th. Clean 2 K inning, and his second W.
  • Jordan Leasure gave up the second hit of his AFL tenure, but got 3 Ks (all swinging) to seal the win in the 9th. He has 11K in 6 innings, a 0.50 WHIP, and his ticket to big league camp all but assured. Thanks, Dodgers!

Eder's strikeouts were also all swinging: 

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Like 1

Eder confirms that his AFL tenure is primarily about getting his lower half right to iron out his mechanics. Says he found something in the outing tonight:

"Even in this situation, I'm still looking to compete," Eder said about pitching in the more low-key AFL setting. "At the same time, I'm working on a couple of things. You never want that to happen right off the bat, but I was excited about how I made an adjustment and had some things click and felt really good in those last two innings." [...]

"It's been a process working on [the lower half]. For it to come together and click in a game scenario, that was cool. I was excited about that."

Eder, who was working his fastball mostly in the 93-94 mph range, said his ability to incorporate his lower half more consistently changes everything about his repertoire and how he uses it. His fastball spin efficiency was better, giving it more ride up in the zone. It helps him keep his slider and changeup on the same plane, leading to better command and more deception. Feel for pitching can often take a while for a pitcher to find following a long injury layoff, but for Eder, it's less about the ball coming out of his hand than it is the efficiency of the delivery.

"I think when my lower half and mechanical stuff click, then I have the feel," he said. "It's been focusing on consistency of that. As I get that back and can repeat those mechanics every time, which tonight I think was a big step towards that, then I have the feel for everything. That's the goal."

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-prospect-jake-eder-shows-growth-in-arizona-fall-league

So the focus seems a bit process over results, which makes sense. The stuff about spin efficiency, ride, and tunneling was all him, by the way. He seems well versed in the metrics behind his stuff and what he wants it to do.

Also there's your velo check @baseball_gal_aly "mostly 93-94"

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 2:52 AM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Eder confirms that his AFL tenure is primarily about getting his lower half right to iron out his mechanics. Says he found something in the outing tonight:

So the focus seems a bit process over results, which makes sense. The stuff about spin efficiency, ride, and tunneling was all him, by the way. He seems well versed in the metrics behind his stuff and what he wants it to do.

Also there's your velo check @baseball_gal_aly "mostly 93-94"

The following bit is concerning to me:

That adjustment was all about his lower-half mechanics, something he's been working through with Glendale pitching coach Dave Anderson (Dodgers). One of the benefits of coming to the Fall League is getting to work with instructors who haven't seen you before.

"I think a fresh set of eyes is always good," Eder said. "They can see things that someone who's been looking at you for a long time would maybe miss, or that even you yourself might miss. It's a fresh perspective, and he's been good about just keeping things really simple and working on one or two main things and building on that.

I of course have no problem in principle with Dodgers staff fixing our prospects, but it gave me the vibe that Eder wasn't sent to the AFL to work on something, but rather showed up expected to pitch well but is now getting new mechanics from an outside coach who won't be there to help him see the changes through. I'm fully willing to believe the advice he's getting from Dodgers guy is good, just worried that he was in shambles, the Sox had no plan, and Sox will continue to have no plan when he gets back into our system.

3 hours ago, Jake said:

I of course have no problem in principle with Dodgers staff fixing our prospects, but it gave me the vibe that Eder wasn't sent to the AFL to work on something, but rather showed up expected to pitch well but is now getting new mechanics from an outside coach who won't be there to help him see the changes through. I'm fully willing to believe the advice he's getting from Dodgers guy is good, just worried that he was in shambles, the Sox had no plan, and Sox will continue to have no plan when he gets back into our system.

obviously our plan is to continue to just have eder bug this guy in spring training. AFTER THAT is when we should worry.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

No our plan is to hire him as pitching coach because this is how we find pitching coaches 

I was wondering about that earlier if teams have a kind of “don’t hire” pact when they send these guys to the AFL so they don’t have to worry about guys getting poached.

7 hours ago, Jake said:

Your odds of making an MLB debut go up to something like 60% with an AFL assignment, and no org is sending guys they expect to contribute in the bigs to get random coaching from others sight unseen. Although almost every team does have at least one pair of division rivals, so I suppose the strategy of trying to sabotage your future competition could be an interesting one...

Anyway, Eder left Bham early for Glendale specifically for the Sox to identify what mechanical tweaks they wanted to make. Then they sent him from the pitching lab to instructs to work on it in live reps, and now the AFL against tougher competition to keep working at it. There's pretty clearly a plan, his AFL time is a piece of it, and him complimenting the Dodgers coach when asked about him by the interviewer doesn't indicate otherwise IMO.

AFL staff communicate with teams about their plans/goals for a player. The Sox aren't just closing their eyes and hoping everyone magically comes back more major league ready, they all essentially have "homework" assignments.

Leasure, for example, is there to work on his new CB. And even though Anderson is actually one of his old LAD coaches, that's clearly a Sox directive  (the third pitch the Dodgers had him tinker with was a changeup he apparently never got fully comfortable with, this curveball project started after the trade).

• Like 1

The Desert Dogs W8 came to an end yesterday. The offense struggled, and 9 of the first 10 batters reached against the pen in the 8th (4 against Coffey). 7-2 final.

• Montgomery was 1-4 with a BB.
  • Burke was 1-5 and also reached on an error.
  • Ramos was 0-2 with 2 BB and also hustled to second on a routine fly ball that the CF dropped for an E8.

Game 3: GDD vs. MSS (Gameday | Live Stream)

Off day for Burke, Colson and Ramos in their usual spots.

Live stream is here: https://www.mlb.com/video/live-fall-league-mss-vs-gdd-89761

• Love 1

Cousin pitched out of the pen last night, I assume since there's more starters than starts available this week. He went 2.2IP 4H, 3R, 2K, 2BB.

Two of the hits were IF singles, including a grounder he tipped off his glove that would have been an easy out if he didn't touch it. The only XBH was a solo shot. 

The other runs are from a 2 out walk + single, which came around to score on a double steal, an E2 thrown into center, and then a pitch that got away from the catcher. 4 steals against and 2 errors for the catcher in total...

Not much offense to speak of, but I should shout out Ramos' smart baserunning. He hit a bloop single with runners on first and second to load the bases...but the guy on second kept running for some reason and got tagged out. Ramos made the heads up move to hustle to second himself to keep two RISP. He then beat out a FC sliding into 3rd on the next play.

Game 4: GDD vs. MSS (Gameday | No Stream)

No stream today. Ramos/Montgomery are off, so only Burke in the lineup.

Game 5: GDD vs. SRR (Gameday | No Stream)

All three Sox bats played in a 7 inning game to end the week.

• Montgomery went 0-3 with an RBI groundout.
  • Burke went 1-4 with a SB.
  • Bryan Ramos reached in every AB, 1-1 with 2BB.

Fraser Ellard threw a scoreless 2K inning. Leasure got his first multi-inning appearance, getting the last out of the 6th and all of the 7th: 1.1IP, 0H, 1BB, 2K. His BAA is down to .083.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Like 1