Bannister / Kopech talkin shop stuff

bmags

I read this 3 times and visually I have no idea what I’m supposed to picture. How close is the hula hoop to the pitchers front? Is this like that da Vinci sketch with those arms and legs everywhere?

https://soxmachine.com/2024/02/brian-bannister-white-sox-michael-kopech/

But main thought reading this is glad to see the progression of focus here on command. I thought Katz focus on stuff over all and not worrying about walks as much made sense when the pitchers played in front of a defense so bad any contact would be a hit. Bannister seems to be gently layering in some changes to harnessing this now with our worlds best / cheapest defense.

Good luck to ye.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I read this 3 times and visually I have no idea what I’m supposed to picture. How close is the hula hoop to the pitchers front? Is this like that da Vinci sketch with those arms and legs everywhere?

https://soxmachine.com/2024/02/brian-bannister-white-sox-michael-kopech/

But main thought reading this is glad to see the progression of focus here on command. I thought Katz focus on stuff over all and not worrying about walks as much made sense when the pitchers played in front of a defense so bad any contact would be a hit. Bannister seems to be gently layering in some changes to harnessing this now with our worlds best / cheapest defense.

Good luck to ye.

Seems like he was just saying much like a golf swing, there's always a wrong way to get the clubface on the ball, but there's also a lot of right ways -- and that each pitcher, like a golfer, will have his own right way.

I dunno, read like mostly fluff to me. To the extent pitching tacticians, coaches, whatever can make a difference it's not something you can rely on year in year out and certainly not with the talent we currently have in the starting rotation. If nothing else, maybe it can help Kopech avoid injury. That would be valuable.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Seems like he was just saying much like a golf swing, there's always a wrong way to get the clubface on the ball, but there's also a lot of right ways -- and that each pitcher, like a golfer, will have his own right way.

I dunno, read like mostly fluff to me. To the extent pitching tacticians, coaches, whatever can make a difference it's not something you can rely on year in year out and certainly not with the talent we currently have in the starting rotation. If nothing else, maybe it can help Kopech avoid injury. That would be valuable.

Eh no can’t get behind that. An org running well on pitching coaching, trainers and scouts is doable and has been a huge advantage to places like San Fran/MN and most notably MIL. Doesn’t mean it will work with kopech but he’s got the biggest range of outcomes.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Eh no can’t get behind that. An org running well on pitching coaching, trainers and scouts is doable and has been a huge advantage to places like San Fran/MN and most notably MIL. Doesn’t mean it will work with kopech but he’s got the biggest range of outcomes.

If you can only point to 2-3 orgs at any given time, and then those orgs can only sustain it for a few years, it's not something reliable. It's like the Sox' run of SP health in the aughts, it will probably never be duplicated, and in hindsight, a large part of it was probably just luck. 

Don't get me wrong, this org has had some of the worst instructors and coaches in baseball the last 5 years or so and I'd love to see improvement there. But expecting anything more than "first do no harm" is too much. At the end of the day players play and coaches coach and there hasn't been a baseball team in history that has had coaching drive their success over a multi year time frame, it's players, always.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

So you think we should try to hire a pitching guru from SF / MIN / MIL?

sounds like a good idea.